PDA

View Full Version : Saw Studio Basic and M-Audio Omnistudio

ummi
01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I purchased M-Audio Omnistudio USB sound card and have problem, when I want to record 4 tracks simultanously at 24 bit 48 khz, then I get right channel very weak( seen on the mixer and heard in recording). I configured M-Audio ASIO driver as 4- in 2- out channels as discribed in M-Audio Omnistudio manual to get two stereo in put-pairs an one output pair ( or 4 mono inputs and 2 mono outputs). It must record so at 24 bit 48khz , but don´t. If I plug only one stereo pair from SawStudio menu it's also the same. Both righ -input channels are wery weak(difference over 30 db). The level can be corrected from input mixer popup menu, but I think the difference is too large. When I plug the soundcard to 16 bit resolution 4 in/ 4 out, the levels are normall! This problem appears equally on normal PC(1,7 GHz Intel-Pentium Celeron and Dell Laptop-Pentium II 336 Mhz)
How to solve this problem?
If I tried Steinberg Wave Lab 5 on PC 1,7 ghz M-Audio ASIO driver in the same conditions then the stereo is O.K.
U.T.

SoundSuite
01-19-2005, 12:47 PM
weird...

I've never used one of those devices before but broadly speaking:
First things first, for USB, you'll need v2.0
-and-
A good powered hub (most motherboards have good power, but some external 2-1, 4-1 hubs do not)

Assuming those 2 requirements are filled...
Which OS, etc are you running?
Supply more specs, please.

Fromyour post:
"This problem appears equally on normal PC(1,7 GHz Intel-Pentium Celeron and Dell Laptop-Pentium II 336 Mhz)"

Unless you installed an aftermarket USB controller into the PII 333, it has at best USB v1.1, but I'd 'bet' on v1.0.
Since the behavior is the same on both machines, and the one is definately below specs for USB audio, I'm thinking that the 1.7 Cel is v1.1 or v2.0 that is not properly configured.

...we'll see.

AudioAstronomer
01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Im 99% sure that device will work at full capacity at USB 1.1

Aldo I beleive I have one lying around in my cable closet.

Are you setting up sawstudio to use ASIO? If it is in the default MME mode, this is most likely a problem with windows sound mixer applet.

Read the saw manual and check for how to set it to ASIO and that may fix your problem

If not, Ill go find the omnistudio and try it out on my laptop see if I cant get the same thing to happen.

ummi
01-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Im 99% sure that device will work at full capacity at USB 1.1

Aldo I beleive I have one lying around in my cable closet.

Are you setting up sawstudio to use ASIO? If it is in the default MME mode, this is most likely a problem with windows sound mixer applet.

Read the saw manual and check for how to set it to ASIO and that may fix your problem

If not, Ill go find the omnistudio and try it out on my laptop see if I cant get the same thing to happen.

I did everything to set up ASIO driver by manual, but the level in both right channels remains wery low( in res. 24 /48 only). Now I use 4 mono -inputs in Saw Studio and can correct the input level as +20 db right and -26 db left, but it looks strange.
If You can -try it yourself. May be my M-Audio is a little out of order.
U.T.

AudioAstronomer
01-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Did you configure SAW for ASIO though? Your original post says you configured it according to the OmniStudio drivers, which would not include the information to prepare sawstudio to use ASIO as opposed to MME or WDM.

ummi
01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Did you configure SAW for ASIO though? Your original post says you configured it according to the OmniStudio drivers, which would not include the information to prepare sawstudio to use ASIO as opposed to MME or WDM.

Yes, I configured Saw for ASIO too. May be my computers USB port card (I use extra USB 2 card with three ports) do the trick. I must try onboard USB 1 port. On the laptop I used original port, but the same problem remained.
U.T.

AudioAstronomer
01-20-2005, 09:01 PM
I cant replicate this issue at all.

This sounds like a bad setting or hardware issue somewhere :(

ummi
01-21-2005, 04:39 AM
I cant replicate this issue at all.

This sounds like a bad setting or hardware issue somewhere :(

I think also as Bob L. quoted, that the driver version is not supported by Saw Studio.
I'm waiting now info from M-Audio what driver version they used in M-Audio Omnistudio.
Nevertheless I have made some recordings with my extra settings and results seemed not bad. No extra nois or clipping. 24 bit works. But this are the first impresssions only.
U.T.

ummi
01-22-2005, 04:14 AM
I think also as Bob L. quoted, that the driver version is not supported by Saw Studio.
I'm waiting now info from M-Audio what driver version they used in M-Audio Omnistudio.
Nevertheless I have made some recordings with my extra settings and results seemed not bad. No extra nois or clipping. 24 bit works. But this are the first impresssions only.
U.T.
I would like to report about my doings. I havn't got info about M-Audio
driver yet. But I'm trying to record with L-26 R+20.When I recording so I
can't get maximum level in right channel, the level remains on -29db like
using hard limiter (in left cahnnel I can get Odb and over).Does it mean
something?
So I can't get normal level in riht channel to record this moment
U.T.

Shawn
01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Are you inputting to SAW directly thru SAW's mono input devices list?

ummi
01-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Are you inputting to SAW directly thru SAW's mono input devices list?

Yes I do. But the level in right channel never rises over -29db, like with compressor-limiter.
If I put as stereo , I can't regulate only right channel level but both together.
U.T.

ummi
02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
U.T.

I got answer from M-Audio that they made test with Saw Studio and get the same results. Now they will contact with Saw Studio group and try to solve the problem between companies.
ummi

Shawn
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
That's cool, hopefully the problem will get straightened out quickly!!

:)

Bob L
02-21-2005, 12:19 AM
This problem is now fixed in the new version 3.9d coming soon.

M-Audio was kind enough to send me an OmniStudio to test and I was able to track down the problem within hours.

The problem was in my code so a fix was easy to implement. :)

Bob L

Rabbit
02-21-2005, 12:55 AM
This problem is now fixed in the new version 3.9d coming soon.

MThe problem was in my code so a fix was easy to implement. :)

Bob L

I have to ask; Where else in the world can you go, what product can you buy, where the inventor/developer is accessible and willing to help troubleshoot problems and is willing to create fixes or enhancements to his code based on the customers input or the result of testing his product against third party products. (Rhetorical question of course)

I continue to be impressed (an understatement) with the SAW product and amazed at the support provide by Bob L. .

Mr. Lentini, I salute you.

SoundSuite
02-21-2005, 01:35 AM
This error does not effect me, but I must say I am impressed with the work between Bob and M-Audio.
Not just one, but two companies taking care of business!

ummi
03-03-2005, 04:45 AM
This error does not effect me, but I must say I am impressed with the work between Bob and M-Audio.
Not just one, but two companies taking care of business!

:) Yes .That's nice. Bob L. added codes for M.Audio Omnistudio and now all seem O.K.The Beta version of Saw Studio Basic works nice as multitrack with ASIO drivers at 24 bit 48 khz 4 channels simultanoeusly.
ummi

AudioAstronomer
03-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Would there be a reason why i wasnt able to reproduce this with my omnistudio? Perhaps I was using it differently or something?