PDA

View Full Version : new interface

Bill Park
11-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi all,

Looking for a new interface. Prefer PCIe. I was just going to go to my standby company, RME. But it occurs to me that there might be other options I have not yet explored.

So, I don't need converters, I have Myteks. I'm looking for 16 channels of either lightpipe/toslink or AES/EBU and one or more MIDI ports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Ian Alexander
11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Bill,

Here's a possibility.

http://lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=16

It's an AES card from Lynx. I have not used this product, but I've been very happy with Lynx products over the years. I very much wanted the Lynx convertors, so I've used the LynxONE and now the L22. Both have had very good drivers and on the one occasion I needed it, excellent support. I use the lightpipe daughter card for the L22 and it works seamlessly with the ADA8000 I use for phone patch, talkback, etc.

DominicPerry
11-17-2010, 08:14 AM
The old Sydek, now SSL, (range now called XLogic I/O) were a preferred option for a long time, although I'm not sure who still uses them. I think Dave V (Naturally Digital) still does, and maybe a PM to Perry would be in order, he used to use them, probably still does. They are into MADI stuff a lot now, but plenty of digital input options. Probably not the cheapest way for 16 channels.
RME still making the running on drivers IMHO.
Depending on your Mytek digital in/out option and preferred sample rates,
HDSPe AES for 16in/16out on AES,
HDSPe RayDAT for 32in/32out ADAT (or 16in/16out with S/Mux for 88.2/96KHz),
HDSPe MADI for 64in/64out MADI.
All have Midi.

Dominic

dragoodan
11-23-2010, 10:05 AM
My thoughts on this are:
Why change that which is working?

As far as I know, there are many options out there available, but as long as you find one that suits you and is robust, stick with it till the end. At least that's what SS represents anyway, quality over fancier interfaces, newer updates, and more memory consuming gizmos found elsewhere...

Reliability and performance over fashion trends. :o