PDA

View Full Version : Have As Many Physical Fader Chans As You Want!

Bob L
09-05-2010, 06:49 PM
You do realize that with the existing templates you can easily have 48 faders or more...

Take an existing template for 16 faders and then use a netbook for the next 16 faders with the same template... etc.

With 3 netbooks and some BCF or MotorMix units you could easily setup 48 faders... and they could be locked to the first 48 input chans, if you want, exactly emulating the idea of a physical console as far as the NEED to be an octopus at FOH.

You don't really need to access the netbooks except to load them and link them as a remote... the rest is then done just on the faders themselves...

It would be very easy to build this setup into a nice custom case that would end up looking like the front of a physical console, with the netbooks built-in as well.

And, you can use one of the netbooks hooked to a nice 1920 monitor as the main remote unit with a mouse and the keyboard to handle all the rest of the remote jumping and EQing and Comp setup and so forth... all the while you will have your 48 physical faders, always accessable just like on some expensive console or control surface.

It's all there already... think slightly outside the box for a moment and you can open up whole new worlds of control. :)

Bob L

JLepore
09-05-2010, 09:43 PM
That is exactly the path I was going down - use a seperate machine to control the surface.

It has the benefit of also adding 12 more F keys to the mix just to use for surface control, leaving the main keyboard open for actual view changes. It cleanly seperates the host machine to just look at the "one at a time" operations - eq a channel, manipulate plug-ins, etc. while leaving the faders operational to actually mix the show.

It's what I did to mix a show this weekend on a local venue's system (my laptop controlling the control surface) and it was immensly easier to work the show (FOH 26 ins + 8 monitor mixes).

kdiamond
09-13-2010, 05:22 AM
We have discussed this while ago. The problem is MON Mixer switching. It will switch only faders on active template. Not all faders.

So if you have 16 hardware faders on SAC and another 16 on SAC Remote.

-When switched MON Mixer on SAC, only first 16 hardware faders will switch to MON Mixer.
-When switched MON Mixer on SAC Remote, only second 16 hardware faders will switch to MON Mixer.

Maybe an user selectable option for SAC Remotes to follow the HOST Mixers would work OK, but still a workaround.

Br,
Dali

Bob L
09-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I thought the idea was that the users who feel the need to have 48 or more faders are looking for an always available instant grab of any FOH chan on a fader... therefore they would never want those faders to move... otherwise, use 8 or 16 faders that chase everywhere you go.

So... use the small remotes to lockdown the faders... then use one separate remote as your main control for jumping all around to adjust anything else needed... this way, the faders never move.

Bob L

Brent Evans
09-13-2010, 06:57 AM
So... use the small remotes to lockdown the faders... then use one separate remote as your main control for jumping all around to adjust anything else needed... this way, the faders never move.

Wouldn't it (theoretically) be possible to handle all this with virtual machines on the same PC? One laptop boots up one or two virtual machines that each have SAC-Remote running up to 32 faders on a seperate MIDI adapters?

Bob L
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Not sure... but I'm sure someone will try and let us know... personally... I have no need anyway... I love my mouse and keyboard. :)

Bob L

sjpaul
09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
I've got so used to using the mouse and keyboard, that when I hooked up my BCF unit at the weekend, it was just getting in the way, so I ripped it back out again....:D

mojogil
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
My right hand is on the mouse, left hand, on the one faderpack. Simple and quick. Took me a little bit to get used to but now I can't imagine it any other way. Maybe a touch screen someday.