PDA

View Full Version : Remote control mode

AudioAstronomer
06-08-2004, 12:30 PM
this isnt a problem or a request. I am currently on a break while doing an entire session with remote mode, walking around the studio using my laptop to control recording. It's so fantastic!

Bob L
06-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Robert,

You are something... less than two weeks in the SAWStudio family and you are exploring things many 2 and 3 year members don't even know exist within the code...

My hat is off to you. :D

Be careful about extensive editing while Remote Mode is active... many editing functions are not handled and can cause problems when certain commands are not echoed between systems... so my tip is to enjoy the recording and console adjustment control from the remote... but then break the link and go back to the Master machine to edit and manipulate the session.

Bob L

TotalSonic
06-08-2004, 02:05 PM
And to think it was only a few months ago that Robert sent me a long list of all the included plugins & features that come with Samplitude 7 wondering whether each one was matched by a similar feature in SAWStudio! Very glad to see someone figuring out on their own that quality and certain "intangibles" like work flow & stability can often be better than having a few extra plugs!!

Robert - it's been really great having you as an active part of the SAW community too!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AudioAstronomer
06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Be careful about extensive editing while Remote Mode is active... many editing functions are not handled and can cause problems when certain commands are not echoed between systems... so my tip is to enjoy the recording and console adjustment control from the remote... but then break the link and go back to the Master machine to edit and manipulate the session.

Bob L

Yep. Im just using this to record various takes using layers while auditioning mics, then going to the control room to audition the, up to, 128 tracks of, and over 3 hours worth of auditions. Walk around moving mics, taking notes on what is where and what is what for which track/layer/position. I filled almost 8 hours of recording time miking a drumset today :) I will be auditioning the takes tonight and have the drumset ready for a retake tommorow (I convinced the drummer to redo his tracks... *pumps fist*).

It would be real nice if you could assign a "note" to each region (say, 64 characters?). My handwriting is very, very bad, and i have 10 pages of legal pad I have to interpret. blech. Sawstudio would not only be saving me well over the 300K$ I just sold in outboard a month ago, but a good couple hundred in ink and paper a month. :)

AudioAstronomer
06-08-2004, 02:10 PM
and to think it was only a few months ago that Robert sent me a long list of all the included plugins & features that come with Samplitude 7 wondering whether each one was matched by a similar feature in SAWStudio! Very glad to see someone figuring out on their own that quality and certain "intagibles" like work flow & stability can often be better than having a few extra plugs!!

Robert - it's been really great having you an active part of the SAW community too!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

If it werent for your incredible patience with me, which I know is quite hard, Id still be haggling with samplitude and/or protools and racks of equipment that loved to take up the good part of my creative time to patch together.

Ive never seen someone (steve) take so much time explaining with a person so critical(me) of their ways of working. Can you imagine if /I/ ventured to the cakewalk/protools/nuendo forum? I hardly think anyone would be as accomodating. Though I must say, samplitude folks were very nice when I became an obstinate ass.

TotalSonic
06-08-2004, 02:47 PM
It would be real nice if you could assign a "note" to each region (say, 64 characters?). My handwriting is very, very bad, and i have 10 pages of legal pad I have to interpret. blech. Sawstudio would not only be saving me well over the 300K$ I just sold in outboard a month ago, but a good couple hundred in ink and paper a month. :)

One way around this is a nice little VST plugin called "Scibbler". It allows you to enter text for your notes. When you automate a bypass for it doesn't actually change anything but it does allow you to create a marker in the multitrack so you can reference it as a time point for the notes you are entering. Make sure if you use it that you put it on an unused track - because it does not pass audio through it.

http://scripts.dsl.pipex.net/sitetracker/dlcount.php?id=eXpeRIMentFOUR&url=http://www.experimentfour.dsl.pipex.com/files/scribbler.versionONE.zip

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic
06-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Ive never seen someone (steve) take so much time explaining with a person so critical(me) of their ways of working. Can you imagine if /I/ ventured to the cakewalk/protools/nuendo forum? I hardly think anyone would be as accomodating. Though I must say, samplitude folks were very nice when I became an obstinate ass.

Actually I had a lot of fun talking about SAW and got some education on some things regarding Samplitude with our email conversations too. I happen to think that Samp7 is a great app too - I just like SAWStudio a lot better! :)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AudioAstronomer
06-08-2004, 02:52 PM
One way around this is a nice little VST plugin called "Scibbler". It allows you to enter text for your notes. When you automate a bypass for it doesn't actually change anything but it does allow you to create a marker in the multitrack so you can reference it as a time point for the notes you are entering. Make sure if you use it that you put it on an unused track - because it does not pass audio through it.

http://scripts.dsl.pipex.net/sitetracker/dlcount.php?id=eXpeRIMentFOUR&url=http://www.experimentfour.dsl.pipex.com/files/scribbler.versionONE.zip

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I've used scribbler, but like you said, it "wastes" a track, and is not a per region base. I would like per region if possible, especially with the way regions are set (many regions per file), it would help very much with keeping sessions organized.

Bob L
06-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Robert,

Region names allow about 130 characters... that can be very handy for keeping short notes about the region just in the name...

For example:

Lead Vocal - (Good take_Forceful performance_Possibly the one as the final)

Use parenthesis or square brackets to encase notes... don't use the vertical bar or curly brackets because SAWStudio uses them for certain parsing functions.

You get the idea. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Hrm. But there's not a quick way to view the entire note. Perhaps a more elegant way to name and view the names of regions.

TotalSonic
06-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Robert -
You might also want to check out Rail Rogut's SAWStudio EDL Investigator. It's a utility that allows you to print out all kinds of session data - such as region names, their timings, file names, etc.etc. It also provides a bunch of tools for moving & blending edl elements and some other cool stuff. It might be just what you are looking for - $57.50 from http://www.railjonrogut.com/ssedlmain.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
06-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Robert,

Make an F-Key workspace with the Regions View stretched all the way across your 1280 or higher screen...

That shows a good sized note in one shot without side scrolling.

When you need to read notes, simply F-Key to that view and read away.

Again, this is just a quick tip to get going for now while I look into the code to handle notes in a future update.

Bob L

Carl G.
06-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Bob,
Excellent idea!
It was great! The alt. F-key to see all the text in regions works perfect!
(also that the SS 'Q' system is fantastic too!)

It would be nice just to have a general session notes box on MT console trim...as drop down... simply referencing a text file in the project directory.
... not needed... but nice. I would use it for session activity/billing notes or agency preferences.

Carl

AudioAstronomer
06-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Robert,

Make an F-Key workspace with the Regions View stretched all the way across your 1280 or higher screen...

That shows a good sized note in one shot without side scrolling.

When you need to read notes, simply F-Key to that view and read away.

Again, this is just a quick tip to get going for now while I look into the code to handle notes in a future update.

Bob L

Well that was a very enjoyable post from my perspective :) Not only do I now have a solution, I have the hope the idea will be implemented in the future. as my wife would say.... "yay!"