PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to Full

hififrey
12-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi all,
Wanted to share with you my first session I used Saw full on. I kinda miss Saw radio. Recorded and mixed with Sawstudio.
Peter Ward - Bass
Cory Frey - Drums <me>
Marty Keil - Sax and keys
http://kompoz.com/p/4711

Cary B. Cornett
12-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Not bad, although the center is a bit crowded. I would have panned the guitar a bit to one side, and the sax a bit to the other side. After all, live on stage they would not both have been in the center at the same time, and I have noticed at least a few Jazz recordings with different solo instruments panned to different locations. IMHO, the drums should not be the only thing that sounds like it is in stereo (too many recordings I hear do this). The drums definitely sound good, BTW, not complaining about that. :cool:

UpTilDawn
12-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Nice recording, although as Cary suggests, the center is crowded.
But I hear this more as a "too many stereo instruments" problem, where the guitar and "sax" are both recorded in stereo... and sound good as such when they play alone, but become congested in the center when playing at the same time and the stereo effect becomes masked.

It can be tough to keep the pleasing sound created by a stereo instrument, while carving out space for it to exist in the mix at the same time.

Kind of a Chick Corea/Dave Weckl sort of groove... I like that. :)

hififrey
12-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for listening! It means a great deal to me.