PDA

View Full Version : OT: how to sell a mic pre

Dave Labrecque
11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm selling my HV-3D-8. I'm thinking:

SAWStudio Classifieds
Gearslutz Classifieds
Ebay

Any other must-use sites? Should I go to a vintage gear company, or would they just give me less $?

Thanks.

905shmick
11-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Be sure to post it on craigslist as well. You can also try the Buy'n'Sell section on DUC (digidesign user conference)

I didn't like using ebay due to the fees, but sometimes thats the only place it will sell.

Make sure you have a few decent pictures to go with your listings. I've found that pics really help when selling things, even if it's just stock photos of the items from the manufacturer's website.

I liquidated about $20K worth of gear this way in early 2009.

Sean McCoy
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Gearslutz is quite a mover. I'd stick with that for a couple of weeks before going to Ebay.

bcorkery
11-10-2010, 10:37 PM
You might try Harmony Central (http://www.harmonycentral.com/community/classifieds/for-sale-wanted)too.

Microstudio
11-11-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm selling my HV-3D-8. I'm thinking:

SAWStudio Classifieds
Gearslutz Classifieds
Ebay

Any other must-use sites? Should I go to a vintage gear company, or would they just give me less $?

Thanks.

Wow... those things are over 4,000 new :eek:

Nothing beats eBay.

905shmick
11-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Wow... those things are over 4,000 new :eek:

Nothing beats eBay.

Plenty of things beat eBay. The selling/final value fees are high and then if you want to accept payment via paypal, which is owned by eBay!, they ding you again with more fees to accept the payment.

Microstudio
11-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Plenty of things beat eBay. The selling/final value fees are high and then if you want to accept payment via paypal, which is owned by eBay!, they ding you again with more fees to accept the payment.

Ok then let me rephrase.... You will not reach a bigger market then eBay most people buying things on the internet check eBay for the item they are looking for and just by doing a search your add on eBay will come up in most search engines.

What are these plenty of places that beat eBay/Paypal prices that will get your item sold?

905shmick
11-11-2010, 07:49 AM
What are these plenty of places that beat eBay/Paypal prices that will get your item sold?

The sites that are mentioned in the beginning of the thread. Price your item accordingly and it should sell. I went through process not too long ago. I also use eBay as my very last resort when buying used items as I've found the various audio related websites have much better prices.

Microstudio
11-11-2010, 08:07 AM
The sites that are mentioned in the beginning of the thread. Price your item accordingly and it should sell. I went through process not too long ago. I also use eBay as my very last resort when buying used items as I've found the various audio related websites have much better prices.

Don't the buyers a lot of the time prefer paying via PayPal as it gives them some recourse should something go wrong?

905shmick
11-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Don't the buyers a lot of the time prefer paying via PayPal as it gives them some recourse should something go wrong?

Yes, paypal is the preferred payment option by many, myself included. What irks me about ebay is that as a seller they are charging me twice, once for the auction and once to accept paypal payments. As a buyer I don't like ebay for the fact that many of the sellers pad their sales with highly inflated shipping fees. Also, very little seems to be available for auction now, it's all Buy it Now or auctions with a reserve price that is far to high to begin with.

Anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of people who are very happy with the ebay model, I'm not of them.

Ian Alexander
11-11-2010, 09:24 AM
I think that if you don't allow credit card payments via PayPal, you get the entire price. This requires buyers to draw the money directly from a bank account, which may be a deal breaker for some. I believe that once you accept credit card payments, ALL incoming PayPal transactions, even those drawn on a bank account, are subject to a fee. This was true when I looked into it a few years ago. It may have changed since then. I have not sold anything on eBay, but have been paid for VOs a few times via PayPal.

TotalSonic
11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
The TapeOp message board has a classified section that gets decent traffic as well:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your ideas. :)

MMP
11-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Gearslutz is quite a mover. I'd stick with that for a couple of weeks before going to Ebay.

What he said.

Regards,

MM