PDA

View Full Version : Speakers out of phase?

Nathan Parrow
12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I have been "burning in" my new SAC rig this week, and noticed that something didn't sound quite right. I am using my home theater computer as the the playback source, and I ran some pink noise tests from it. It sounded like my speakers were out of phase, so I have checked all of my wiring, but everything is correct. If I bypass the SAC rig and connect the HT outputs directly to the amp, things are back in phase. Any ideas?

Bill Park
12-26-2010, 05:44 PM
could the phase sound be coming from two instances of the audio reaching the amp? For example, from an RME card with TotalMix it is possible to send the input directly to the output, then have a second instance of the audio coming to the outputs a fraction of a second later, due to the trip through SAC.

Nathan Parrow
12-26-2010, 05:51 PM
could the phase sound be coming from two instances of the audio reaching the amp? For example, from an RME card with TotalMix it is possible to send the input directly to the output, then have a second instance of the audio coming to the outputs a fraction of a second later, due to the trip through SAC.

It's possible! I am still struggling to figure out the totalmix software! It just doesn't make any sense to me. Do I need to turn off everything on the matrix? It is still set up like it installed, I think. It has A1 to Out1 and A2 to Out2 etc.

Leadfoot
12-26-2010, 05:54 PM
We just addressed this in a thread like yesterday.. make sure all the top row (input monitoring) are muted. It should be preset #1, but if you mess with it, it could have changed. That will definitely give you out of phase comb filtering sound. If you turn off sac, and you still have sound, it's totalmix. I wouldn't touch anything in that matrix, it will change the universes time continuum, and never get it back.

Nathan Parrow
12-26-2010, 06:02 PM
We just addressed this in a thread like yesterday.. make sure all the top row (input monitoring) are muted. It should be preset #1, but if you mess with it, it could have changed. That will definitely give you out of phase comb filtering sound. If you turn off sac, and you still have sound, it's totalmix. I wouldn't touch anything in that matrix, it will change the universes time continuum, and never get it back.

Thanks, I clicked preset 1 and that fixed it! It is not showing anything muted on the top row , but all the faders on the top row are pulled down. all but out33 and out 34 on the second row are pulled down and all of the third row is at 0.0

Bill Park
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
TotalMix is a handy tool but you need to learn it, or set it and forget it. Most people can set it up once and never mess with it again if they fear it. I think it makes sense to learn it.

Cary B. Cornett
12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
TotalMix is a handy tool but you need to learn it, or set it and forget it. Most people can set it up once and never mess with it again if they fear it. I think it makes sense to learn it. I agree. I found TotalMix useful mainly for two things:
1) when I needed lower latency input monitoring than I could get through SAW, and
2) when I wanted to run certain hardware tests without running SAW or SAC.

Once you understand it, it is quick and easy to use, and very reliable.