PDA

View Full Version : Minor gripe with the radio network...

Oz Nimbus
01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
After listening to the radio network quite a bit, I'm most certainly blown away by the quality of work people are doing with SawStudio. I mean, there is some really, really fantastic stuff being played. (Hey Carlos, your stuff is amazing!)

That being said, I've got one question: "Where's the Rock?" Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the radio network, but I've yet to hear even one rock & roll song..... I guess I can only dream about hearing some metal :)

Right now, the SawStudio radio network kinda strikes me as the "SawStudio easy listening network"

Please don't get offended by this statement, it's merely my observation.

-0z-

AudioAstronomer
01-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I have a rock song up there.

Once I get responses from artists I will hopefully be submitting 2 metal (speed and metalcore) songs and some more indie rock stuff.

I have plenty of rock to submit, but having slight trouble getting permission :)

SoundSuite
01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
0z,

I'm working on it too.
You know how RNR works... ;)

Bob L
01-17-2005, 11:04 AM
There is quite a mix of stuff starting to be submitted. There are quite a few rock things up there already...

I am not concerned about the music style as much as I am concerned about the engineering... we are promoting SAWStudio and engineering here, so the professionalism of the mixing and audio quality is what I am focused on.

Get the mix happening and you will hear it in rotation.

Unfortunately, the playback software is a little weak in the shuffle mode dept as far as I'm concerned and it definitely seems to have favorite slots that come up more than others...

As more stuff gets in the database, it will hopefully even out.

I am working on replacing the software with my own design... and I am changing the system to a faster cpu within the next few days.

Lots of changes going on as the station idea evolves... its been quite a fun journey so far... and will just keep getting better as we go.

Bob L

tomasino
01-17-2005, 12:30 PM
But its just a baby! :eek:

I gotta assume we've only heard the tip of the SawStudio musicberg so far, considering this station was only born a few weeks ago.

Its all been nothin' but a gas man!

Hey, maybe some genre/theme blocks?
N' to help take the "time consuming track eval." burden off of Bob, have the VIP Affiliates do that job. (notice how I excluded myself
from that chore:D).

Hey OZ, whip up a metal style SawStudio promo spot that could be used to introduce some metal tracks. I've never done a promo spot ever in my life, so I've accepted the challenge. Tryin' to demo as many SawStudio features as I can (in my style/genre - whatever that means * I WILL NOT BE PIGEON HOLED:p) in 15 - 30 seconds. Maybe Bob'll be able to use it, maybe he won't...

There's an idea, everyone throw down a fav style/genre promo spot that might be used to introduce tracks of that style/genre. Might really help with the overall flow and transition of things.

Oh, thats another issue/question:
Any guidelines we can follow? For both tracks and promo spots.
This ain't grandmas radio station but I've been guessing tracks shouldn't be > 3:30 - 4:00 long. How much time for a promo spot?

Bob L
01-17-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't think tracks need to be any special length... again, to make the job easier for me... just take your time and make sure what you send has been mixed well... is levelized at a good solid volume without clipping artifacts... tagged correctly as a 192kbyte mp3... etc.

I am not worrying about genre at this time... the station is set to be a mix of music... so we can all hear what the engineering is about, even in music we normally would not listen to... so the important factor here is to send me your best work, not just everything from your collection... good mixing and good sound... even if its Death Metal... make sure its high quality Death Metal. :)

What I really need instead of genre announcements, which really wont apply for now... are testomonials.. no production needed... simple 20-30 secs worth of SAWStudio comments to help make it easier for newbies listening in to get excited about making the jump to SAWStudio.

Carl Grout has started sending in a few promo spots, which you should hear rotating now... they are great... more of these type of things would help kill the repetition of my handful of spots.

The whole idea is fun... you all get to participate... let's get involved. :D

Bob L

mghtx
01-17-2005, 01:14 PM
make sure its high quality Death Metal.

:D Man I laughed for 10 mins after reading that. A classic. :)

AudioAstronomer
01-17-2005, 01:59 PM
The whole promo thing Im totally not getting into heh... What Ive done I dont really like...

I dont listen to any radio or much tv so Im not really sure what a commercial/promo should be like heh... Ill wait and hear the others so I can gett a better idea :-\

tomasino
01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply the promo spot would be nothing but music.
Just a little background stuff with the testimonial over the top.

Like I heard from Carl G. - which sounds real pro. I even checked Angie's webby and listened to her stuff too. Again, real pro. Sounds exactly like the pro stuff I hear on the radio in the car.

Where did you guys get THAT VOICE?
I've been practicing in the shower, the girlfriend thinks I've lost my mind.
I did manage to resell her the shampoo she already bought!

