PDA

View Full Version : Man times are a changing.

Microstudio
12-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I have seen it all now... Goggles new Web Store is now selling web apps that run in your browser. So I am checking it out and low and behold there is a
multi-track app. What is so cool about this is its a web page app, you install it and when you start it you are taken to a url and it loads.

So I installed it, the free version, started it and press record and I was recording! It saw my audio card.. it was easy and it sounds great and its a web page!!!!:eek:

So what does this mean? Software is moving to the web and this will bring down cost, fight software copies, less space needed on C: drive, apps are always with you on any PC thats on the internet....thats off the tip of my mind.

Bob its just starting make a SAW app for the Chrome Web Store and shock the world... sell millions of copies and enjoy!

Check it out for yourself... its just a wee little baby of software that will grow up fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-VWMKpQiI&feature=player_embedded

Tim Miskimon
12-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Personally I don't want the web or anything to do with the web to have any connection to my audio recording world at all - period!

I think that little program is for beginners and someone just playing around with audio.
As far as the pro world - we are always gonna need a dedicated program and platform to do serious audio.

The internet irritates me so the last thing I want is it to be tied to my audio program.

MikeDee
12-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Personally I don't want the web or anything to do with the web to have any connection to my audio recording world at all - period!

I think that little program is for beginners and someone just playing around with audio.
As far as the pro world - we are always gonna need a dedicated program and platform to do serious audio.

The internet irritates me so the last thing I want is it to be tied to my audio program.Not to mention a giant security hole with a potential loss of your intellectual capital (i.e., your data, your music) if the pipe is not encrypted (e.g., SSL -- https). Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that all track data will be stored on one or more remote servers, no? :confused::eek:

Cary B. Cornett
12-10-2010, 04:07 AM
Cute though the program looks as presented on the video, I have to agree with the comments already made. It appears to be aimed at letting people tinker with audio without needing to understand much. It also seems to be designed to encourage an "open source" sharing model for whatever the user does with it. I do not like the idea of having my work stored on a server that is not under my exclusive control, and if I want an off-site copy I can up-load it to the server of my choice after the fact.

I could see it as an introduction to DAW's, but I would probably not want to start someone out on it if they were to move to SAW later, as there would be another person complaining about the SAW UI instead of learning its power.

Microstudio
12-10-2010, 07:07 AM
You guys are missing the point. Its a program
that runs in a browser and it is not installed
on your system. This does not mean that the
audio or program settings can't be saved to the
systems drives.

I just used this audio app as a example of the
technolgy I am not thinking it is going to
replace system daws but it will take some
of their market. Wait tell a major player
writes an app in HTML5 I am sure 1 of them
is working on it already. This will be fun to
watch.

DamonD
12-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah the potential is there for your own remote recording. Whether Myna allows it or not, you could potentially host the "server" at your "studio", then while out at a remote site or where ever, you just bring up a browser, and connect to your server and start recording your sessions.

Although SAW already does that with the TCP/IP connections. Albeit not in a browser, nor does it need to.

But as MikeDee mentioned the security implications, etc... it also uses Flash and there are other issues there.

But yes, it will be interesting to see where this leads.

Damon

Tim Miskimon
12-10-2010, 07:59 PM
You guys are missing the point. Its a program
that runs in a browser and it is not installed
on your system.

I run SAWSTUDIO on my Netbook from a USB stick - Saw is not actually installed on that system and still works as if it is.
Try that with Nuendo,Sonar, Pro Tools, Etc....:D

Tom Roberts
12-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I run SAWSTUDIO on my Netbook from a USB stick - Saw is not actually installed on that system and still works as if it is.
Try that with Nuendo,Sonar, Pro Tools, Etc....:D

Why would anyone bother, even if it is possible? I mean who cares about running a DAW from a netbook?

Try including free OMF support. Now that may mean something to somebody who doesn't want to spend extra hundreds on a conversion program.

Thomas

Angie
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Why would anyone bother, even if it is possible? I mean who cares about running a DAW from a netbook?

I did a few months ago. I needed to do some editing on a project that had a fast approaching deadline. I mean a matter of hours. The studio computer was in the middle of an upgrade. There was no time to get it back together. Grabbed the thumbdrive and ran SAW on my brand new netbook. Editing was finished in record time.

ambler
12-11-2010, 06:53 AM
The point of applications that run in a browser is they can run in any operating system.

