PDA

View Full Version : Some more questions about SAWStudio...

ttako
01-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi,

Sorry about I am askin' too mutch...

-How can I use SAWStudio on both my two PCs?
Do I have to buy it twice?

- how mutch Bit does SAWStudio use for the summing busses?

- do I can have some kind of "block diagramm" about the mixer (inputs to outputs including inserts, busses, sends, optoins, routing possibilities?

- can I use virtual instruments like in case of using Nuendo?

- should I use an additional software/PC for woking with MIDI and samplers/virtual instruments, or does SAWStudio this job well too?

Thanks,

Tamas

Bob L
01-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Most of this information is scatterred all throughout the various threads here in much detail... but here is a quick reply...

How can I use SAWStudio on both my two PCs? Do I have to buy it twice? You can use SAWStudio (lite and Full) on up to 8 slave machines with the TCP/IP hooks under the initial license...

How much Bit does SAWStudio use for the summing busses?SAWStudio uses integer math, instead of floating point math for its internal processing in everything but the eq algorithms (which makes minimal use of hand coded assembly floating point)... the summing bus is always a full 32 bit DWORD wide, with all multiplies handled using the full 64 bit internal register width of the EDX/EAX pairs.

Can I have some kind of "block diagram" about the mixer (inputs to outputs including inserts, busses, sends, optoins, routing possibilities?There is a full block diagram of the mixer in the training tutorials Using The Virtual Mixer section.

Can I use virtual instruments like in case of using Nuendo?You can use DirX or VST processing plugins... although then the data path is subject to the math of the individual plugins.

You can use VST virtual instruments in the SAWStudio multitrack... these can be triggered live thru any hardware midi port assignment... with the Midi WorkShop add-on, you are able to do full midi programming to link directly to the VST synths with its internal virtual ports. The MWS uses a hook to lock to the internal clock timing of the one SAWStudio playback engine (locked to the audio card hardware) for absolute sync between audio and midi... there is only one engine... not 2 engines trying to chase each other as in many or most other apps.

Should I use an additional software/PC for woking with MIDI and samplers/virtual instruments, or does SAWStudio this job well too?You can use a second PC to handle midi, but with the Midi WorkShop, you may find that completely unnecessary and very kludgy compared to the one SAWSTudio/MWS combo on a good machine.

Bob L

ttako
01-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi,
I was thinking about using SAWstudio on two PCs (on desktop and on
my notebook) at the same time or even just on one of them at the same
time.

Is it possible?

Can I use some remote controller unit like my Yamaha DM 2000 to control
the mixer's settings? (Eq, fader, sends, dynamics etc?)

Thanks very mutch for all your help!!

I will go to the office romorrow where I have broadband internet and then I can see
the video files. ( I use now my GSM phone and so alldownload is so
slow..)

Tamas

SoundSuite
01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi,
I was thinking about using SAWstudio on two PCs (on desktop and on
my notebook) at the same time or even just on one of them at the same
time.
Legally speaking, your purchase includes rights to use SAWStudio on one machine. You can install it on any one machine and use it on any one machine at a time.
If you just need to have one master, and 8 slaves, this is included in the one purchase in Lite and Full via TCP/IP mode.
If you need to use it on more than one machine simultaneously, buy site licenses for each additional machine.
*please correct if in-accurate, Bob*

Can I use some remote controller unit like my Yamaha DM 2000 to control
the mixer's settings? (Eq, fader, sends, dynamics etc?)

The Yamaha DM2000 is not on the list of supported external hardware faders.
There is a general MIDI template included, that may work for it, but I dunno.

I have a Yamaha ProMix01 I only use for roughing in big mixes.
Once a mix is roughed in, I turn it off, and get it precise in SAW using SAW's automation.
You may find that with SAW, the need for external faders is nulled.

Bob L
01-16-2005, 06:16 PM
You can use the laptop hooked by a network connection to the desktop as a complete remote unit in Remote mode. All mixer controls can be handled on the laptop and they will duplicate on the desktop.

Generally I don't care about installing on both machines to be used at separate times... I do ask for a site license for multiple installs where you will be running multiple sessions and projects all being billed for separately... therefore if you run a business using my work in multiple rooms, I feel I deserve to get paid more than once. The site license fee is a ridiculous tiny portion of the original purchase price.

Bob L

ttako
01-18-2005, 02:35 PM
You can use the laptop hooked by a network connection to the desktop as a complete remote unit in Remote mode. All mixer controls can be handled on the laptop and they will duplicate on the desktop.

Generally I don't care about installing on both machines to be used at separate times... I do ask for a site license for multiple installs where you will be running multiple sessions and projects all being billed for separately... therefore if you run a business using my work in multiple rooms, I feel I deserve to get paid more than once. The site license fee is a ridiculous tiny portion of the original purchase price.

Bob L

Thanks,

I have found the Site price on the website after your reply... (I didn't was knowing what the word "site licence" is for, becouse my poor english...

Just some more questions:

How many LCDs can I use at the same time with SAWstudio?

Can I use touchscreen LCDs instead of standard ones?

Can I set My Yamaha DM2000 console to controll SAW's fader, solo, on/off, pan, Aux send, etc. from the console's surface?

Thanks,

Tamas

SoundSuite
01-18-2005, 02:48 PM
The Yamaha DM2000 is not on the list of supported external hardware faders.
There is a general MIDI template included, that may work for it, but I dunno. ...

ttako
01-18-2005, 02:51 PM

Ok, I've got it... :)

Bob L
01-19-2005, 12:20 AM
You can use as many LCD monitors as your video card will support... SAWStudio does not care... although multi-monitor operation comes with some quirks in Windows.

Try the General Midi template for the DM2000 and set the 2000 to General Midi operation.

I guess you can use touch panels if they emulate mouse commands with some sort of driver... you would have to try it out to see what the limitations (if any) are.

Bob L