PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Q notch filter plug - suggestions?

AlanH
01-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi All,

Most of the stuff I record is live classical recitals / concerts or sessions in local concert venues - normally driven by availability of good pianos! These locations frequently suffer from (acoustic) mains hum from power supplies, airconditioning etc., which I am then stuck with on the masters :( .

Hi-pass filtering is a non-starter as there is often musical information below 100Hz.

Can anyone recommend a very-hi-Q (possibly tracking) notch / comb filter plugin? Preferably reasonably priced!

Regards,

Alan
P.S. this is the first time I've used a smiley - they could get addictive :) (see what I mean ....)

Bob L
01-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Go to www.kvr-vst.com (http://www.kvr-vst.com) and look in their listboxes in the upper right section of the page.

Look at Elemental Audio's Firium and EQium plugs. They may work for you.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Can anyone recommend a very-hi-Q (possibly tracking) notch / comb filter plugin? Preferably reasonably priced!Hi Alan,
You can have a look at the VB-Audio EQ-notch G3/4 www.vb-audio.com

Also, the Virtos Filter toolbox www.virtos-audio.com

Not reasonably priced IMO but The Waves Restoration pack also includes notch filters.

Tree Leopard
01-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Bob's tip - Elemental Audio - are very good value and you won't find yourself losing too much ambience or resonance as you clean up on humming lights & machine noise.

Here is a rather nice bit of freeware which I ended up using one some classical guitar recordings. This is "non-distorting, glitch-free" EQ. Clever idea and it works.

NyquistEq [ 5 band ]
http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/

At the other end of the scale you have Algorithmix (de)
LinearPhase PEQ Red / Orange
http://www.algorithmix.com/en/pro_products.htm

Even if this is just for your reference (this is serious money) its worth being aware of how these guys approach the difficult business of EQ for hi-rez classcial music mastering. As you try out other products more within your budget, you start to see "wotz wot". [ INSERT SMILEY HERE ]

I'll second Vincent Burel (VB) too - truly elegant.

AudioAstronomer
01-25-2005, 02:12 PM
I must say, nyquist EQ is one heck of a good EQ. That one gets my recommendation!

Yura
01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I used SAW's console's EQ for eliminating big generators drone recorded into voices tracks that occured about 125 hz. I simply used Q=0.1 for freq=125 and gain=-15. If I need more decreasing of same frequency I just use other band of EQ adjusted to the same frqncy and same Q. and so on

AlanH
01-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Many thanks, everyone - high-speed service as usual!

Will have a look at the options and report results.

Regards,

Alan

Rabbit
01-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Obviously not a plug in but Adobe Audition has an excellent noise removal tool which I've used many times to clean up problem tracks. All you need is a noise sample of about 3 seconds or so to create a noise profile for use in the removal process which I'm usually able to get off the track before or after the program material starts. If I can't get the full three seconds I grab what I can and create a long enough sample by copy/pasting what I can get to an empty .wav file multiple times to make up the difference and use that to create the profile.

Yura
01-26-2005, 04:15 AM
I've used SonicFoundry NR plug and tested it for many times and I'm not to decide to jump out of SS for hi-quality de-noising. I still not found any better NR, nor Coll edit's one.

Carlos Mills
01-26-2005, 04:34 AM
Hi Yura,

I've used SonicFoundry NR plug and tested it for many times and I'm not to decide to jump out of SS for hi-quality de-noising. I still not found any better NR, nor Coll edit's one.

I've used Sony-SonicFoundry NR with great success many times... Did you use the "get sample" option (or something similar) to show the plug in exactly what you wanted to remove? It worked really well for me...

Best regards,

Carlos

Yura
01-26-2005, 05:15 AM
Hi Yura,

I've used Sony-SonicFoundry NR with great success many times... Did you use the "get sample" option (or something similar) to show the plug in exactly what you wanted to remove? It worked really well for me...

Best regards,

Carlos

Of course. It is a "general" way all those kind of denoisers they do work.
It would be great to have such a plug native for SAW to minimize the latency.

Carlos Mills
01-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Hi Yura!

Of course. It is a "general" way all those kind of denoisers they do work.
It would be great to have such a plug native for SAW to minimize the latency.

I see... That's why I always process this type of things off line, I don't use them real time... Autotune is another one. I take the time to tune (or not) and BuildMix each phrase of the singer, for instance, and most of the times I use manual mode, not automatic mode... I think some plug ins are too freaking nervous to be let alone... :eek: :D

Take care,