Mark.

Microstudio
12-11-2010, 07:09 AM
The Chrome OS is coming and if you do a little research you can learn more about it. There are a lot of reasons why this new technology will catch on and and work thats what this thread is about and I find it very interesting.

Cary B. Cornett
12-11-2010, 08:13 AM
The point of applications that run in a browser is they can run in any operating system.

Mark. That's fine for applications that don't need to be FAST, but for serious processing in real time, there is simply too much overhead from multiple stages of "translation", from app code to Java (or other platform) to OS to processor and back again. Being OS-agnostic is a cool sounding idea, but it comes with some fairly important penalties. If it didn't it should have completely taken over long before now.

Tim Miskimon
12-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Thomas

Netbooks do a pretty nice job for mobile recording.
But my point was "who cares about recording in a browser" when a Saw user can run their software on any system even if it's not installed on it - no Iloks, no key codes, etc.

dbarrow
12-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Not to mention a giant security hole with a potential loss of your intellectual capital (i.e., your data, your music) if the pipe is not encrypted (e.g., SSL -- https). Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that all track data will be stored on one or more remote servers, no? :confused::eek:That's exactly why I think "they" want to move everything to "the cloud". "They" will have aacess to all your data and can shut you down at any time if you are deemed to not comply with any number of arbitrary guidelines. Why wouldn't want to manage your own information and keep it private, especially your audio recording projects? This "cloud" concept seems like a no-brainer to me. I don't want any of my information or projects on "the cloud". It's a sick concept, in my mind.

Yes, I realize much of my info is already out there. That doesn't mean I like it.

905shmick
12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
This "cloud" concept seems like a no-brainer to me. I don't want any of my information or projects on "the cloud". It's a sick concept, in my mind.

The "cloud" is nothing more than a marketing term. What used to be "online" is now being called the cloud. There are plenty of cases for using "cloud" based services and plenty of cases where it doesn't make any sense at all. It all comes down to what you want/need to do with your data and how available you need to make it. "Cloud" based backup services are becoming very popular as you can effectively have an offsite backup of your data that can be retrieved anytime, anywhere. Just be sure to read the fine print on if that data is being encrypted or not, etc.

dbarrow
12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
The "cloud" is nothing more than a marketing term. What used to be "online" is now being called the cloud. There are plenty of cases for using "cloud" based services and plenty of cases where it doesn't make any sense at all. It all comes down to what you want/need to do with your data and how available you need to make it. "Cloud" based backup services are becoming very popular as you can effectively have an offsite backup of your data that can be retrieved anytime, anywhere. Just be sure to read the fine print on if that data is being encrypted or not, etc.I have a relative that works for a company that promotes having all your home and business energy and security needs run "in the could". The local government here has already installed "smart thermostats" on some businesses and homes where they can dial down or shut off your energy "needs" remotely via "the cloud". They are very proud of the power it gives them over your everyday life. You see the average person is pretty much ignorant and can't make decisions for themselves. That is why the government and/or technologically superior individuals need to manage your resources on "the cloud". It is a slick sales concept to get you to turn over your decisions to people much more capable of running your life than you could ever possibly hope to.

905shmick
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a relative that works for a company that promotes having all your home and business energy and security needs run "in the could". The local government here has already installed "smart thermostats" on some businesses and homes where they can dial down or shut off your energy "needs" remotely via "the cloud". They are very proud of the power it gives them over your everyday life. You see the average person is pretty much ignorant and can't make decisions for themselves. That is why the government and/or technologically superior individuals need to manage your resources on "the cloud". It is a slick sales concept to get you to turn over your decisions to people much more capable of running your life than you could ever possibly hope to.

What you are describing is not really part of "the cloud". They're able to remotely control a device at your home, which is something different than what cloud services are.

In Canada this is something that is pretty common with regards to our power meters though the ability to have the power utility dial down the power is something that requires the consent of the home owner. Not sure if this is the same for businesses or not.

Microstudio
12-13-2010, 11:36 AM
This thread is about WEB based apps and just because they are web based and run in a browser does not mean you can't have all your settings and audio on your PC, it does mean you can have it on theirs and yours or just yours or just theirs......Choices!

