PDA

View Full Version : Latency Compensation

Ed Snape
01-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I am still confused about proper use of the JMS Latency Compensator. If I use a SIR 1008 reverb on only one track in a mix down, do I need to use the compensator on just that track, on all other tracks but the SIR track, or all all tracks?

Thank you, Ed

AudioAstronomer
01-18-2005, 12:09 PM
just that track!

Ed Snape
01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
AudioAstronomer just that track!

Thank you Robert. My logic says that all other tracks need to be compensated, retarded,by the amount of latency introduced by effect. From what you say, that is not the way the compensator works. So does the compensator retard all tracks but the one with effect latency? Perhaps I misunderstand latency in the first place. This old brain has developed a lot of latency of its own. ;)

Jay Q
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
John says it shifts the track in question forward. Take a look here, Ed.

http://www.jms-audioware.com/latency.htm

Jay

Bob L
01-18-2005, 01:23 PM
The SAWStudio engine allows native plugins to return any buffer size or none at all and the engine will compensate by adjusting the data sent to that track (more or less) until the track fills the requested buffer size. Therefore, no plugin need ever create a latency issue by absorbing x number of buffers before processing it's algorithm.

Jon's plugin uses that technology to throw away the first buffers of blank data coming from the plugin which is absorbing data and sending back blank buffers... which is a limitation of the VST protocol.

If the plugin itself was written native SAWStudio, there would never need to be a latency problem.

Bob L

brent
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
So, I am sitting here with about 10k in Pro Tools HD plugs from Waves, etc, etc, etc, wondering why these bone heads don't get onboard and write for the SAW platform. I understand the economy of scale bit, but I sure do like and miss some great plugs.

Dingo
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I recall reading somewhere that VST plugs induce latency of some amount. Is this true? If it is, how would I figure out what that latency is?

SoundSuite
01-18-2005, 04:14 PM
So, I am sitting here with about 10k in Pro Tools HD plugs from Waves, etc, etc, etc, wondering why these bone heads don't get onboard and write for the SAW platform. I understand the economy of scale bit, but I sure do like and miss some great plugs.
That would mean admitting Bob whipped their collective a$$e$.
;)

No, really, the programmers are coming.
As SAW is getting known, and 'heard', they will come.

brent
01-18-2005, 07:02 PM
I recall reading somewhere that VST plugs induce latency of some amount. Is this true? If it is, how would I figure out what that latency is?

All plugs generate latency (delay). All outboard processors do as well. Usually, the ones that generate the most are the mastering compressor/limiters, delays, quality verbs, etc.

up untill recently, in all NON SAW DAW's, you had to insert a delay compensating plugs on each channel that needed to be ligned up. Now most have builf in delay compensation, but it is a joke. It cannot possibly compensate for everything. You still must do manual tweaking if you want it to be exact, and I do.

SAW allows for it to be backed out on it's own? Great.

AudioAstronomer
01-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Not all plugins have a latency, where did you get that from?

almost every non-lookahead or linear-phase plugin is sample accurate. buffers are returned in the manner they are received. That is about 98% of plugins out there these days.

brent
01-18-2005, 10:40 PM

almost every non-lookahead or linear-phase plugin is sample accurate. buffers are returned in the manner they are received. That is about 98% of plugins out there these days.

Sure they do. All of the TDM plus that I have atleast 3 ms delay, and as many as 350 or so.

Bob L
01-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Robert is correct... 'ALL Plugins create Latency'... is more hogwash digital myth.

In TDM land... that is a built-in problem because of the dsp required... in SAWStudio land... most plugins use the internal PC cpu and there is no added latency. Only certain algorithms will add latency in VST protocol... which again is not the same for DirectX or native SAWStudio plugs.

Most all of the dsp based plugins for the PC also add latency... that's why I do not normally use them... its such a pleasure to just patch anything I want where and when I want it without worrying about phase and latency problems being introduced into a complex mix.

Things are different in SAWStudio land... you cannot compare it to TDM and PT land... you are missing the ride if you try... let SAWStudio take you where it can take you without trying to always make it work like the other systems.

Much more fun that way... and you may still be able to sell your 10k worth of plugs on ebay before everybody else figures it out and switches to SAWStudio too. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
01-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Brent, even with VST and DX, there is rarely a latency in plugins. Let alone saw's format.

yet another reason why I think protools is a joke :( Even the free Kristal audio multitracker can run plugins with no latency at all!

It's just the horrible design of the TDM system that promises no latency, but adds it in more places than any other system, then you have tons of trouble correcting it properly.

mghtx
01-19-2005, 01:01 PM

From articles in magazines and on websites. I know because I've read them. ;)

yet another reason why I think protools is a joke Even the free Kristal audio multitracker can run plugins with no latency at all!

TRUE. I remember when I first found this out I thought, "You gotta be kidding me!" All that money being spent.........there are days when I'm glad I don't have that kind of money ( though they are few :p ). I'm forced to find alternatives and in doing so I find a lot of "truths". Another reason I found out about SAW....because I was searching. And found GOLD!! :)