PDA

View Full Version : Handy Extenders for ADA8k inputs

glass50
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Just finished building these. Want to post because the compact 8 ch stage box is a new product from Nuetrik that is small and rugged.

Most of us put SAC at stage side with remote FOH. I found that unless stage is extremly small, my standard 25' mic cables don't quite reach from mic to ADA8k. I had 75' of 8 pair Gepco snake left over from an install when I saw the stage boxes. They are Nuetrik NSB1-8/0 $29.78 ea. Added 24 Nuetrik NC3MX $1.94 ea. Cut the snake in thirds and went to work.

Here is a pic.

dbarrow
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Just finished building these. Want to post because the compact 8 ch stage box is a new product from Nuetrik that is small and rugged.

Most of us put SAC at stage side with remote FOH. I found that unless stage is extremly small, my standard 25' mic cables don't quite reach from mic to ADA8k. I had 75' of 8 pair Gepco snake left over from an install when I saw the stage boxes. They are Nuetrik NSB1-8/0 $29.78 ea. Added 24 Nuetrik NC3MX $1.94 ea. Cut the snake in thirds and went to work.

Here is a pic.That's similar to what I do. I have a couple of 12-input 50 footers and a couple of 8-input 50 footers that I use at different times, depending on the stage size and location of the SAC rack. At most of our shows the SAC rack sites just to the side of the drum oriser, so the musicians can get at it to adjust IEM levels, which they seldom do anymore.

ssrsound
07-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I've been using 8x0 Hosa Little Brother snakes, which are almost exactly the same design as the ones you built. They're cheap, the cable is light and flexible, and with the connectors out the side they're very low profile on the stage. They come in 30' and 50', which does just about everything I need on any size stage.

Frank DeWitt
07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I like it a lot. It is small, light weight does the job. Thanks for the tip.

I wonder if people will say that connectors coming out the side will cause them to be stepped on and get broken. I ask because I make a DI box that appears to have connectors coming out the top like a common snake box and people write and say the connectors will get stepped on. :rolleyes:

Frank
http://lbpinc.com/DI.html

Phil
07-02-2010, 04:59 PM
The resistor color coding is a nice touch. :D

Phil
07-02-2010, 05:08 PM
BTW, How did you like the crimp/press-on terminations at the box for the XLR connectors?

glass50
07-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey Phil, They took some understanding. Particulary laying the wire in the groove until cover was snapped. Took more pressure than my thumb to snap latch on both sides. All 24 checked out perfectly. Had 5 & 7 swapped on one box, was able to remove wires then replace on correct terminal with no bad affects (did not use same insulation cuts).

Actually turned the four XLR panel over so that label is up and visible. Also places cable connectors closer to floor, if a big foot gets too close the box tips in that direction.

Have looked at the Hosa 8ch box. Remember I had left over Gepco 8 pair snake, so buying the Nuetrik 8ch box made economic sense to me.

Wam3
07-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Just grabbed a couple of 30ft 8 channel snakes on Ebay. I had been looking for a deal on these for a while. There are still a few more left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190411725345

W

gdougherty
07-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Just grabbed a couple of 30ft 8 channel snakes on Ebay. I had been looking for a deal on these for a while. There are still a few more left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190411725345

W

Open box item from NY. I wonder what truck those fell off of.

Fugedaboudit.

Wam3
07-03-2010, 07:48 PM
lol .... yea, that didnt't even cross my mind. HUmmm..