The Software coders can code it anyway they want. The audio app I tried is the 1st one and only a 1st offering on the NEW Goggle Web Store that just came out, it does not mean that all apps are going to be like that one... its NEW!

This thread is about apps that run in your browser and it is the future and its going to be cool... so get used to it ;)

905shmick
12-13-2010, 12:01 PM
This thread is about WEB based apps and just because they are web based and run in a browser does not mean you can't have all your settings and audio on your PC, it does mean you can have it on theirs and yours or just yours or just theirs......Choices!

The Software coders can code it anyway they want. The audio app I tried is the 1st one and only a 1st offering on the NEW Goggle Web Store that just came out, it does not mean that all apps are going to be like that one... its NEW!

This thread is about apps that run in your browser and it is the future and its going to be cool... so get used to it ;)

I manage multimillion dollar enterprise server and storage systems with web based apps. Nothing new here :)

Ian Alexander
12-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I manage multimillion dollar enterprise server and storage systems with web based apps. Nothing new here :)
I hadn't heard of web based audio apps. Sounds new to me. [shrug]

Microstudio
12-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Server apps have been around a long time but WEB BASED APP STORES have not for the consumer so you can understand what I am talking about ;)

905shmick
12-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Server apps have been around a long time but WEB BASED APP STORES have not for the consumer so you can understand what I am talking about ;)

I understand and also think it's a natural progression for many things. I get a chuckle at some of the tinfoil hat wearing crowd around here who think this is a very bad idea and that it will somehow lead down a slippery slope where the government now controls what you do. Also, it's a change in the way we do things, and you know, change is bad. Very bad :D

Microstudio
12-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I understand and also think it's a natural progression for many things. I get a chuckle at some of the tinfoil hat wearing crowd around here who think this is a very bad idea and that it will somehow lead down a slippery slope where the government now controls what you do. Also, it's a change in the way we do things, and you know, change is bad. Very bad :D

I agree.

Tim Miskimon
12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
I have a relative that works for a company that promotes having all your home and business energy and security needs run "in the could". The local government here has already installed "smart thermostats" on some businesses and homes where they can dial down or shut off your energy "needs" remotely via "the cloud". They are very proud of the power it gives them over your everyday life. You see the average person is pretty much ignorant and can't make decisions for themselves. That is why the government and/or technologically superior individuals need to manage your resources on "the cloud". It is a slick sales concept to get you to turn over your decisions to people much more capable of running your life than you could ever possibly hope to.

I bet you that those so called "smart thermostats" are no where to be found in the White House or congress.
It's all about CONTROL.
It won't be long and the internet will be under the government's control.
So they will control all that you see and hear sort of like the Outer Limits...:eek:
That's why they've been kinda quiet about the Wikileaks guy.
They will use that as an example of why the government should control the internet -
Then everything will be taxed and monitored by uncle SAM.
Like everything else most people are unaware of the facts - blind, ignorant, stupid or all of the above.
I don't want the power companies or the federal government telling me how to set my thermostat or how much gas I should use or what kind of car I should drive or what kind of food I should eat or if I should smoke cigarettes or how I should raise my kids.
I think I can make those decisions for myself and do a better job than the government.
Afterall I've done a pretty good job of managing my affairs both public and private - the government certainly can't make that claim truthfully....:D

P.S.
I don't wear a tinfoil hat (in fact I don't even know what in the hell that means) but yes after seeing how inept the government has been at handling our money & our national security - I don't trust them at all.
I'm very worried about losing the freedoms that have been handed down to us.
It's up to us to keep an eye on those that are in control and threaten our liberty.

JLepore
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I have one of those smart thermostats. I can remotely control it from my phone so I can get peak savings. They also track usage for me so I can see how often things are running. I suppose they could shut it off, although a jumper cable lets me turn things on pretty quick, as would shuting off the wireless router it talks to.

I know the company that makes them is marketting them to energy companies for their remote capabilities. Out here we have the concept of a "Saver Switch". If you agree to let the power company power cycle your A/C and Water Heater when they have heavy demand, they give you an energy discount all year long. Currently, they have to put a box on your house and connect into everything. Using this system, they could do it all electronically, not require additional hardware, and save everyone a lot of time. You still have to sign up for the service (and discount).

