PDA

View Full Version : MWS Feature Suggestion

Tim Miskimon
11-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Bob,
How hard would it be to add a "tap tempo" feature into MWS?
That would really speed up the time it takes to find the tempo of a song while song writing.
I often sit down with the musicians with an acoustic guitar and the drummer taps out the tempo - it would be cool to be able to tap that tempo right into MWS instead of trying to find the tempo by setting the BPM on a meter or grid...
Us old school guys would really find it useful...:D

Richard Rupert
11-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Or, until Bob gets that done you could use this:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/taptempo/Documentation.htm

Tim Miskimon
11-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Or, until Bob gets that done you could use this:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/taptempo/Documentation.htm

Thanks Richard.
Still I hate leaving Saw just to do a tap tempo.
It would be a lot quicker & easier if it could be done right in MWS.

Bob L
11-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Tim... while I look into the idea... try this.

In SAW, just record some of the tapped tempo on a mic or any instrument signal... then mark a measure or two and use the Set Tempo To Marked Measure option in the TimelIne/Tempo Settings menu in SAW.

That will calculate and set the default tempo to the marked mesaure distance.

Bob L

Bob L
11-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Or...

Tap the tempo on a track in MWS with any instrument or drum patch... then use the Measure map tool in MWS to line up the measure boundaries and the tempo will automatically be set to match.

Bob L

DavidandMary
11-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Or...

Tap the tempo on a track in MWS with any instrument or drum patch... then use the Measure map tool in MWS to line up the measure boundaries and the tempo will automatically be set to match.

Bob L

That is my preferred method. The MWS Measure map tool is my favorite thing about the MWS...

Tom Roberts
11-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Or just use your digital watch or a stopwatch for a quick estimate. Time 10 beats. (count eleven because the first one don't count) Divide that into 600. At least as accurate as "tapping". You don't have to leave your program.

Thomas

Microstudio
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Region Based editing and lanes also and MidiFile View.

Make it happen!

Richard Rupert
11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks Richard.
Still I hate leaving Saw just to do a tap tempo.
It would be a lot quicker & easier if it could be done right in MWS.
I just have a shortcut to the executable in in my tray. I double click on it, tap the space bar for a few measures and I've got the tempo. I have MWS open in all .edl's because it's easier (quicker) to set the tempo there than to go through the SAW menu route. Works quite well and is very fast.

Tim Miskimon
11-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I just have a shortcut to the executable in in my tray. I double click on it, tap the space bar for a few measures and I've got the tempo. I have MWS open in all .edl's because it's easier (quicker) to set the tempo there than to go through the SAW menu route. Works quite well and is very fast.

That does sound easier than the other suggestions.
When it comes to creating music the easier the better - I don't want to use that side of my brain while writing.
That's the reason I made the suggestion to Bob.

Tap in the tempo, MWS sets the tempo and than use click/conductor to lay down the click track - couldn't be easier...:)
I'm confident that if it can be done - Bob will add it at some point to MWS...:D
In the meantime - thanks for the plug in.

Richard Rupert
11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Tim,

As you described is fine. However, I use Jon Marshall's metronome plugin. I just set the tempo in MWS. I have the JM plugin in my default template, and all I need to do is add a small audio file to that track.

But your way is very good as well. :)