PDA

View Full Version : sucess with new ASUS notebook

glass50
07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Just finished two shows for 4th of JUly. Both outdoors in Texas heat, Sat evening interupped with rain before 1st band. SAC worked great. Did Sat show with snakes, using note book on stage to get 4 monitor mixes right. Sun show was stage side, using note book for FOH.

Reason for this post is to say how well my new ASUS UL30V win7 worked. Did both shows on one charge and (as I type this) still have 85% of battery left. My Fujitsu Life Book would have been dead in 20m. Secondly, abilty to sync with my wireless G was strong and uniterupted. Not one case of frozen meters even when about 300 ft away. Dont know what is different in wireless but that was amazing.

dbarrow
07-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Just finished two shows for 4th of JUly. Both outdoors in Texas heat, Sat evening interupped with rain before 1st band. SAC worked great. Did Sat show with snakes, using note book on stage to get 4 monitor mixes right. Sun show was stage side, using note book for FOH.

Reason for this post is to say how well my new ASUS UL30V win7 worked. Did both shows on one charge and (as I type this) still have 85% of battery left. My Fujitsu Life Book would have been dead in 20m. Secondly, abilty to sync with my wireless G was strong and uniterupted. Not one case of frozen meters even when about 300 ft away. Dont know what is different in wireless but that was amazing.What permissions, settings, etc. do you use with Win 7? Was the host running XP?

glass50
07-06-2010, 09:03 AM
ASUS notebook settings were taken from Bob's XP reccomendations by finding equivalent in win7 control panel. I did get some other win7 tweaks from a post in this forum. Sorry. can't remember the writer. Try a search on "tweaks". Yes my host is XPsp3, and notebook is win7sp2.
Wireless connection is WEP protected. Apparently 7 & XP won't talk using unsecured like xp to xp did.
Three things are amazing and and good for SACers: Long battery life, I can stay completly wireless for duration of any show I do. Have done two shows now with out a single meter freeze even at distances up to 300'. The notebook weighs 2#. You can wag it any where

dbarrow
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
ASUS notebook settings were taken from Bob's XP reccomendations by finding equivalent in win7 control panel. I did get some other win7 tweaks from a post in this forum. Sorry. can't remember the writer. Try a search on "tweaks". Yes my host is XPsp3, and notebook is win7sp2.
Wireless connection is WEP protected. Apparently 7 & XP won't talk using unsecured like xp to xp did.
Three things are amazing and and good for SACers: Long battery life, I can stay completly wireless for duration of any show I do. Have done two shows now with out a single meter freeze even at distances up to 300'. The notebook weighs 2#. You can wag it any whereThat's interesting about the WEP. I have an XP SP3host, an XP SP3 remote and another netbook remote with Vista SP2. I just use MAC address filtering, no WEP. I do get some strange lockups with the Vista netbook sometimes. I have the whole OS drive on that shared and "full control" set on all the permissions I could find. Perhaps it wants a secure connection, like Windows 7? I don't fully understand the security/sharing details in Vista and Windows 7. You would think you could just set/trun off/whatever the settings you would need to change. Apparently, there is still stuff going on in the background that will hose your setup.

Wink0r
07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I recently saw a Vista (I think) machine that refused to hook up to an unsecured network. I would think that there is a setting somewhere, but it appears that default, at least, is to require some encryption.

dbarrow
07-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I recently saw a Vista (I think) machine that refused to hook up to an unsecured network. I would think that there is a setting somewhere, but it appears that default, at least, is to require some encryption.My Vista netbook (Dell Mini 10) connects just fine. Every once in a while it locks up SAC when saving a mix. Also, saving a mix from another XP remote will lock it up, too. It doesn't do it every time. That is what's confusing for me.

Bob L
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
If you are using my reverb plugin... make sure you have updated to version 2.0... there was a bug in the original that could cause problems on live session saves.

Bob L