PDA

View Full Version : Nasty bug using large screen resolution & midi workshop

Arno Jordan
01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I use Saw on a system with a multimonitor setup ( 4 21" tft´s rotated 90' gives me 1200x1600 = 4800x1600 screen size ) graphiccard is a matrox Qid LP Pci.

Midi Workshop crashes if i resize its window to a size bigger than 2400 points horizontal. The title of the mws main window fills with weird symbols, looks like a buffer overflow to me.
After such a resize Saw crashes frequently. All edl´s saved after a resize cause saw to crash too after reloading them.
Took me some month of sheer desperation to figure out the reason for this.

happy new year everybody

Arno Jordan

Bob L
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Never attempted anything like that... but if SAWStudio itself can size that big... I would think MWS should also... the basic internal display code is very much the same.

Well... not sure how I can set that up to even test it to try to track down if it is something in the code to fix... I guess for now... you will have to keep MWS only spread across two monitors.

I would probably keep on one only anyway and keep it out of the way of everything else.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
I just tried something similar here. I'm running three monitors across 2 QuadroNVS290 cards. 1600x1200, 1920x1200, 1600x1200, left to right.

I started SAWStudio and left it on the center monitor. No EDL file, no mix template.

Activated Midi Workshop and stretched the MWS background window to fill all three monitors. (heard some hard drive activity but so far no issues)

I then stretched the MWS main window across all monitors (no filling yet) and at first it seemed fine. I then stretched the edges to the edges of the monitors (left/right) and SAWStudio crashed (would you like to send error report msg) just as I released the mouse button.

Bob L
01-03-2011, 02:42 AM
See if drwatson created a log file and send that.

Run Drwtsn32.exe... look for the log file destination setting... look there to see if a file was created and updated at the time of the crash.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
01-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Logfile sent via email.

Bob L
01-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Does SAWStudio crash if you stretch it across all three in the same manner... without the MWS onscreen... the bitbly routines are exactly the same and it is not making sense that one would be fine and the other not.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Does SAWStudio crash if you stretch it across all three in the same manner... without the MWS onscreen...No, it doesn't for me. I tried stretching the Z mixer and MT windows, both with the background stretched and not stretched to full width.

Bob L
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
so... now the mystery gets more complicated...

Bob L

Arno Jordan
01-04-2011, 02:36 AM
The crash only happens when mws is involved. I***180;ve been working with Saw at 4800x1600 for more than a year now,
working flawlessly as usual.
(If you have ever worked in a resolution like this i bet you won***180;t like to go back to a single monitor setup anymore.)

Would it help if i send you an edl that immediately crashes saw & mws when i open it and press play ?
best regards
Arno

Bob L
01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Not really... I will need to setup a system with this kind of resolution, so I could re-create the crash.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Not really... I will need to setup a system with this kind of resolution, so I could re-create the crash.I wonder if you could simulate this type of setup on one of your ATI-based machines, using their virtual desktop feature?

Bob L
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
That's a worth while idea... I'll look into it.

Bob L

JLepore
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Out of curiosity, are your 4 monitors arranged (from Windows perspective) Left to right, exactly even in height? In other words the "primary" monitor is the left most, and there is no vertical offset in any of them in the Display Properties page?

If so, everything would just look like one big surface. If not, there is the probability of getting negative screen coordinated returned.

Using any of the virtual desktop products can simulate the same thing as non-visible desktops are just negative coordinates on the display.

Naturally Digital
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Out of curiosity, are your 4 monitors arranged (from Windows perspective) Left to right, exactly even in height? In other words the "primary" monitor is the left most, and there is no vertical offset in any of them in the Display Properties page?That's a good question! Thanks for the reminder as this may prove relevant.

Yes, FWIW mine are arranged 2-1-3. All have 1200 pix vert rez.

The reason for keeping "1" in the middle is that's my main monitor and I want the taskbar on it.

In my case I am not using a 'spanned' mode. I'm using them as 3 independent monitors. IOW my taskbar is only visible on the primary (center) monitor #1.

Keep in mind however that SAW doesn't seem to have a problem with this arrangement.

JLepore
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
That could be significant. So in your configuration, your screen coordinates would appear as: H (-1600 to 3520) V (0 - 1200) for a total screen size of 5120 x 1200.

I've run into bugs from that kind of stuff before (especially remembering if your in Screen, Client, or MDI Frame mapping.

You might be able to duplicate this with just two monitors by making your right monitor the primary and the left the secondary. I don't have MWS, so I can't test it here.

Arno Jordan
01-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Out of curiosity, are your 4 monitors arranged (from Windows perspective) Left to right, exactly even in height? In other words the "primary" monitor is the left most, and there is no vertical offset in any of them in the Display Properties page?

My first monitor (the one where i can see the bios boot screen) is the first one also in windows (xp pro) and sits on the left, the others are configured as 2,3 and 4 from left to right. I use 1600x1200 panels tilted 90 degrees to the right so i have 4800 horizontal and 1600 vertical. And i am experiencing the problems with mws too.

Sacred Sounds Ton & Masteringstudio
Arno Jordan