PDA

View Full Version : I can live without 72 tracks, but

Sam C
01-18-2005, 10:52 AM
can I live without a zoom and wide mixer view?

Anybody have any strong opinions about this?

Thanks,

Sam

Bob L
01-18-2005, 11:30 AM
The interface without the Zoom and Wide view is still one of the most powerful and fastest interfaces around for getting to so many mixer controls... you should be fine... but once you get used to the extra power of the Zoom and Wide Mixer views and work them into your F-Key workspaces... its pretty darn hard to go back. :)

Bob L

Sam C
01-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks Bob. Is it in the future to include these features in lite or does that get too many versions in the system?

Sam

Bob L
01-18-2005, 11:37 AM
These two views are one of the major separators between the versions and truly offer a more professional approach for people doing complex and dense session work... I'm pretty sure they will remain in the full version only.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
01-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I always thought it would be cool if you could purchase the views as "add-ons" for what bob feels is a reasonable fee.

That would allow the users to make best of their purchase, and allow Bob to receive business from people who wish those extra features but do not earn enough money to afford the full version.

Dave Labrecque
01-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I never use the W mixer. I always use the Z mixer. Oh, well... :)

mghtx
01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
I always thought it would be cool if you could purchase the views as "add-ons" for what bob feels is a reasonable fee.

Whoo......never thought of that. That would be mega cool. :D

Edit: Can I get 24 virtual tracks to go with that please? :p :D

Carl G.
01-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I use the Wide mixer extensively, and who could ever go without the Zmixer??
I don't know how you lite guys work :) but it's a whole different world with Wide and Z mixers!
I never paid attention to it... but the lite ... is pretty lite
(lots of full features.... but, whew... that Wide and Z Mixer is quite a 'payload' :)
And the full version is .... well.... "Heavy, man, real heavy" !
(ol' haight-ashbury comin' out)
Carl

Rabbit
01-18-2005, 02:00 PM
I always thought it would be cool if you could purchase the views as "add-ons" for what bob feels is a reasonable fee.I'm a reasonable guy who reasonably wants the Wide and Zoom views and is willing to pay a reasonable price for the features.

Or am I being unreasonable?

Sorry too much caffeine :o

SoundSuite
01-18-2005, 02:05 PM
72 Stereo Channels
Zoom Mixer
Wide Mixer
8 Layers on each MT Channel

mmmmmhmmmmm :D

I'd hate to think of Life as we know it without the Z mixer at least.
I couldn't live without the W either, but Z is a minimum ;)

For the quickness they lend to the overall workflow, they alone are worth the "Full" price, with more MT Channels and Layers as a bonus.

mghtx
01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
but the lite ... is pretty lite

WHAT?! Compared to what? I'd LOVE to get the lite version and plan on doing so this year. All for two reasons.....layers and TCP/IP linking.

But as I said in the SAW vs. Nuendo thread, I'd take SSbasic over anything else out there if I had no other choice. :)

Dave Labrecque
01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I just don't ever find myself using the W Mixer. Can you guys tell me how you use it? Maybe I'll start working it in. Same deal with the F Mixer.

Yura
01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
...I never use the W mixer. I always use the Z mixer. Oh, well...

I use the SSB but never can dispense with W mixer... that's why I had switched bmp of W mixer sometimes over my SSB windows :D (crazy)

As I mentioned earlier, I just don't ever find myself using the W Mixer. Can you guys tell me how you use it? Maybe I'll start working it in. Same deal with the F Mixer.

OK. If you wanna see everything at the time, then you switch to W mixer!

SoundSuite
01-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Dave,

W Mixer:
Pop open the Wide Mixer via FKey, or View>Wide Mixer

Once open, it displays all channel 'settings' in one window...
Scroll with mouse (at least here) and it scrolls channels as the MT Hot Track changes.

I do not use it in my default views (F-Keys), but it is very usefull for verifiing all channel settings in a single view, then comparing to another channel.
The W mixer comes into play with me really heavy when going down drum tracks channel by channel.
It's just so nice to be able to see all channel settings in one quick overview
...you can also set storage cells for the channel here like you can in the Z mixer by left click hold and rt.click then release.

Z and F Mixers:
I keep the Z mixer in one strip (or two) on the left of my monitor for quick access to just a section of the channel.

I usually keep my F Mixer across the bottom of the screen, and cover it with FX choices, Pre, Post and Final patch points when not used.
Just a way I've found to consolidate my favorite views into one F-Key...
gotta love the allowed flexibility :D

I've attached images to make visual sense of the text.
http://www.clanmist.com/files/posttunes/sawpics/saw-showfx.JPG

http://www.clanmist.com/files/posttunes/sawpics/saw-hidefx.JPG

Craig Allen
01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Wow, Jon - that's almost how I have my desktop set. Us boys from NC must think alike.

conleec
01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I never use the W mixer. I always use the Z mixer. Oh, well... :)

I'll give you two Z Mixers for your W mixer... :p

Chris

Dave Labrecque
01-18-2005, 03:58 PM
OK. If you wanna see everything at the time, then you switch to W mixer!
Hi George,

Yeah, I know. But When is this useful?

