PDA

View Full Version : Any 2.7 issues?

JLepore
11-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Has anyone noticed any issues in upgrading to 2.7? Just flying back in and need to use my rig tonight (which is currently on 2.6). I never play with new versions live, but I would really like to have some of the stability enhancements tonight and am almost willing to break the rules and try it.

Has anyone had ANY new, different, or unexplained issues (I will not be using the latching functionality, so I'm not concerned about those questions that were raised earlier).

I'm going to have to use a remote on this one, and would feel a lot better with the more behaved network functionality.

averombri
11-13-2010, 06:11 AM
I have updated last week and everything works OK...well,not really.WIFI works much better, I´m doing FOH and monitoring with SAC link multitrack recording in Sawstudio Lite and ever better than 2.6...it is my oppinion...

gdougherty
11-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Same here. Stability over wireless is improved and the latch groups are great as long as you're not using them on a control surface.

JeremyJo
11-13-2010, 08:23 AM
I updated to 2.7 on Tuesday last. I haven't had any issues with our monitor system. We haven't yet fully moved SAC to FOH operation, but we're proceeding that direction.

I did notice a weird glitch with XY Panning enabled while mixing FOH. I have an electronic drum set. One output has kick drum on it and I have that SAC channel set to XY panning with the intent of sending kick to the center channel only. I had a strange, digital sound coming out of the system when the kick drum was hit - when I moved the XY Panning joystick the sound cleared up. This happened twice.

I also have a vocal channel that I want to come only from the center channel. I have XY panning enabled on that channel, but when I moved the XY joystick to the rear-center I get no signal. When I move the joystick to the center location (default) I get signal from the stereo loudspeakers.

I don't know if this is a 2.7 glitch, but it is the first time I've noticed these glitches and I haven't had time to explore more fully.

Cary B. Cornett
11-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Same here. Stability over wireless is improved and the latch groups are great as long as you're not using them on a control surface.
I use a control surface. What happens when a latch group meets a control surface??

905shmick
11-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I use a control surface. What happens when a latch group meets a control surface??

When a reverse latch group (new in 2.7) is used with a control surface, the faders being controlled with the control surface move in unison, the same way a normal latch group would work.

Cary B. Cornett
11-13-2010, 10:49 AM
When a reverse latch group (new in 2.7) is used with a control surface, the faders being controlled with the control surface move in unison, the same way a normal latch group would work. IOW, we have a bug that needs fixin'. :rolleyes:

gdougherty
11-13-2010, 10:50 AM
IOW, we have a bug that needs fixin'. :rolleyes:

Bob's on it. Fix coming soon.

905shmick
11-13-2010, 11:10 AM
IOW, we have a bug that needs fixin'. :rolleyes:

Yep, I was the one who found the bug last weekend.

Alvarez Audio
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Okay, what IOW?

Alvarez Audio
11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
What is the benefit of latching and reverse latching groups? I'm usually good with just setting up regular subgroups and mixing there.

Bob L
11-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Setting up temp groups means you can still grab all drum chans, for instance, by just quickly selecting the group and using any of the drum faders to acts a the master, without having to use up an out sub fader.

Latches mean you can always group chans like stereo LR keyboard pairs etc... and still quickly unlatch them on the fly using the Alt-Key.

RVS Latches are the newest feature... latch the drum chans but they will still normally act individually... then when you need to adjust all the drums at once, just use the Alt-Key and grab any drum fader and that acts as the master... again... no need to use up an out group fader.

Bob L

Alvarez Audio
11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Okay Thanks Bob. I'm just used to mixing big consoles with VCA's in the middle, so just a creature of habit there. Will read into that sounds like a cool feature on the rvs latch.

Wurst Werner
11-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Just came back form a gig with 2.7. Did it with wireless remote...flawless, like always:cool:
I wish, all of my gear would be so rock solid like SAC.

JLepore
11-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Turns out my flight was 3 hours late (back into my winter wonderland here) so I didn't have time to download it for the show last night. Had the same typical problems with 2.6 (hanging windows that don't go away - in this case it was the TCP Connection established window).

Will download and install when I get the rig unloaded.

brianklock
11-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Did our first live gig with our SAC rig yesterday... Nearly flawless. It was an all day drama event with wireless mics, floor mics, hanging area mics, and some audio and video playback.

Everything was rock solid, running about 30% load with a DIGI 9652 card.

The only issue we ran into has already been mentioned: the midi control and reverse latch group issue. We decided to play with the Reverse Latch functions during our lunch break. This is an extremely powerful and useful feature for usage. It did freak us out during the first afternoon performance when we grabbed a fader in the group and everything started moving. We just cleared the groups and went back to individual channel operation. I checked the forum and saw that it is already a known issue and is being worked out.

The only thing I haven't found yet is a way to clear a single group. I left my rig at the venue so I didn't get chance to play today... I am hoping that we can just assign no channels to a group and reassign to get rid of the group. We just said clear all groups when we started having the MIDI issue latch issue.

Alvarez Audio
11-14-2010, 11:23 AM
I meant to ask what is IOW?

JLepore
11-14-2010, 01:30 PM
In Other Words ....

Alvarez Audio
11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh, you can tell I don't read to many forums. :cool:

gdougherty
11-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Okay Thanks Bob. I'm just used to mixing big consoles with VCA's in the middle, so just a creature of habit there. Will read into that sounds like a cool feature on the rvs latch.

It becomes hugely cool when you realize that rvs latch groups not only work on FOH, but they also work across all the monitor mixers, unlike group latch channels. In the past week I've pretty much migrated away from using group latch channels and over to reverse latches. It's far more useful. Today for instance I rvs latched all the drum kit channels, then rvs latched all the drums in with the bass channel for control over the entire rythm section. No need for two latch channels, just press the alt key and grab the right channel.

905shmick
11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
It becomes hugely cool when you realize that rvs latch groups not only work on FOH, but they also work across all the monitor mixers, unlike group latch channels. In the past week I've pretty much migrated away from using group latch channels and over to reverse latches. It's far more useful. Today for instance I rvs latched all the drum kit channels, then rvs latched all the drums in with the bass channel for control over the entire rythm section. No need for two latch channels, just press the alt key and grab the right channel.

Yeah, that's a nice feature of the RVS latch. When duplicating monitor mixers you cannot duplicate the group latch setup, which is a bit of an annoyance.

dbarrow
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, that's a nice feature of the RVS latch. When duplicating monitor mixers you cannot duplicate the group latch setup, which is a bit of an annoyance.There's really nothing like this on hardware consoles, is there? I can see this featured eventually being copied by hardware console manufacturers. It's a very slick feature!