PDA

View Full Version : Mix template vs Channel store/recall and track sequence

Jazzstudio
11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi all,

I know how mix template store/recall works...VERY handy in MANY, MANY situations. One issue: if I have different songs in different keys (for example), then the vocalists' autotuners are somewhat of a waste, because when I recall mix template, it initializes the "new" autotuner that its plugging in, and it's setup in its default key and settings. There are some other plugins and even general settings that are different too, and sometimes one wants to only recall "some" tracks, in which case the channel store/recall along with the selkection of tracks is awesome.

Ok, so here's where I'm at with this: how does one "save" or "recall" the sequence of the multitrack? I know that template save/open does this, but, as mentioned, there are situations where you might not want to do this. Then, the channel store/recall does not resequence the multitrack.

Let me color the picture: I have a general template setup and stored in SS for recordings. It includes the obvious stuff: drums, bass, guits, acoutsics, several keys, vox and bgvs. On drums we have Kick, Snare, Toms x 3, Overheads L/R and HH.

On the album we're working, we decided that from time-to-time we'd like to use alternate snare drums within one song, say one on verse, other on chorus. So the drummer setup his second snare to his left, and we mic'd it. Also, we decided that the snare drum which is in the traditional position (between his legs...hmmmm...fun, fun, fun) we'll mic from the top and the bottom - two mics, out of phase with each other.

Ok, so now I've setup 16 songs' templates, and recorded the midi pilot keys, along with clicks for rits etc and the pilot vocals. We made the decision about the additional tracks today, while setting up the drums. Ok, no serious issue, I name a track "extra snare" and a track "bottom snare" and set them up. My issue now enters: they're at the bottom of a list of about 40 tracks. I'd obviously like to have them located, visually, next to the rest of the drums tracks. Sure. relatively easy to move the tracks. But, here's the core of the question: I have to do this on 16 songs. Sure, not hours of work, but still...it's 15 opens, move tracks and saves that I woulda liked to avoid. So...any way to do this quicker?

He he...in retrospect...I coulda done this probably in the time that it took to write this post...LOL...but still, that fact notwithstanding...if there is a quicker way...hey, it saves time, and that's what I get paid for.

Thanks all
Cheers

Dave Labrecque
11-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

I know how mix template store/recall works...VERY handy in MANY, MANY situations. One issue: if I have different songs in different keys (for example), then the vocalists' autotuners are somewhat of a waste, because when I recall mix template, it initializes the "new" autotuner that its plugging in, and it's setup in its default key and settings. There are some other plugins and even general settings that are different too, and sometimes one wants to only recall "some" tracks, in which case the channel store/recall along with the selkection of tracks is awesome.

Ok, so here's where I'm at with this: how does one "save" or "recall" the sequence of the multitrack? I know that template save/open does this, but, as mentioned, there are situations where you might not want to do this. Then, the channel store/recall does not resequence the multitrack.

Let me color the picture: I have a general template setup and stored in SS for recordings. It includes the obvious stuff: drums, bass, guits, acoutsics, several keys, vox and bgvs. On drums we have Kick, Snare, Toms x 3, Overheads L/R and HH.

On the album we're working, we decided that from time-to-time we'd like to use alternate snare drums within one song, say one on verse, other on chorus. So the drummer setup his second snare to his left, and we mic'd it. Also, we decided that the snare drum which is in the traditional position (between his legs...hmmmm...fun, fun, fun) we'll mic from the top and the bottom - two mics, out of phase with each other.

Ok, so now I've setup 16 songs' templates, and recorded the midi pilot keys, along with clicks for rits etc and the pilot vocals. We made the decision about the additional tracks today, while setting up the drums. Ok, no serious issue, I name a track "extra snare" and a track "bottom snare" and set them up. My issue now enters: they're at the bottom of a list of about 40 tracks. I'd obviously like to have them located, visually, next to the rest of the drums tracks. Sure. relatively easy to move the tracks. But, here's the core of the question: I have to do this on 16 songs. Sure, not hours of work, but still...it's 15 opens, move tracks and saves that I woulda liked to avoid. So...any way to do this quicker?

He he...in retrospect...I coulda done this probably in the time that it took to write this post...LOL...but still, that fact notwithstanding...if there is a quicker way...hey, it saves time, and that's what I get paid for.

Thanks all
Cheers

You're asking for a track-order-only template of some kind. No such thing exists so far as I know. But even that would be about the same amount of work as making the change to each EDL manually (even more, I think!). The only thing faster, I think, would be some kind of batch processing of your EDLs to re-order the tracks. No way to do that.

Bob L
11-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Moving the two tracks to a new position is only a few clicks if you use the selected tracks method... first select the two tracks... then Shift-Left-Click the track number of the destination track where you want them moved.

You do not have to slide each one down the distance of 40 tracks.

Bob L