PDA

View Full Version : Step by Step setup for Wired Remote?

Jeff Scott
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
I normally use a wireless connection to SACRemote. I have no problems with it. Connectivity is great. Last night..I attempted to setup a "wired" connection to my Remote. Utter failure.....most likely due to the fact that though I have read everything I can read on this Forum about setting up Networks...I still don't get it:eek:

Would some be so kind as to give a Step by Step explanation as to what to do to get this working? Do I need to change something in my Dlink 615 Router? Do I change something in my Laptop Network configuration? Do I need to assign different addresses to the Host? Remote Laptop?

I've just spent 2 hours at work reading thru the past 3 months of posts and I can't put it together (don't worry...I own the company...I can take a few hours out once in a while...:p)

As I said...my wireless remoting works fine. So.....if you would be so kind as to start at the beginning....I plug my Cat5 into my Laptop and the Router..... and then...????:o:o:o

sjpaul
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Switch off the wireless networking on your laptop? Once you've plugged in the cat5 from the router to laptop, it should be there as long as LAN is enabled in control panel.

Jeff Scott
09-24-2010, 02:52 PM
On my Dell laptop...there is a little switch on the side of the case that activates the wireless connection. This was switched off. I often switch between a wired-to-Router Home Internet connection and Wireless Router Connection by using this switch. Laptop connects either way just fine. But no connection to the DLink SAC Router when going wired.....

Jeff Scott
09-24-2010, 03:01 PM
About Year and Half ago (Pre-SAC)....I had the opportunity to work on a Yammie LS9 for about 4 months. When using a wired connection to their Studio manager, I first had to go into my Network Settings, disconnect the Find Automatic Address button and enter the IP address set up for and assigned to the LS9, otherwise..no connection. I tried to do this last night, entering the IP address of the SAC host in but to no avail. I may not have filled out the "form" correctly...or completely...that's why I was wondering if anyone had a step by step "tutorial" to guide the poor Networking ignorant among us thru...:confused:

cgrafx
09-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I normally use a wireless connection to SACRemote. I have no problems with it. Connectivity is great. Last night..I attempted to setup a "wired" connection to my Remote. Utter failure.....most likely due to the fact that though I have read everything I can read on this Forum about setting up Networks...I still don't get it:eek:

Would some be so kind as to give a Step by Step explanation as to what to do to get this working? Do I need to change something in my Dlink 615 Router? Do I change something in my Laptop Network configuration? Do I need to assign different addresses to the Host? Remote Laptop?

I've just spent 2 hours at work reading thru the past 3 months of posts and I can't put it together (don't worry...I own the company...I can take a few hours out once in a while...:p)

As I said...my wireless remoting works fine. So.....if you would be so kind as to start at the beginning....I plug my Cat5 into my Laptop and the Router..... and then...????:o:o:o

You need to manually set the IP addresses of both the host and the Remote.

They need to be different addresses (i.e., 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11)

When you use the Wireless portion of the router, there is a default DHCP server that supplies the IP addresses to the laptop. The DHCP server does not supply addresses to the wired ports, only the wireless connections.

JLepore
09-25-2010, 05:52 AM
If DHCP is active on the router, it would be active on any connection - wired or wireless.

ekimtoor1
09-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Do you have another known-good wired network you can plug in to? Like your home network? The first thing i would try to determine is whether the problem is in your laptop or in your SAC network.

If you can plug the laptop into another wired connection and it works without issue, then you'll know that the problem is in the SAC network somewhere and most likely in the router configration.

cgrafx
09-25-2010, 10:51 AM
If DHCP is active on the router, it would be active on any connection - wired or wireless.

Unless specifically configured to do so, wireless routers do NOT supply DHCP addresses to the LAN-Side ethernet ports.

The DHCP server is used to supply addresses to the wireless side of the connection, not the ethernet ports. If it supplied addresses to the LAN-SIDE ports, it would interfere with other LAN-side equipment already supplying addresses.

83Cordoba
09-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Unless specifically configured to do so, wireless routers do NOT supply DHCP addresses to the LAN-Side ethernet ports.

The DHCP server is used to supply addresses to the wireless side of the connection, not the ethernet ports. If it supplied addresses to the LAN-SIDE ports, it would interfere with other LAN-side equipment already supplying addresses.

That seems strange to me since every wireless router I've used so far from 3 different manufacturers set the addresses automatically on both wired and wireless ports without having to make any router adjustments.

I just plug in the hard wired computers then connect my wireless remote laptops and everything seems great. I've never had to set the DHCP settings differently for wired and wireless.

Cary B. Cornett
09-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Now how it works on my network. DHCP is working on both wired and wireless. Has from day one, without any special configuration... meaning, that's the default behavior. This is on a Linsys unit that does both G and N wireless as well as the wired network.

cgrafx
09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Now how it works on my network. DHCP is working on both wired and wireless. Has from day one, without any special configuration... meaning, that's the default behavior. This is on a Linsys unit that does both G and N wireless as well as the wired network.

Then there has to be a check to see of there is a DHCP server running already because I've had many wireless routers connected to our internal network and the router does not supply DHCP addresses the LAN side of our systems. Those are supplied by one of our servers.

gdougherty
09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Then there has to be a check to see of there is a DHCP server running already because I've had many wireless routers connected to our internal network and the router does not supply DHCP addresses the LAN side of our systems. Those are supplied by one of our servers.

Unless the "routers" are actually wireless access points with no router functionality built in. May be some intelligence as well to allow them to automatically function in an existing network environment.