PDA

View Full Version : the simplest way?

PaulH
02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi,
I'm new to all this and sawstudio looks interesting.

what i want to do: record a CD for children with acoustic guitar, vocals, light percussion, bass, a lead instrument or two. i don't want to spend loads of money on stuff i may not know how to use. today i looked at cubase system 4, but when i read the reviews, it didn't get good ones. i liked the idea of a simple gizmo that has two mic pres and simple software though.

equipment I have: a toshiba laptop satellite 1805-S207 (1.1ghz with 256 Ram upgradable to 1gig i think. i have USB 1, and pcmcia slot i can insert a USB 2 thing -- i'm real technical here!) and I also have a 250gig external hardrive i can connect with USB 1 or 2.

if i used SAWbasic to get tracks and I mastered/mixed somewhere else, what other stuff would i need to get up and running? i could live with two channels of mic pres to start. i would build this with my acoustic guitar and adding stuff as I went along. a friend said I might do well with two studio projects c1 mics as a base.

Those two mics would cost $400. what else would I need? I want to start real simple and sane (technical and price wise). Saw basic is $300. I would love to keep the price to about $1,500 or so. is this possible? I know this is sawstudio forum, but i'm open to all suggestions.

Can someone guide me through this? i guess you can reply to this thread or e-mail me at phelou@aol.com

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
PAUL

this is what Bob recommended:

I use an RME Hammerfall DSP cardbus
(PCMCIA slot)... it has 24 i/o... you might not need that much but its
nice to know its there... I then use RME's Digiface box (3 ADAT
lightpipes for the 24 chans) and 3 Behringer ADA8000 converters...
these are awesome... only $230 US dollars and each has 8 mic pres with
phantom power and 8 line ins and outs to ADAT lightpipe... I just
finished a gig where we dropped 35 channels live into two laptops
running SAWStudio linked together with TCP/IP network cable and the
Master/Slave feature... an awesome way to work :)

AudioAstronomer
02-08-2005, 08:16 PM
hi There paul, Im sorry I missed your post.

It sounds like if you upgrade your ram you'll be set to go pretty well.

As for mics, an sm57 or two and an at4040 and you can make some amazing recordings, youll suprise yourself!

For an interface there are lots of options, Im not in the mood actually type right now... if you want to call you can get my ## on the saw VIP affiliates page I much prefer the telephone as opposed to the forums (Im a sarcastic guy, just doesnt work well online :)) I just built a full system for someone, computer, saw, interface, mics, AND speakers for 1500$ flat and I can send some MP3's of work he did with it if you want. Really amazing stuff!

Have a good day Paul!

Hi,
I'm new to all this and sawstudio looks interesting.

what i want to do: record a CD for children with acoustic guitar, vocals, light percussion, bass, a lead instrument or two. i don't want to spend loads of money on stuff i may not know how to use. today i looked at cubase system 4, but when i read the reviews, it didn't get good ones. i liked the idea of a simple gizmo that has two mic pres and simple software though.

equipment I have: a toshiba laptop satellite 1805-S207 (1.1ghz with 256 Ram upgradable to 1gig i think. i have USB 1, and pcmcia slot i can insert a USB 2 thing -- i'm real technical here!) and I also have a 250gig external hardrive i can connect with USB 1 or 2.

if i used SAWbasic to get tracks and I mastered/mixed somewhere else, what other stuff would i need to get up and running? i could live with two channels of mic pres to start. i would build this with my acoustic guitar and adding stuff as I went along. a friend said I might do well with two studio projects c1 mics as a base.

Those two mics would cost $400. what else would I need? I want to start real simple and sane (technical and price wise). Saw basic is $300. I would love to keep the price to about $1,500 or so. is this possible? I know this is sawstudio forum, but i'm open to all suggestions.

Can someone guide me through this? i guess you can reply to this thread or e-mail me at phelou@aol.com

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
PAUL

this is what Bob recommended:

I use an RME Hammerfall DSP cardbus
(PCMCIA slot)... it has 24 i/o... you might not need that much but its
nice to know its there... I then use RME's Digiface box (3 ADAT
lightpipes for the 24 chans) and 3 Behringer ADA8000 converters...
these are awesome... only $230 US dollars and each has 8 mic pres with
phantom power and 8 line ins and outs to ADAT lightpipe... I just
finished a gig where we dropped 35 channels live into two laptops
running SAWStudio linked together with TCP/IP network cable and the
Master/Slave feature... an awesome way to work :)