PDA

View Full Version : OT: Windows 7 Firewire Tip

Bruce Callaway
11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
This may be a useful tip for those trying using a firewire device with Win 7. I was getting ready for the local Christmas Carols in the park with SAC and a Echo Audiofire Pre8. I have used this configuration quite a bit with Win XP and SAC with no problems.

Since then, I have loaded Windows 7 on my laptop and found the Audiofire wouldn't work, audio would freeze. Win 7 said I had a Ricoh driver and I tried all 3 options it provided with no luck.

After lots of web searching, I decided to try the other available Win 7 firewire device drivers and tried the VIA driver and it worked straight up (and pretty good as well).

So if you move to Win 7 and have similar problems, try using the drivers for the devices that Win 7 says you should not use :( It just may work for you.

RBIngraham
11-20-2010, 05:54 PM
This may be a useful tip for those trying using a firewire device with Win 7. I was getting ready for the local Christmas Carols in the park with SAC and a Echo Audiofire Pre8. I have used this configuration quite a bit with Win XP and SAC with no problems.

Since then, I have loaded Windows 7 on my laptop and found the Audiofire wouldn't work, audio would freeze. Win 7 said I had a Ricoh driver and I tried all 3 options it provided with no luck.

After lots of web searching, I decided to try the other available Win 7 firewire device drivers and tried the VIA driver and it worked straight up (and pretty good as well).

So if you move to Win 7 and have similar problems, try using the drivers for the devices that Win 7 says you should not use :( It just may work for you.

Thanks for the info and also thanks for letting us know about the Audiofire 8 Pre. I have been looking at that unit, and wondering if it would be a good card for SAC and other mid sized event usage. How does it sound? Are the preamps decent?

Thanks,

Bruce Callaway
11-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info and also thanks for letting us know about the Audiofire 8 Pre. I have been looking at that unit, and wondering if it would be a good card for SAC and other mid sized event usage. How does it sound? Are the preamps decent?

Thanks,Hi Richard, the preamps are quite good given the price. I have always gotten a good sound from it. I previously used an RME PCMCIA card with a digiface and got the Audiofire Pre8 for small gigs direct into the laptop. It is easy to setup and use with ASIO and has routable outputs.