PDA

View Full Version : Mac Drive Curiosity

bcorkery
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Today, I tried to open and SDII session that a client brought in on a CD. My PC wouldn't even see anything on the disc. I even tried to import it into a Pro Tools session but it couldn't be read in that or Sound Forge, nothing.

Is this the expected behavior if the disc was burned by and old Mac? Also, if I invested in Mac Drive, should I be able to see the files?

I know this has been brought up before but it's the first time I couldn't see anything on a disc that looks, from visual inspection, that there was something on there.

Thanks again.

Mark Stebbeds
07-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Is this the expected behavior if the disc was burned by and old Mac? Also, if I invested in Mac Drive, should I be able to see the files?

I can't remember the last time ...if ever ...that I had a CD-R that was burned in Mac only format as opposed to universal format ISO 9660 or whatever that's called, so I don't know what should be visible on the disk.

But you can get a free demo of Mac Drive and find out if that works for you. It's a no brainer to use. You just install it and forget about it, and it sees Mac formatted drives. Unless you want to format a drive as Mac from your PC, then you have to check a box.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

Make sure you get the correct version if your OS is older than XP sp2

Mark

bcorkery
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Thank you Mark. Downloading the demo now.

cgrafx
08-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Today, I tried to open and SDII session that a client brought in on a CD. My PC wouldn't even see anything on the disc. I even tried to import it into a Pro Tools session but it couldn't be read in that or Sound Forge, nothing.

I know this has been brought up before but it's the first time I couldn't see anything on a disc that looks, from visual inspection, that there was something on there.

Thanks again.

MACs burn standard ISO (MAC/PC) disks by default, unless using a 3rd party software program explicitly set to burn a MAC only file-system.

Its more likely they brought you a blank disk.

We see this more often then you'd think. People copy the files to the disk, but forget to actually burn the files.

Mark Stebbeds
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
MACs burn standard ISO (MAC/PC) disks by default, unless using a 3rd party software program explicitly set to burn a MAC only file-system.

Its more likely they brought you a blank disk.

In older Mac OS ...not that long ago .... it was common to burn Mac only CD-R on a Mac. I don't remember if that was the default of the software(s) or a preference, but it was common in the music biz.

Although it seems weird to me that you wouldn't "see" something on the Mac disk, even if you couldn't open the file.

Mark

bcorkery
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Although it seems weird to me that you wouldn't "see" something on the Mac disk, even if you couldn't open the file.That's what baffled me. I saw the pitted area on the disc but, from explorer to Sound Forge to PTLE I I saw (no pun intended) nothing!

It was Sharpied, "SDII - Pro Tools files" on the top o' the disc.

Thanks again.

Mark Stebbeds
08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
So how did that work out? Did MacDrive help, or was the disk blank?

Mark

bcorkery
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
My client took the disc. I'll have to wait until he comes back in. I didn't want to try to copy something I couldn't see.