It's not evil - it's a great idea. It also becomes a free $300 thermostat.
www.ecobee.com (http://www.ecobee.com)

BrianR
12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
P.S.
I don't wear a tinfoil hat (in fact I don't even know what in the hell that means)

We still have our Google Freedoms ;)
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tinfoil+hat&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

So they will control all that you see and hear sort of like the Outer Limits...:eek:

Are you sure ? :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

Microstudio
12-13-2010, 08:03 PM
How can a post about Google's new Web Store make people think that the government is taking over.... I find this ridiculous.

Cary B. Cornett
12-14-2010, 04:11 AM
How can a post about Google's new Web Store make people think that the government is taking over.... I find this ridiculous. I don't think it was a "Cause and Effect" as much as it was a "BTW, that reminds me". Frankly I can see both sides of this argument. For some things, a move to the Web does seem to be a natural progression, and for some things it is a useful convenience. As happens with many new tech developments, though, there is a tendency to carry it a bit farther than really makes sense for many of us. If I want something "in the cloud"... well that's part of why I pay for web hosting. I personally prefer to have the "default" location of my stuff be local, with the option to explicitly upload it to my web server space.

I also believe that it is a natural tendency among governments everywhere to increase their power at the expense of personal liberties (often in ways that are probably not intended, but the effect is still there). It is part of our civic responsibility to pull the Governing Class up short occasionally and remind them that there are limits to what is proper for them to do or to demand that others do. That is one of the big reasons that we have regular elections, although sometimes it is also necessary for us to make our voices heard in other (but please, nonviolent) ways.

There are Government efforts in play to assert greater control over the Internet, nothing "tin foil hat" about it. At least part of the discussion on this is out in the open. Currently the Internet is a dangerous place, but that danger is an inseperable side consequence of the freedom that still mostly prevails there. Individual responsibility, individual consequence. The trick is to keep both power-grabbing classes, the Government and the Robber Barons (who all too often, regardless of party affiliation, in league with each other), from taking too much control over this wonderful community resource, which equally wonderfully is provided voluntarily through private means.

So, for those who want to move all of their own stuff "to the cloud", fine, so long as I am not compelled to go along. They have their choice, I have mine, it's all good. In fact, it is a wonderful example of the proper balance of the individual right to decide what risks to take, a right that, yes, to some degree our Government has been working to take away. Again, no tin foil hat, you can find it in black-letter law (remember the health care bill?).

Carl G.
12-14-2010, 05:24 AM
....1st offering on the NEW Goggle Web Store that just came out, it does not mean that all apps are going to be like that one... its NEW! ....
I think it's more profound than some little new app. It seems Google is positioning to become the next Walmart! (a default "Start" shopping place for a large population).

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 05:50 AM
The WEB APP Store is going to be a market for software companies to sell their software and not have to worry about people stealing their product, people will not have to updated the software it will be automatic, because its a browser based app it will work better across different OS's and there should be less need for tech help. For the users the new Chrome OS is going to great as it is mostly just a browser OS that uses APPs from the Google WEB Store.... Genius! Doesn't this make you think of a phone and an App Store? Now think of this... A phone that is linked up to all the apps on your PC... think of how contacted you can be with what is on your PC, App and network. Apple has dropped the ball again and Google is going to be the next Microsoft but even bigger and better. Stop focusing on the Clouds and look around at what is happening around you on the ground...;)

Grekim
12-14-2010, 05:51 AM
I can see a web based recording system having an edge for remote recording...where the musicians are in different cities. Then having a central software that was orchestrating the track sync and a fetching and storing to a common data storage system would seem to make sense. Anyone know the latency from Tuscon to Connecticut? :rolleyes:

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 05:51 AM
I think it's more profound than some little new app. It seems Google is positioning to become the next Walmart! (a default "Start" shopping place for a large population).

You nailed it.

Discipled1
12-14-2010, 06:04 AM
I have one of those smart thermostats.

It's not evil - it's a great idea. It also becomes a free $300 thermostat.
www.ecobee.com (http://www.ecobee.com)

Nothing is ever free! :)

Cary B. Cornett
12-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Anyone know the latency from Tuscon to Connecticut? :rolleyes: If you are at one of those locations, you might be able to find out at Pingtest.net.

