PDA

View Full Version : Sawstudio and Mackie 1640i

demodoc
12-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I want to buy a new Mackie 1640i to replace my 12 year old 1604 VLZ Pro for live recording. Having used the old 1640, I am already sold on the sound and features set. Mackie claims this mixer will work with virtually any "major" DAW out there via its firewire ports, eliminating the need for an external multitrack interface. Of course, they don't mention SAWstudio...so, Bob, can I assume that it will work with SAW? Hope so, this would make my life easier for sure!:D

Thanks!

demodoc
12-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Apparently, it will work just fine. I found a thread on Mackie's forum where some SAW user was confused because he thought SAW was only seeing the odd numbered channels of the 1640i. Of course, we all know SAW sees the input/output devices in pairs, at least in the ASIO driver mode. In his screenshots it just showed up as ASIO 1, 3, 5 etc.

Bob L
12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
It should work in ASIO mode... of course how well will depend on how well the drivers are written.

Bob L

demodoc
12-23-2010, 11:36 PM
As long as I can get all 16 tracks into SAW successfully, I will be happy. This will be a dedicated mixer at a particular studio for live recording only...never any overdubs, just live...and then I'll mix in the box as I have been for years. Currently, I use a Focusrite Pro 40 with a Behringer ADA 8000 for tracks 9-16...works perfectly. But this will allow me to leave that set up at one location I commonly record at and this will be at another. I just take my laptop from place to place. I must say I do like the ability to bring the DAW's tracks back up on the mixer for an analog mix if you want it!

Thanks, Bob:o

Grekim
12-24-2010, 05:39 AM
I have a client that uses the Mackie with Logic/MacBookPro and sometimes the computer (or maybe the DAW) sees it and sometimes it doesn't. But it very well could be user error. I'll try to find out more.

DominicPerry
12-24-2010, 07:26 AM
If you do a search (here on this forum) for Onyx, you'll find my comments (many times) about Mackie's ability and willingness to write drivers for their users. Very poor, at least historically. Search their forums (Mackie's) thoroughly and check how many versions of the drivers they've produced since this mixer came out. When I last checked, it was still v1.0.0 - typical Mackie.

Dominic

demodoc
12-24-2010, 11:23 AM
This is a new model 1640i as opposed to the original Onyx 1640. The firewire features are integrated into the console rather than an add on card like the old one. (hense the "i") So this may very well be a new ASIO driver. I have heard about Mackie's past history with old Onyx mixers, yes. As I said, if it just gets 16 tracks into SAW successfully, I'll be happy.

Tom Roberts
12-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Can you also get tracks OUT into faders simultaneously?

Thomas

demodoc
12-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Not sure what you mean. According to what I've read on Mackie's site, you can playback your tracks from your DAW and have them appear on the Mackie faders to do an analog mix. During the recording process the faders on the Mackie are doing your live mix in the moment. And that live mix can be routed into your DAW as well.