PDA

View Full Version : MIDI Workshop Problem

kevin
06-09-2004, 05:05 PM
HI Bob -

I'm trying out the demos for Sawstudio Basic and MIDI Workshop. When I record in MWS, it seems to lose a few of the note offs, and put some notes at the beginning I didn't play. I attach a screenshot for your viewing pleasure.

I'm using a MOTU MIDI Express USB. If I play single notes in slow tempo it works OK. I tried updating the drivers but it still does it. It doesn't do it with Cakewalk, though CW has it's own problems. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm playing external or internal MIDI ports.

Bob L
06-09-2004, 06:47 PM
That's nasty when the note-offs get lost. :)

I have not seen this behavior on my systems here... but there are red flags raised for me with the usb midi... I wonder if something is happening connected with that... and even though CakeWalk is doing ok with note-offs... you do mention other problems... I wonder if it is all connected to the usb...

Are you getting USB 2.0 or are you using a usb 1.1 port... Midi seemed to always have problems in the earlier usb 1.1.

If you are using Win 2K you will have to force usb 2.0 with special drivers or the latest service packs, I think... Win XP should have detected the usb 2.0 and installed the drivers by default... unless of course your usb hardware is only 1.1 capable.

I would imagine that I would have received a flood of reports if the MWS was displaying this behavior for everyone... but that has not been the case, at least up to now.

Also, make sure you are using the current demo... if you downloaded a very early version a while ago... try downloading again and see if that corrects the problem.

Bob L

kevin
06-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Yep it's USB 1.1. I'll stick a 2.0 card in there and see what happens.

I guess I'm lazy.

Bob L
06-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Let us know the results... hopefully I don't have code that needs re-thinking. :)

Bob L

kevin
06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey whaddiya know. It works now. I'm so lazy!

I really want this to work because it's a really great idea, one step closer to a fully integrated studio. I haven't tried the video app yet. (It needs dissolves :p )

Is SS compatible with any asset management software, or do you ever dream of stitching something like that on someday?

Thanks!

Bob L
06-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Not sure what you mean by asset management software...

If you are referring to handling sound effects and music libraries for serious sound design projects, then check out the Library views... it is a great way to handle access to thousands of sound effects and music beds.

Bob L