PDA

View Full Version : EQ-curve graphs?

ttako
01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi Bob,
Just want to know, if it is maybe planed to add an*"EQ-curve"graph into the wide chanel view??
As I work a lot with digital consoles and worked on other DAW softwares, I really would like to see the EQ's response....
Thanks,

Tamas

Bob L
01-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Try hearing the Eq's response... too many people have gotten into the bad habit of setting eq visually instead of by ear... at least that's my opinion.

If you want graphs, Jon Marshall Smith's native Eq plug and many other VST eq plugs give you all kinds of sweet curved line displays...

I really don't find the displays useful at all, and in fact actually can get in the way of setting the eq correctly for different circumstances... the graph displays also bog down the system, as they are slow to calculate, and with eq on 72 channels, changing F-Key views would suffer and cut deeply into the useful soundcard latency without causing glitches... so its not a high priority item for me at the moment.

Bob L

bertie
01-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Just want to know, if it is maybe planed to add an*"EQ-curve"graph into the wide chanel view??
As I work a lot with digital consoles and worked on other DAW softwares, I really would like to see the EQ's response....
Thanks,

Tamas

Hi, :)

"Beatles or Beach Boys" never had an opportunity to work with SAWStudio.....can you imagine how the "White Album" or "Pet Sounds" would sound if it was recorded and produced using SAWStudio? :confused: :)

Bertie,

P.S. The human ear is the best way to go. :)

Naturally Digital
01-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks,

Tamas... and don't worry... you aren't the first person to ask about this. ;) Thing is, the JMS EQ does give you this capability... you can patch it on every channel if you want. When I realized the impact this would have on the F-key view/screen redraws, I quickly stopped wishing for it. If I need graphs for whatever reason, I patch in others... JMS, Kjaerhus, TC's EQsat or Sonalksis, Nyquist EQ etc.

Listen well,
Dave.

TotalSonic
01-24-2005, 10:56 PM
I'm a huge fan of the JMS Hi-res EQ also. It sounds fantastic, it's completely automateable, gives you shelving filters which to me are an absolue necessity, and it has a really easy to use gui (which yes, includes a curve display) - for $75 to me it's a must have - http://www.jms-audioware.com/eq_saw.htm

Bob Olhsson (who was one of the cutting engineers for Motown and still does great work mastering today) has a great story about working for Tom Dowd in Atlantic back in the day - Tom had painted over every single vu and meter in the studio so that the engineers would be forced to listen instead of leaning on visual aids.

He might have a point here - I often see posts on audio forums where the poster is getting upset that their Spectrum RTA or FFT display for their mix doesn't "look right" and they want to know how to "fix it" - when the fact is there isn't a "problem" unless you don't like the sound! :)

Best regards,
Steve Berson