I know OZ can pull it off too. It might sound kinda dark in the background, but if the message comes from a metal guy with awards and label signings to his credit, other metal guys are gonna listen.

Oz Nimbus
01-17-2005, 08:38 PM
I'll admit, I'm partially guilty here: The first thing I submitted was a country song!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It's kinda funny how that came to be, but the band was estatic with the outcome. Apparently, it's starting to gather some steam on Canada's East Coast Radio.
Anyway, I'll hopefully get around to submitting some of my more 'heavier' work shortly. I'm also game for doing a 30 second promo spot..... just make sure you have a clean set of underwear handy!

Anyway, I'm checking out Perry's work with Texas Flood: Seriously awesome stuff! Where can I get a copy?

Burkeville
01-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I think Bob deserves a pat on the back here. What a great idea the radio thing was. Listening to it gave me some ideas for my own mixes that I would not have heard otherwise.
kb

Bob L
01-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Good... that's the idea... listening to good engineering, no matter what kind of music, can be a great learning experience as well as fun.

I agree about Perry's mixes... very excellent work, in my opinion.

And I also want to comment on Todd's Orchestral compositions... excellent... he's ready for a full length movie score in my opinion.

Bob L

Carlos Mills
01-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Hi Oz,

Just now I saw your post...

After listening to the radio network quite a bit, I'm most certainly blown away by the quality of work people are doing with SawStudio. I mean, there is some really, really fantastic stuff being played. (Hey Carlos, your stuff is amazing!)

I am very glad you liked it! Specialy knowing that this is not your favorit stile of music... :) Thanks a lot.

That being said, I've got one question: "Where's the Rock?" Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the radio network, but I've yet to hear even one rock & roll song..... I guess I can only dream about hearing some metal :)

I certainly cannot provide any "metal material" for the forum... but I will be uploading my rock contribution soon...

Best regards,

Carl G.
01-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Like I heard from Carl G. - which sounds real pro. I even checked Angie's webby and listened to her stuff too. Again, real pro. Sounds exactly like the pro stuff I hear on the radio in the car.

Where did you guys get THAT VOICE?
I've been practicing in the shower
Thanks.
That's me.
I practice in the 'studio' ! :)

I finishing up more promos this week.
I would REALLY like some testimonials submitted that I could use in some promos. As I mentioned to Bob... the best promos are the ones where the listener (the customer) does the 'dance' (exciting sell job), and the VO guy (me) just highlights what the customer says. Say whatever you want to say, I can take the best of excerpts and make it shine. If you want, simply email them (on this site) to me. (or if long, I can give you my FTP upload address).

Thanks,
Carl
Carl

Bob L
01-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Carl,

I actually think testemonials would be more impactful in the individual user's voice... not as a professional radio voice...

Stuff like... "I tried many different DAWs and since switching to SAWStudio... blah blah blah..."

See what I mean? :)

Bob L

Naturally Digital
01-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately, the playback software is a little weak in the shuffle mode dept as far as I'm concerned and it definitely seems to have favorite slots that come up more than others...I've noticed that too. It's typical of most "shuttle" features I've tried. Don't know why. Oh well. (as I was typing this, I heard the same comedy skit within a 1hour listening session... go figure) I'm really enjoying this whole concept and I'm pretty blown away with how far it's come in such a short time. If you actually end up coding your own on-air app, I'm sure it'll be pretty amazing. I had to smile when I saw how quickly some minor frustration went straight to "I guess I have to write my own"! I can relate and it's why I'm building my studio from the ground up, myself, from the construction, plumbing, electrical, acoustics and finishing... ;)

Bob, I'm getting a real kick out of listening to your older work. Some *very* classic sounds there! :)

SoundSuite
01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
So, Bob, How much are those 'special slots' going for now?

*winks*

Bob L
01-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I wish I knew how to control those special slots... I can't figure and rhyme or reason to what plays when and why. :)

But, oh well... its still fun and most of the stuff is eventually finding its way into the stream... I'll be putting something together next month probably and then this software can find its way into my closet where most every other peice of software I've purchased is resting. :rolleyes:

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
01-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I think I got lucky to get the least played spots lol. And Im plenty happy with it :)

Bob L
01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Robert,

Seems everytime I look at the screen one of your submissions is online. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
01-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Robert,

Seems everytime I look at the screen one of your submissions is online. :)

Bob L
lol!

I dont listen constantly, but an hour here, an hour there, maybe 4-8 a day depending on the day and Ive only heard one of my submissions once haha.

Timing is everything!