Dave Labrecque
01-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Cool. That's a great idea -- comparing channel settings across many tracks.

Dave Labrecque
01-18-2005, 04:03 PM
:p

SoundSuite
01-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow, Jon - that's almost how I have my desktop set. Us boys from NC must think alike.
But it looked like water ;)

(old moonshiners joke)

Oz Nimbus
01-18-2005, 04:30 PM

That would allow the users to make best of their purchase, and allow Bob to receive business from people who wish those extra features but do not earn enough money to afford the full version.

Great idea! I would be first in line for this kind of addon. :)

Shawn
01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
I find the wide mixer view very useful, it's so nice to select a track, then switch to an F-Key view of the wide mixer, and have all of that track's controls available for tweaking at the same time, especially all of the auxes and EQ settings.

I'm just a home recordist, and I made the choice to go with the full version of SAWStudio because I had to have both the wide and zoom mixer views, I really wouldn't want to mix without either of 'em.

SAWStudio (full) with the Midi WorkShop, plus all three of Bob's plugins costs a little less than a Mackie 24x8 console with the meterbridge if purchased thru a VIP affiliate, I have both, and I'll give you one guess as to which setup has been sitting unused in it's box for about a year now... LOL!

The full version is IMO worth every cent that Bob asks for it, if I were a "pro", and earning my living using SS, it would most certainly be my choice.

:)

Craig Allen
01-18-2005, 05:55 PM
But it looked like water ;)

(old moonshiners joke)
Yep, NC, no doubt!

AudioAstronomer
01-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Great idea! I would be first in line for this kind of addon. :)
I suggested it about 2 years ago... Dont think it got a response? Oh well... bob see's a potential for it at least, even if he doesnt feel it feasable

Bob L
01-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Dave,

Watch my live band demo video online and you will see me using the Wide Mixer almost exclusively while setting up the mix.

A quick and easy way to access all controls in one screen and also see patched plugins... as you simply wheel the mouse through the Wide Mixer... you skip through all the channels and see everything going on in one glance... its an awesome way to setup and finetune a mix.

Bob L

Carl G.
01-19-2005, 08:30 AM
(lite) WHAT?! Compared to what? I'd LOVE to get the lite version and plan on doing so this year. All for two reasons.....layers and TCP/IP linking.
:)
Take a look at the comparison chart on SawStudio.com.
Specifically... Lite is missing the Wide Mixer and Z mixer.
Full, includes both. (and lots more)

While I am totally sold on SawStudio.... I think if there was only a Lite version, I'd probably be looking elsewhere. And of course...that resistance (as Bob says) is 'futile' :)... so I'd wind up back with the Lite ! I'm just trying to emphasize the point that Full is the clear choice - Fast, Full, and Fun!
As Jim Backus use to say for the airline company "The Only Way To Fly"

Carl

Dave Labrecque
01-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Good info. I'm gonna have to work that into my routine. Thanks. And I'll definitely check out the video.

ghowardjr
01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I am one of the relatively few users who learned on SawStudioLite, and then upgraded to SawStudio. I find most of the time I use SSL for my projects. I don't miss the W mixer or the Z mixer. I set up a workspace view that has a lot of channels showing via the F mixer and one of the full channel strips. I can see the fader settings, which is most important to me, and i can quickly get to the EQ settings, etc via the hot zones on the channel strip. Honestly, it's not as impressive looking, but I can't really say that I miss the other mixer views. Plus, they take up much more screen real estate.

YMMV, of course,
Gary

Sam C
01-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I will start with Lite. If I can't deal with the lack of mixer views, I'll upgrade. Or, as I become more of a familiar face here, I will work on Bob from a marketing angle as to how he will benefit immensley by selling the W in the Lite! :D

mghtx
01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Take a look at the comparison chart on SawStudio.com.

Specifically... Lite is missing the Wide Mixer and Z mixer.

Yeah, I know that chart well. :cool:

I think if there was only a Lite version, I'd probably be looking elsewhere.

WOW! :eek:

I'm just trying to emphasize the point that Full is the clear choice

Well.....I agree. But thanks to Bob for giving us a choice. Otherwise I wouldn't be using SAW right now. :)

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will start with Lite. If I can't deal with the lack of mixer views, I'll upgrade. :D

I probably sound like a broken record on this, but Library Views - Oh man, I'm addicted to having 6 library views open at once while working. That's really the killer feature in the full version for me.

(That'd be another one I'd pay on a per library basis to add to my student Studio Basic machines by the way)

Dave Tosti-Lane

PS - but you get 2 of 'em with Lite, so that's certainly a good start!

SoundSuite
01-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Admit it Dave,

You like to tease the students with the Lib Views, doncha
;)

Dave Tosti-Lane
01-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Admit it Dave,

You like to tease the students with the Lib Views, doncha
;)

Dang, I am SO busted! :eek: :)

Dave