As for running realtime MT audio over the cloud, the necessary speeds are simply not there yet. Isn't the ability to send track files back and forth revolutionary enough?

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Nothing is ever free! :)

Air is ;)

905shmick
12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
If you are at one of those locations, you might be able to find out at Pingtest.net.

As for running realtime MT audio over the cloud, the necessary speeds are simply not there yet. Isn't the ability to send track files back and forth revolutionary enough?

Remote audio over the internet != cloud.

Doing a MT recording over the internet is very doable today. You only need 88.2 KB/sec of upload bandwidth per track at 44.1/16. Most cable and dsl connections would be able to upload 4-6 simultaneous tracks at that speed without any problem. Get 4-6 different people uploading to you and you can easily do 24 tracks.

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 08:33 AM

Doing a MT recording over the internet is very doable today. You only need 88.2 KB/sec of upload bandwidth per track at 44.1/16. Most cable and dsl connections would be able to upload 4-6 simultaneous tracks at that speed without any problem. Get 4-6 different people uploading to you and you can easily do 24 tracks.

This is true and IMHO its going to hit the road running not only with audio but with all kinds of other apps.

Now the question is who is going to be the first major player to make a WEB APP and millions will buy it and use it?... its going to happen!

Grekim
12-14-2010, 09:03 AM
If you are at one of those locations, you might be able to find out at Pingtest.net.

Oh yeah. I think much of the best music happens when the whole band actually tracks together...same time, same room. These days, THAT's almost revolutionary.

jazzboxmaker
12-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Hey we're more advanced than that- we have aluminum foil hats;)

Tim Miskimon
12-14-2010, 09:27 AM

Have you noticed how embedded Google has become in the latest versions of Internet Explorer?
It has become a real anoyance and slows down your computer.
I have it on my machine because Firefox sometimes won't open some websites correctly.

Tim Miskimon
12-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Air is ;)

So was water in years past....and gas was once $0.15 a gallon...than the government got involved.....:D

Tim Miskimon
12-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Would you really count on the internet for the integerity of a recording?
I don't think a serious client would allow it and I wouldn't bet my reputation on it neither.
It might be a cool idea at first glance but it comes with a lot of warnings.
I also wouldn't keep a bag of money in my mail box over night...:eek:

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think a serious client would allow it and I wouldn't bet my reputation on it neither.

Why do you think anyone would say to a client " at my studio we record to a server via the internet only"?

This technology is just something that can and will add to the services your customers "may" need.

I can see one of the major players getting involved in this.... they are going to have to if they want to stay competitive and when they do people will say... This is so cool!

905shmick
12-14-2010, 10:11 AM

No, I don't think I'd trust it for a professional recording, but I think it would be perfectly acceptable if you were trying to do something collaborative or were using it for practice purposes.

Not sure what a bag of money in a mailbox has to do with recording over the internet...

I access my money all the time via the internet, haven't lost a penny yet :D

DominicPerry
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
The Cloud is not the Internet. The Internet is not the Cloud. In case of any confusion, then there is masses of information on the web. There's no need to discuss it here.
I'm not sure of the intention of the original post, although I do find the repeated hectoring about how we are missing the point rather irritating. It's not the future, and even if it is, it's certainly not my future.
Setting aside government control and tin hats, the real point here is simply consumerism. There are a huge number of really un-talented individuals who look around for the latest drum sequencer, microphone or DAW as the thing which will transform their mediocrity into magic. Whilst I think web-apps for music is a stupid idea, I'm sure there are some people with talent who could make good music with them. Google is not interested in them - it wants the other 10 million idiots to use their app so they can sell advertising space. The only 'radical' element is that you are not spending money on the apps, instead you use them for free and advertisers spend the money.
I can't see the point in this appearing in the SAW forum at all. Maybe I just got out of the wrong side of bed today.

