PDA

View Full Version : So I Bought MWS, What the Heck Do I Do With It?

Craig Allen
02-04-2005, 01:57 PM
MIDI is something I've never gotten into in, but have always wanted to. So I went ahead and bought MWS and I need some advice. I've seen some suggestions for VSTi's posted here, but searching for them seems to be difficult. What would you suggest as far as VSTi's go (preferably free) that would make learning the environment? Thanks for any suggestions.

SoundSuite
02-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Craig,

I use MWS mainly for drum 'stuff', secondly for some piano/synth sounds.

Go here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php
Use the search feature and make sure to specify FREE down at the bottom.

Loopaziod is a good free sample player.
Machine will do the same plus loops.

There are also plenty of other vsti's for piano, synth, etc sounds.

omaru
02-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Hello Craig - if you're fair dinkum about getting into midi, I'd suggest purchasing Hypercanvas. This will handle a very full midi file in General Midi (GM) format.

This means one instance of Hypercanvas will play all 16 midi channels at once.When you've got the general idea of how all this works, then you could add one of the free VSTi's to take over a channel where you want a sound that Hypercanvas can't provide.

I use midi to put together backing tracks (as MP3's) for our duo work.
Generally, I'll start with Hypercanvas, then use EXSP24 for playing a bass sound I like, and RM4 or Battery to take care of drums.

Have fun

omaru

Mountain Media
02-04-2005, 04:18 PM
MIDI is something I've never gotten into in, but have always wanted to. So I went ahead and bought MWS and I need some advice. I've seen some suggestions for VSTi's posted here, but searching for them seems to be difficult. What would you suggest as far as VSTi's go (preferably free) that would make learning the environment? Thanks for any suggestions.Hey, Craig - you're probably WAY past this, but if not --

if you have built-in audio (like on your Toshiba laptop) it probably has a built-in generic synth. If you are REALLY just starting into midi, select this internal synth as an output device in MWS and then run through Bob's tutorial that is explained in the MWS help. It gives you a little idea of what's available in the MWS, and is pretty good at giving you a 'feeling' of making something work. :)

tomasino
02-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Craig,
Do have any Midi hardware devices?
Drum module, synth/keyboard, Tickler :eek:?

I think the keyboard is probably the best most empirical place to start.
The Tickler is the most fun :D!!

If you've ever worked on any other computer interface, just approach Midi the same way. Its just another technical tweak, n' you've already done A LOT of that!!

mghtx
02-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I've only recently begun to get into MIDI and have found that I like it a LOT. At the moment I'm using some other programs that I already have to learn and teach myself on.

But I have the MWS demo that I'm gonna try this weekend. As well as tons of free stuff I've got but never tried until now. I really am amazed at what can be done.

Jay Q
02-04-2005, 06:40 PM
if you're fair dinkum...Whoa... You've just taken me back about 20 years, Dennis. Last time I heard that perplexing phrase was on the old Paul Hogan commercials. "Fair dinkum" may be in English, but to us non-Aussies, it may as well be Greek. I remember imitating Hogan on that commercial and saying "a fair deekum holiday" cuz I had no clue what he was saying (finally found out). Thanks for the memory. :)

Jay

Craig Allen
02-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Craig,

I use MWS mainly for drum 'stuff', secondly for some piano/synth sounds.

Go here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php
Use the search feature and make sure to specify FREE down at the bottom.
Yeah, I thought about doing this, I just didn't want to have to wade through 100 different VSTi's to find something stable and compatable.

Loopaziod is a good free sample player.
Machine will do the same plus loops.
I will find these and check them out.

Hello Craig - if you're fair dinkum about getting into midi, I'd suggest purchasing Hypercanvas. This will handle a very full midi file in General Midi (GM) format.
I will look into this as well.

Hey, Craig - you're probably WAY past this, but if not --

if you have built-in audio (like on your Toshiba laptop) it probably has a built-in generic synth. If you are REALLY just starting into midi, select this internal synth as an output device in MWS and then run through Bob's tutorial that is explained in the MWS help. It gives you a little idea of what's available in the MWS, and is pretty good at giving you a 'feeling' of making something work.
That's a good idea, actually. At least for learning the interface. I didn't realize there was a tutorial in the help file - I haven't even installed it yet.

Do have any Midi hardware devices?
Drum module, synth/keyboard, Tickler ?
No, no MIDI hardware whatsoever (beside a Behringer control surface). I'm probably going to get some sort of keyboard controller, but I think I'm going to try to keep everything virtual.

Thanks for the suggestions - I guess I have my weekend cut out for me...

kent
02-04-2005, 11:40 PM
As fair dinkum is one of the most fair dinkum Australian expressions, I can not really claim to ever using it in a fair dinkum way.

Let's get fair dinkum and keep the language that's ours ours. I'd rather be described as a Pommy who left his mark and became a fair dinkum Australian.

Hehe,
Kent

mghtx
02-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I use a FATAR Studio 900 keyboard controller that has 88 weighted keys. It's awesome but takes up space in my room. I'd like to get something smaller in the future.

But having that full size keyboard is great for when doing piano or similar playing.

Craig Allen
02-05-2005, 10:21 AM
My lead guitarist has a Kurzweil 88 key keyboard that I could borrow - I'm looking for something a little smaller for most projects.

mghtx
02-05-2005, 12:49 PM
A smaller keyboard is great when you just want to do drums and sounds. That's why I want one. That and because I have to move the big one from one room to another to use it. :D