PDA

View Full Version : Build mix to FX abort bug

Cary B. Cornett
01-05-2011, 06:02 AM
I found this problem along with the CSG problem mentioned elsewhere. I originally thought that it was part of the other problem (failure to create .cue file), but when I tested with another "known good" EDL I found this problem even when the other problem was not present.

Build mix to FX
CSG "disc" window opens
click on "generate .cue file only (no audio files).
file is generated normally
build mix progress window open and running, so I hit ESC to abort.

After this, I cannot start playback in SS. I can use CSG to navigate to any cue point, but cannot start playback.

The only way to clear this is to close and restart SS.

I do not know whether this is a bug in SS or CSG.

UpTilDawn
01-05-2011, 07:25 AM
I found this problem along with the CSG problem mentioned elsewhere. I originally thought that it was part of the other problem (failure to create .cue file), but when I tested with another "known good" EDL I found this problem even when the other problem was not present.

Build mix to FX
CSG "disc" window opens
click on "generate .cue file only (no audio files).
file is generated normally
build mix progress window open and running, so I hit ESC to abort.

After this, I cannot start playback in SS. I can use CSG to navigate to any cue point, but cannot start playback.

The only way to clear this is to close and restart SS.

I do not know whether this is a bug in SS or CSG.

This is really interesting, Cary.

Not only does this happen the way you describe, but it also happens in every instance that I run this process whether or not I choose to cancel the operation. :eek:
All other operations, except anything to do with PLAY, appear to work normally in SAW after the CSG operation, including Save, F-keys, adding and clearing new regions.... I only tried 5-6 things.... PLAY will not work at all and SAW must be shut down. Loading a new session, or session from the recent list will not play either until SAW is shut down and re-started.

I never realized before that when performing a Buildmix to FX, SAW immediately opens the buildmix progress bar behind the CSG box that pops up. It never occurred to me to move the CSG window and I autohide my Windows task bar, so I never noticed the buildmix progress bar added to it either. (This goes a long way to explaining why I've always been puzzled at having to stop SAW from building the mix even after having just canceld the CSG operation from the CSG Disc Settings box.... as in, having decided not to build a mix afterall...)

When choosing to "Generate CUE File now (no audio files)" in the CSG dialog box, it appears to make no difference how you choose your settings in CSG either... ie. one large .wav file vs. one .wav file per track, for instance.

However, calling up the buildmix to FX process in SAW, which opens the CSG Disc Settings box (as expected) and NOT pressing the "Generate CUE File now (no audio files)" button, allows all normal functioning in SAW, regardless of whether or not you choose to continue or cancel the operation, including PLAY.

I think I've never noticed this "bug" before because I never choose the "Generate CUE File now (no audio files)" button, but always simply accept (OK), or cancel the operation when the Disc Settings Dialog comes up on the screen.

Out of curiosity, I just tried every other choice available with CSG and found the same problem exists...

The ONLY CSG operations that leave SAW with normal play operation at the conclusion are those that do not include pressing the "Generate CUE File now (no audio files)" , the "Load" button, or the "Save" button.

Very strange.... the "bug" appears to be coming from CSG in my mind.

Although, I'm annoyed by the fact that SAW starts the "buildmix" after closing CSG, regardless of choosing to Cancel from the CSG dialog box. I think the SAW buildmix operation should also cancel automatically when cancelling CSG, but that should be another discussion.