Dominic

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
The Cloud is not the Internet. The Internet is not the Cloud. In case of any confusion, then there is masses of information on the web. There's no need to discuss it here.
I'm not sure of the intention of the original post, although I do find the repeated hectoring about how we are missing the point rather irritating. It's not the future, and even if it is, it's certainly not my future.
Setting aside government control and tin hats, the real point here is simply consumerism. There are a huge number of really un-talented individuals who look around for the latest drum sequencer, microphone or DAW as the thing which will transform their mediocrity into magic. Whilst I think web-apps for music is a stupid idea, I'm sure there are some people with talent who could make good music with them. Google is not interested in them - it wants the other 10 million idiots to use their app so they can sell advertising space. The only 'radical' element is that you are not spending money on the apps, instead you use them for free and advertisers spend the money.
I can't see the point in this appearing in the SAW forum at all. Maybe I just got out of the wrong side of bed today.

Dominic

You missed my point in my post which started this thread. It is relevant here because it has to do with technology that has to do with audio and we all know that we talk about all things audio and more plus SAW, MWS and SAC here.

All APPs will not be free thus the ones you pay for will not have advertising and maybe you did get out of bed on the wrong side ;)

DominicPerry
12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
You missed my point in my post which started this thread. It is relevant here because it has to do with technology that has to do with audio and we all know that we talk about all things audio and more plus SAW, MWS and SAC here.

All APPs will not be free thus the ones you pay for will not have advertising and maybe you did get out of bed on the wrong side ;)

It's odd how often you tell people they've missed the point.

Dominic

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 11:50 AM
It's odd how often you tell people they've missed the point.

Dominic

Ya I hear you... I guess its because most people don't start reading from the 1st post or they just want to spin it into something else.

Ian Alexander
12-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Have you noticed how embedded Google has become in the latest versions of Internet Explorer?
I have it on my machine because Firefox sometimes won't open some websites correctly.
I think Bing is more often the default search engine in IE. No surprise, since Bing is a Microsoft service. You can change your preferred search engine to any of quite a large number in the IE settings. Also, if you don't uncheck certain boxes when downloading updates to certain products, the Google toolbar may end up taking over IE. I'm not trying to hide brandnames here. I just can't remember what they are.:o

905shmick
12-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Want a fast browser? Try google chrome. It's blazingly fast even compared to firefox. I've ditched FF for chrome and haven't looked back. There's a nice selection of extensions for chrome as well.

Ian Alexander
12-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Want a fast browser? Try google chrome. It's blazingly fast even compared to firefox. I've ditched FF for chrome and haven't looked back. There's a nice selection of extensions for chrome as well.
So, is Chrome an upgrade from Tin?:D

Tom Roberts
12-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Ya I hear you... I guess its because most people don't start reading from the 1st post or they just want to spin it into something else.

It seems to me more like everyone is disagreeing with your prediction of the audio future, and you are assuming that disagreement is somehow missing your point.

iPhone has had a multi-track recorder app for a long time. It is not the future of pro recording.

Thomas

Cary B. Cornett
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Air is ;) Air is not entirely free in most of the free industrialized nations. In the US we have clean air laws/regulations that require various industries to "clean up" their emissions, and sometimes require extra expenses in the form of inspections and repairs from individual automobile owners. The costs of the requirements placed on factories and businesses are passed on to the customer, or result in production being moved to less regulated environments as in China.

Lest you think that I am against clean air, on the contrary. I have seen the effects of these regulations on the air quality of the greater Detroit area, and I would not want to go back.

Nevertheless, no, air, or at least good air, is not free anymore.

Cary B. Cornett
12-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Doing a MT recording over the internet is very doable today. You only need 88.2 KB/sec of upload bandwidth per track at 44.1/16. Most cable and dsl connections would be able to upload 4-6 simultaneous tracks at that speed without any problem. Get 4-6 different people uploading to you and you can easily do 24 tracks. This is fine for files, but not, in practice, for real-time audio, at least not over conventional "cable" broadband connections. How do I know this? I'm so cheap about some things that I use Magic Jack, which costs $20 a year, and is completely dependent on the quality of my broadband (currently 6 Mb) internet connection. MJ requires a constant available bandwidth (during a call) of only about 80 kb, the tiniest fraction of the stated speed of the connection I pay for, yet it is still common for me to have either garbled audio or dropped calls, not all the time, but at unpredictable intervals. This makes me seriously doubt that I could rely on multiple real-time uncompressed live audio feeds.