Bob L
01-20-2005, 02:54 AM
David,

Bob, I'm getting a real kick out of listening to your older work. Some *very* classic sounds there! Thanks for the comments on my older work. There are some fun memories in all that stuff...

Definitely has been fun bringing it all into SAWStudio and sprucing it up for the station.

Bob L

SoundSuite
01-21-2005, 01:36 AM
profanity guidelines, Bob?
...no profanity at all,
ok if 'not understood',
a word or two ok,
or no holds barred?

ps, Make sure you program genre times into your new web application, Bob :D
You have prolly already thought of it yourself, but programming genres around time slots would be a good way to 'intermingle' all the various types you are getting.

*thinks of a 'naughty on the nines' rotation where at :45 of every hour, you lock up your daughters and let some rip ;)*

Bob L
01-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Right now, I think its kind of fun mixing them all up... as I stated in earlier posts.

Bob L

SoundSuite
01-21-2005, 01:08 PM
cool, cool...waddabout profanity?

I have 6 submissions that are profanity free

Another 3 that have 'limited' instances, ie one word or phrase
('pick your a$$ up off the floor', 'you'll never take my f_king soul', and 'f_k a waste' are the three lines from the three songs, in particular)

These 9 songs are high-energy RNR...

...I also have some hard core that is really, really 'verbal', but only if you hear it thru the grunts ;)

Bob L
01-22-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't want to play censorship judge and jury, but I am not a fan of profanity in music... especially for what we're trying to accomplish with SAWStudio Radio Network...

We are celebrating engineering and audio quality as well as the music on the station, so use your better judgement and send in what you feel demonstrates that... in the end, it will or it won't get played based on how we feel about it when we hear it. :)

Bob L

Bruce Callaway
01-22-2005, 02:05 AM
I don't want to play censorship judge and jury, but I am not a fan of profanity in music...
Bob L
I applaud this as I think profanity in music has gone way over the top. Good move Bob.

Cheers
Bruce

Mountain Media
01-22-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't want to play censorship judge and jury, but I am not a fan of profanity in music...
Bob L
I applaud this as I think profanity in music has gone way over the top. Good move Bob.

Cheers
Bruce
... in the end, it will or it won't get played based on how we feel about it when we hear it. :) Also, good move Bob to remind folks of this. It IS your call and I applaud your decision to MAKE the calls!! Thank goodness SSRN doesn't have to be completely FCC controlled - neither does it have to be 'anything goes', as some commercial stations feel.

strictly my opinion -- Thanks for listening!

Carl G.
01-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Carl,

I actually think testemonials would be more impactful in the individual user's voice... not as a professional radio voice...

Stuff like... "I tried many different DAWs and since switching to SAWStudio... blah blah blah..."

See what I mean? :)

Bob L

Yep....I agree, That's *exactly* what I mean - let the "customer do the dance". (I was talking about a 3 word slogan type tag relating to the testimonial). But you're right even about a tag .... _MUCH_ more powerful is the testimonial that can stand on its own without a VO 'selling' the pitch. That's the *ideal* testimonial.

Carl G.
01-25-2005, 09:33 AM

Cheers
Bruce
Bob, I *echo* (with level controls full blast :)).
Sometimes it seems a cheap substitute for real communication of ideas and feelings.

tomasino
02-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm also game for doing a 30 second promo spot..... just make sure you have a clean set of underwear handy!

He played one of my goofy promo spots :eek: :eek: !
I about fell outta my chair, I couldn't believe it.
That was fun. Made my day. :D
Thanks Bob.

Bob L
02-24-2005, 08:49 PM
I finally got caught up with the submissions since the fire... there are a few new submissions out there cycling around now... tune in. :)

Bob L

Perry
02-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Anyway, I'm checking out Perry's work with Texas Flood: Seriously awesome stuff! Where can I get a copy?

Glad you liked it Oz. A Rock and Roll tragedy this one... the singer/gtr player fell in love and ran off with some gal just as they were finishing the project. The drummer chucked it in over that and that's all she wrote. No band anymore and it was really never released... but ummmm.... I do have the masters! ;)

I still work with the drummer on other projects that he's involved in here but don't know what happened to the singer... or if he stuck with his gal or not. An old story.. the girl broke up the band! :rolleyes:

Too bad.... those guys could really cook.. and the drummer's a monster! I was really disappointed that they broke up.

Perry

bcorkery
02-25-2005, 12:53 PM
the singer/gtr player fell in love and ran off with some gal
A regular Yoko!

Pedro Itriago
02-25-2005, 02:38 PM
It doesn't go away with the years, does it?. All the time that has passed by & still she's the landmark for such things. She has to be very proud.

A regular Yoko!