PDA

View Full Version : first Night Running Sac

Dan Fulton
11-28-2010, 02:56 AM
well... Tonight was the first time mixing live with the rig and boy was it fun. Everything seem to go really good. Little tweeks needed to the system. but boy i found low end with FOH Stacks that I never though the could throw. running JBL VRX tops and single 18's under each stack.

Only had one buffer slip on the output not sure where i came thru the night but never heard it was running at 35-39 percent with FOH Mix.

Next step is configure the new router and get the Moniter mixes running thru the SAC instead of the Mix Wiz.

All an all gotta thank Bob and the crew for a great chunk of software and everybodys help on here to the system rolling

Dan

Donnie Frank
11-28-2010, 11:25 AM
well... Tonight was the first time mixing live with the rig and boy was it fun. Everything seem to go really good. Little tweeks needed to the system. but boy i found low end with FOH Stacks that I never though the could throw. running JBL VRX tops and single 18's under each stack.

Only had one buffer slip on the output not sure where i came thru the night but never heard it was running at 35-39 percent with FOH Mix.

Next step is configure the new router and get the Moniter mixes running thru the SAC instead of the Mix Wiz.

All an all gotta thank Bob and the crew for a great chunk of software and everybodys help on here to the system rolling

Dan

If you mix monitors through headphones like I do, you're going to find the Solo Chase mode a god-send. Tweaking monitor mixes to give the artist what they want and manipulating their mix to get them to give you what you need has never been easier. I wouldn't hesitate to do a dozen monitor mixes this way from FOH.

Dan Fulton
11-28-2010, 02:02 PM
good tip thanks for the info.

I gotta get an IEM rig for myself. But that is the next purchase down the road here.

What i took away from last night with the mix I did is. Gotta work on the vocal channels little more. Clean up the guitars little more and Little Tom work.

But it was a hard room to dial in slate floor,hardwood trim all over the place and low ceilings and a long hall

are next venue is gonna be a better place and can should beable to clean it up. Plus where gonna stop into local place that we normally play and there gonna allow us to do some sound checks and setup the in ears on a sunday.

Donnie Frank
11-28-2010, 05:53 PM
good tip thanks for the info.

I gotta get an IEM rig for myself. But that is the next purchase down the road here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're fairly new to mixing and on a workin' man's budget.

The most band-for-the-buck will be a Sennheiser G1 IEM transmitter and receiver. If you can afford the G2, get it. The Sennheiser has a 1/4" stereo jack in the front for your headphones. But should you feel saucy and want to mix remotely, you can carry the belt pack with you and plug your cans into that. Beware that the belt pack has a 1/8" plug.

What i took away from last night with the mix I did is. Gotta work on the vocal channels little more. Clean up the guitars little more and Little Tom work.

If you run a separate sub-woofer mix, the vox will practically take care of themselves. Just keep the vox out of the subs and very little tweaking is required to make them clear. Here are some sample mixes taken right off the camera microphones. Note that, despite a fair amount of sound pressure in a small area, you can hear the vocals fairly clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZoz6m-4SHE&feature=related

But it was a hard room to dial in slate floor,hardwood trim all over the place and low ceilings and a long hall

Sounds like a "worst case" scenario. The club in the video is much the same way sans the long hall.

are next venue is gonna be a better place and can should beable to clean it up. Plus where gonna stop into local place that we normally play and there gonna allow us to do some sound checks and setup the in ears on a sunday.

Good deal. Right now "extra time" is your best friend. Do yourself a favor, once you get everything set, shut everything down and then bring it back up again. Make sure the results are what you expected.

Good luck!

Dan Fulton
11-28-2010, 10:19 PM
thanks for the tips on the subs will definitly give them all a go

and yeah fairly new to the mixing world been doing it on and off since highschool just never had a full time gig witha band like this.

so on the sub mix would i just have a main stereo out and a mono for subs

I have a 4 sub groups running right now

Drums
Bass guitar
Guitars
Vocal

so the band is running a set of VRX tops and 2 single 18inch vrx bottoms
with a drive rack pa (i know not the greats but i work with what i have]

so i think i will need a crossover plugin if i am catching your drift here am i correct?

Donnie Frank
11-28-2010, 11:58 PM
thanks for the tips on the subs will definitly give them all a go

and yeah fairly new to the mixing world been doing it on and off since highschool just never had a full time gig witha band like this.

so on the sub mix would i just have a main stereo out and a mono for subs

In a word, yes. But to avoid confusion I have been assigning everything as stereo. Any mono outputs go to the odd numbers. This leaves all the even numbers on your ADA8K open. So say a wedge turns into a stereo IEM, all you have to do is use the corresponding even number. For example, my channels:

1 - 2: mains
3 - 4: subs
5 - 6: Monitor 1
7 - 8: Monitor 2

and so on. So my normals set up I only actually use channels 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. But if say monitor mix #2 wants stereo IEM's, it's as simple as using outputs 7 AND 8. For the subs I use 3. But who knows...I may feel saucy someday and have need for a second pair of subs. Those will go on 4. Let your imagination run a muck....<:^)

I have a 4 sub groups running right now

Drums
Bass guitar
Guitars
Vocal

so the band is running a set of VRX tops and 2 single 18inch vrx bottoms
with a drive rack pa (i know not the greats but i work with what i have]

so i think i will need a crossover plugin if i am catching your drift here am i correct?

Absolutely. The Dual Linkwitz Riley plugin totally rocks. It's free and it works well.

If you read up on LR plugins, the math is quite interesting. If you want to avoid phase issues (and you do at this point), for your dB/octave curve, use only multiples of 24. e.g. 24, 48, 96, etc. I personally use 48dB/octave curve and love it. You'll be amazed how much separation you get between your high cabinets and subs. Forget the drive rack. SAC can handle all your processing. Less A/D D/A conversions mean less latency.

Good luck!