905shmick
12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
This is fine for files, but not, in practice, for real-time audio, at least not over conventional "cable" broadband connections. How do I know this? I'm so cheap about some things that I use Magic Jack, which costs $20 a year, and is completely dependent on the quality of my broadband (currently 6 Mb) internet connection. MJ requires a constant available bandwidth (during a call) of only about 80 kb, the tiniest fraction of the stated speed of the connection I pay for, yet it is still common for me to have either garbled audio or dropped calls, not all the time, but at unpredictable intervals. This makes me seriously doubt that I could rely on multiple real-time uncompressed live audio feeds.

You're comparing the magicjack client/server model to a peer to peer model. Magicjack sucks because the backend system at magicjack sucks. In order for you to make an MJ call, your computer has to keep a connection to the MJ server open and then the MJ backend does the rest using the cheapest VOIP service they can also buy. Garbage in, garbage out.

Compare this to a direct peer to peer connection where the data stream doesn't stop off anywhere else.

MT recording over the internet has been around for a few years and is being done with great success.

Check out http://digitalmusician.net/

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
It seems to me more like everyone is disagreeing with your prediction of the audio future, and you are assuming that disagreement is somehow missing your point.

iPhone has had a multi-track recorder app for a long time. It is not the future of pro recording.

Thomas

I never said that this technology is the future of pro recording nor did i imply it. I do imply that is it going to become (part) of the software of some of the major players out there and even some new comers and thats my point... You agree or disagree and only time will tell and it has nothing to do with a government take over or the clean air act ;)

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 03:19 PM
You're comparing the magicjack client/server model to a peer to peer model. Magicjack sucks because the backend system at magicjack sucks. In order for you to make an MJ call, your computer has to keep a connection to the MJ server open and then the MJ backend does the rest using the cheapest VOIP service they can also buy. Garbage in, garbage out.

Compare this to a direct peer to peer connection where the data stream doesn't stop off anywhere else.

MT recording over the internet has been around for a few years and is being done with great success.

Check out http://digitalmusician.net/

Thanks for the link..... See what happens when a bunch of minds start talking about something... you learn!

I think Bob should jump on this and make a APP!

I watched their ad video... this is really cool stuff.

Tim Miskimon
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
No, I don't think I'd trust it for a professional recording, but I think it would be perfectly acceptable if you were trying to do something collaborative or were using it for practice purposes.

Not sure what a bag of money in a mailbox has to do with recording over the internet...

I access my money all the time via the internet, haven't lost a penny yet :D

I agree that it could have it's uses just not for professional recording.
As far as the bag of money in the mail box - I was comparing that to putting session files on the internet- neither are a very good idea.
Anything on the internet is up for grabs - it's just a matter of time - some hacker will find a way to steal.

Microstudio
12-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I agree that it could have it's uses just not for professional recording.
As far as the bag of money in the mail box - I was comparing that to putting session files on the internet- neither are a very good idea.
Anything on the internet is up for grabs - it's just a matter of time - some hacker will find a way to steal.

I went to the link that 905shmick gave us and signed up and downloaded the software and in the coming days I am going to test it out. I can tell you so far what I have learned is it is totally capable of doing pro audio.

Naturally Digital
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I have it on my machine because Firefox sometimes won't open some websites correctly.It sounds like you have Google Toolbar installed. Check your add-ins/extensions (or whatever MS calls them) and also check your add/remove programs.

Stuff like this is often installed by default when you update Java and similar apps.

conleec
12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Air is ;)

Not if the damn Climate Change Wackos get their way. :p

They're trying to tax us for the CO2 we're exhaling. If that doesn't work, I'm sure they'll try to charge us for the O2 we breath in.

Microstudio
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Not if the damn Climate Change Wackos get their way. :p

They're trying to tax us for the CO2 we're exhaling. If that doesn't work, I'm sure they'll try to charge us for the O2 we breath in.

Oooo my god... everybody run... THE SKY IS FALLING!!! :rolleyes:

Trackzilla
12-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I went to the link that 905shmick gave us and signed up and downloaded the software and in the coming days I am going to test it out. I can tell you so far what I have learned is it is totally capable of doing pro audio.

Looks like a very cool tool.

