PDA

View Full Version : Tick Resolution

Microstudio
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
What is the purpose of Tick Resolution? The manual does not offer info on what it is used for it only states you use it to set Tick Resolution.

RobertV
11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I assume you are referring to MIDI Ticks:

From an old cubase manual:

Bars, beats, sixteenth notes and ticks. By default there are 120
ticks per sixteenth note but you can adjust this with the “MIDI Display
Resolution” setting in the Preferences dialog (MIDI page).

I take it, this impacts the density of the midi messages that will be generated when creating fades, note bending, panning changes etc.

Cheers...Robert V.

TotalSonic
11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
What is the purpose of Tick Resolution? The manual does not offer info on what it is used for it only states you use it to set Tick Resolution.

Generally tick resolution in MIDI refers to the set rate of pulses per quarter note (PPQ). The greater the tick resolution the more accurately the recorded MIDI notes can reproduce an actual performance or "human feel", because there is a finer possible division between each beat. Of course if you are just looking for mechanical sequencing where the greatest resolution is say just 16th notes then the extra resolution is unneeded and in some cases (depending on the coding of the app, the amount of midi messages being sent, and the cpu power available) might also tax the system.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Microstudio
11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok thanks.

Cary B. Cornett
11-23-2010, 04:18 AM
This reminds me of a problem I ran across months ago, and I don't remember whether it was finally resolved. Sometimes, when playing a sequence from MWS through a VSTi, there would be dropped notes. I remember that one theory for why was the fact that MWS resolved timing much finer than "ticks" in its MT, so that it could actually send "between ticks", which apparently would "upset" some VSTi's. I think there was talk about a "resolve to tick" option, but I don't remember if anything came of that idea.