PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a rack case today...

Donnie Frank
11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
After looking at so many computer rack cases I thought I was going to explode, I finally decided on this rack on got on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=170565043721&si=4in8YFuZsheXqXwHmj4BsaaTiJc%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Why this one:

1) Standard power supply
2) NOT 24 freakin' inches deep (that's just retarded)
3) Will fit a 10" x 12" ATX board.
4) Will fit multiple hard drives (probably going to run a RAID-1 disk array)
5) Will fit 3, standard PCI/PCIe cards without having to flop them horizontally
6) Cheap - 85 bucks including shipping

I'm thinking I'm just going to rob my old Dell of it's MB and peripherals and stick 'em in this case. I can't wait to get all this integrated into a single rack.

905shmick
11-20-2010, 12:24 AM
I just finished putting this together tonight.

It's using a 3U StarUSA D313V2MATX-T5P and it's only 15" deep.

Just overclocked the i3 530 to 4Ghz. Gonna let it run Prime95 overnight to see if it shows any problems. None so far.

I'm liking the PCI HDSP card linked to an RME Digiface.

http://i.imgur.com/dzzwBl.jpg

Donnie Frank
11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I just finished putting this together tonight.

Looks good!

It's using a 3U StarUSA D313V2MATX-T5P and it's only 15" deep.

Looks like almost exactly what I purchased.

Just overclocked the i3 530 to 4Ghz. Gonna let it run Prime95 overnight to see if it shows any problems. None so far.

I don't think I'll be doing any overclocking...though I may have to step up to a more powerful CPU. Once I case this baby, it's going to be a 24 channel rig. CPU usage will probably become an issue then.

I'm liking the PCI HDSP card linked to an RME Digiface.

Lemme know now that works out!

905shmick
11-20-2010, 09:16 AM
The digiface is working well. This will be a semi portable system with the PC and UPS in one case + the digiface and ADA8000 units in another case. All that is needed to link the cases is 1 power cable and 1 firewire cable. The digiface isn't firware based, RME just uses firewire connectors/cables as the transport medium. It's also directly powered from the PCI HDSP card.

I picked up the digiface and PCI card used for $350 CAD (~345 USD)

The digiface also has a headphone jack on it. I've setup the RME mixer tool to only route the S/PDIF channel to the headphone jack, so now I can select the S/PDIF channel for the solo channel and I still get 24 channels of ADAT in/out.

Donnie Frank
11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
The digiface is working well. This will be a semi portable system with the PC and UPS in one case + the digiface and ADA8000 units in another case. All that is needed to link the cases is 1 power cable and 1 firewire cable.

Firewire? No light-pipes? I'm missing something here. I'm going out of my way to put my ADA8K's and computer in the same rack to avoid wiring up the light-pipes every time. Please share!

The digiface isn't firware based, RME just uses firewire connectors/cables as the transport medium. It's also directly powered from the PCI HDSP card.

Do you have any pictures of this? Am I missing a piece of hardware here. For the life of me I don't remember seeing any kind of firewire interface on the RME card face. Maybe there's a FW port available on the RME card itself??? Hmmmm...

I picked up the digiface and PCI card used for $350 CAD (~345 USD)

I got my HDSP for about that price. I'm passively looking for a second card. But heck...if the Digiface works, I see no reason to spring for the HDSP.

The digiface also has a headphone jack on it. I've setup the RME mixer tool to only route the S/PDIF channel to the headphone jack, so now I can select the S/PDIF channel for the solo channel and I still get 24 channels of ADAT in/out.

Nice! I was able to play computer .wav files through the RME card *without* using up an ADA8K input. I did this in my living room and can't remember how I did it...damn failing memory!

905shmick
11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
The digiface is an external box. Its basically an external HDSP 9652.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3PC08zT_pDnO9XBW4oP9KRlgMpIZrL 0iP5FkVGZsWl6AUi74L

The PC has the PCI HDSP card in it.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgIFCnByw6JcOtNagWN2aGwIeyvYvOP w2NEtNehWMM0d9MTMCC6A

The 2 cases will be linked via a firewire cable. The ADA8000 units are still connected via toslink to the digiface.

beau
11-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Donnie, I have the same case. Be advised that a full ATX will not work in this case. It has the floor space, but your slots will not line up in the back.

Donnie Frank
11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Donnie, I have the same case. Be advised that a full ATX will not work in this case. It has the floor space, but your slots will not line up in the back.

Great...well, hopefully I can make it work. It's on it's way to my house. I have a bevy of motherboards laying around. I'll make something work.

Donnie Frank
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM
The digiface is an external box. Its basically an external HDSP 9652.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3PC08zT_pDnO9XBW4oP9KRlgMpIZrL 0iP5FkVGZsWl6AUi74L

The PC has the PCI HDSP card in it.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgIFCnByw6JcOtNagWN2aGwIeyvYvOP w2NEtNehWMM0d9MTMCC6A

The 2 cases will be linked via a firewire cable. The ADA8000 units are still connected via toslink to the digiface.

I had no idea the Digiface was an external unit. It looks rack-mountable...is it? Thanx for the great pictures, BTW.

The other advantage seems to be the MIDI interface is on the front AND back of the unit. This could come in handy for the MotorMix.

Craig Allen
11-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I had no idea the Digiface was an external unit. It looks rack-mountable...is it? Thanx for the great pictures, BTW.

The other advantage seems to be the MIDI interface is on the front AND back of the unit. This could come in handy for the MotorMix.

've got one rack mounted on a shelf. It's been solid for years.