Oooo my god... everybody run... THE SKY IS FALLING!!! :rolleyes:

Holds no fear for me. I actually wear a carbon fiber bowler...suppose if properly grounded it might help with those pesky government mind probes as well, but it is more about looking good while keeping my brain intact when death comes from above (it has deflected an Altman PAR64 that blinky's intern dropped from 30') :D

Along those same lines, I'd be far more worried about someone hacking my financial info than my session files...usually there has to be a reason for a hacker to actually want the data for them to bother hacking it. Granted there is collateral damage created by scumbags in a quest for something useful, but steal your session tracks? Really? Not saying it isn't a concern for the upper level of this industry, but say...VO sessions, commercial jingles, radio spots, etc...how much usefulness would a hacker really have for those?

Tim Miskimon
12-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Looks like a very cool tool.

Holds no fear for me. I actually wear a carbon fiber bowler...suppose if properly grounded it might help with those pesky government mind probes as well, but it is more about looking good while keeping my brain intact when death comes from above (it has deflected an Altman PAR64 that blinky's intern dropped from 30') :D

Along those same lines, I'd be far more worried about someone hacking my financial info than my session files...usually there has to be a reason for a hacker to actually want the data for them to bother hacking it. Granted there is collateral damage created by scumbags in a quest for something useful, but steal your session tracks? Really? Not saying it isn't a concern for the upper level of this industry, but say...VO sessions, commercial jingles, radio spots, etc...how much usefulness would a hacker really have for those?

Hackers & the freaks that create computer viruses do it just for the hell of it.
They like to see people suffer I guess - so I wouldn't give them a chance to cause me any damage.

RBIngraham
12-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Nah. They actually pay their employees and give them things like health care. :D

RBIngraham
12-15-2010, 09:53 PM
P.S.
I don't wear a tinfoil hat (in fact I don't even know what in the hell that means) but yes after seeing how inept the government has been at handling our money & our national security - I don't trust them at all.
I'm very worried about losing the freedoms that have been handed down to us.
It's up to us to keep an eye on those that are in control and threaten our liberty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

Cary B. Cornett
12-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Holds no fear for me. I actually wear a carbon fiber bowler... Hey! Where can I get one of those?
suppose if properly grounded it might help with those pesky government mind probes as well, but it is more about looking good while keeping my brain intact when death comes from above (it has deflected an Altman PAR64 that blinky's intern dropped from 30') :D
To quote Jimi Hendrix: "Fall, mountains. Just don't fall on me." ;)

Dave Labrecque
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I can see a web based recording system having an edge for remote recording...where the musicians are in different cities. Then having a central software that was orchestrating the track sync and a fetching and storing to a common data storage system would seem to make sense. Anyone know the latency from Tuscon to Connecticut? :rolleyes:

Haven't done that one. But I've done Tucson to London. Not conducive to a tight jam. Fortunately, it was simple "single-ended" VO. ;)

Trackzilla
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey! Where can I get one of those?

Like lots of things I want but can't find, I made my own. It was actually pretty easy to do ;)

Cary B. Cornett
12-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Like lots of things I want but can't find, I made my own. It was actually pretty easy to do ;) "Mad as a hatter, he is!" :rolleyes: :)
Seriously, have you ever considered producing carbon-fiber bowler hats for sale?

Trackzilla
12-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Teehee, you might be surprised how many times that has been asked...or how often I'm referred to as mad ;)

Realistically I don't need 'another hat' as audio & real life combine into more time than is available ATM. Other considerations are, these hats are not adjustable...not even a little, so getting a good fit on random customers would be tricky. I foresee lots of returns for fit adjustment, which would usually be a remake. Besides...this way I'm extra cool by being unique :cool:

Cary B. Cornett
12-21-2010, 04:19 AM
Teehee, you might be surprised how many times that has been asked...or how often I'm referred to as mad ;)

Realistically I don't need 'another hat' as audio & real life combine into more time than is available ATM. Other considerations are, these hats are not adjustable...not even a little, so getting a good fit on random customers would be tricky. I foresee lots of returns for fit adjustment, which would usually be a remake. Besides...this way I'm extra cool by being unique :cool: How about posting a DIY webpage on the hat, then?

kylesoundman
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM
This would be great for collaborating with people over the net!