PDA

View Full Version : FA Bug?

bcorkery
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I was playing around with the FA and was surprised when I saw a spike at 21969 so I put that freq in listen mode and most of the sound was coming through. :confused:

This was on my office, not studio machine, running through the on-board Realtek card with Standard Multimedia drivers but I thought I should post this so Bob could have a look. I've posted a screen shot.

I was playing back a simple VO on track 1.

bcorkery
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Here's the setting:
See if you get the same results.

Thanks.

UpTilDawn
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Here's the setting:
See if you get the same results.

Thanks.

I get "Improper Preset Format" when I try to load the preset file.
I have no idea if it's a problem at my end or with the file you attached here.
Other FA presets load just fine.

For what it's worth..... I've never seen anything like what you've posted. :confused:

bcorkery
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Hmm, maybe something happened when I zipped it up. The .frq extension isn't an acceptable format to upload. Maybe I'll have to email it to Bob.

Bob L
01-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Was there actual audio sound when you listened to that band?

Could it be accurately showing some kind of rf oscillation happening on the soundcard?

Bob L

bcorkery
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, almost the whole band, maybe a little of the lower frequencies were missing. Here's (http://www.bcproductions.com/files/FA/) a link to the file.

I'll drag it into the studio and see what happens there.

Chris Kress
01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
So you are hearing 22k? I have seen some strange things with noise shaping dither.. especially when done repeatedly. And why not try to reproduce this anomoly. The best way to demonstrate a problem is to be able to recreate it..

UpTilDawn
01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes, almost the whole band, maybe a little of the lower frequencies were missing. Here's (http://www.bcproductions.com/files/FA/) a link to the file.

I'll drag it into the studio and see what happens there.

Still getting the same message when attempting to load the preset.

Maybe that's a clue?

bcorkery
01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
My office computer doesn't have any of the tweaks, so I thought it might have caused this error message but I loaded the setting onto a flash drive and into the studio computer and get the same results with no error message. The FA version is 1.8.

Is anybody else getting the error message?

bcorkery
01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
So you are hearing 22k? I have seen some strange things with noise shaping dither.. especially when done repeatedly. And why not try to reproduce this anomoly. The best way to demonstrate a problem is to be able to recreate it..No dither and the saved setting produces the same anomaly in a different edl on the studio machine. :confused:

UpTilDawn
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
My office computer doesn't have any of the tweaks, so I thought it might have caused this error message but I loaded the setting onto a flash drive and into the studio computer and get the same results with no error message. The FA version is 1.8.

Is anybody else getting the error message?

Okay....... solved the problem I had with loading the preset. I was using a very old version of FA... 1.5 :o (I'd updated Full, but not Lite evidently, for a long time)...

At any rate, I tried the preset with 1.8 as you suggested and I get the same thing as you. I also tried it in 1.9 and got the same problem.

There is one thing I noticed that might make some sense to somebody (I'm really tired right now and not thinking real clear). I duplicated the settings you have in your preset after resetting the FA and noticed that the freq. bands normally shown around that area are: 2012, 2132 (the band with your problem), 2260. However, I can bump those bands forward into that 20k range by shifting the center freq (double-clicking one of the upper bands a couple times, shifting the entire range to the right). Doing this exposes that single high band just like it does in your preset (except mine is at 21933 and yours is at 21969)..... I don't understand what's up with that unless you purposely readjusted the center band for your preset and like I said, I'm not thinking clearly, so I'm not much help beyond confirming that this appears to be a problem with FA.

The problem exists no matter what version of FA I use....... all the way from 1.4 through 1.9.

I did just notice a couple other things while working with a fresh slate (no preset).

1-The phenom. appears to be linked to the H - Zoom... and only with settings of 5,7 & 8

2- Setting the H-Zoom, then adjusting the center freq to expose bands above 20k will show this one problem band.

3- Adjusting the center freq, then adjusting the H-Zoom does NOT produce this problem effect..... Not so sure about this...

4- Bob's own presets exhibit this phenom as well, but they're not predictable at all (as well as the particular H setting chosen)..... sometimes some combinations of adjusting the center band and the H-Zoom produce the effect, other times they don't.

5- However, your preset always exhibits this problem band.

I'm really tired... gotta quit now.

Hope this helps.

bcorkery
01-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks for verifying this. Yes, I noticed that moving the H Zoom to 4 it seems to go away. Oh, and I'd better load the latest FA too.

What? You're going to bed already ... it's not dawn yet! :)

Bob verified that there's something wonky going on in there and he's having a look at it.

UpTilDawn
01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for verifying this. Yes, I noticed that moving the H Zoom to 4 it seems to go away. Oh, and I'd better load the latest FA too.

What? You're going to bed already ... it's not dawn yet! :)

Bob verified that there's something wonky going on in there and he's having a look at it.

I got a second wind after basking in front of the rejuvination screen for an hour (who said too much tv is bad for you! ;) ) ... so I was good till at least 3am in the end. That's close enough. :p

How'd you even discover this FA quirk anyway?? I thought that was Dave's job! :rolleyes:

bcorkery
01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Didn't mean to step on Dave's toes but I was reading the manual and playing around with it to look for stuff I don't use a lot or have forgotten about.

Bob packs so much stuff into his programs, I find myself doing that during slow periods. This forum sheds light in those areas too.

studio-c
01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Hey Bill, we could have a Boble study group on Tuesday nights. :)

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
we could have a Boble study group on Tuesday nights. :) :) :p :D