PDA

View Full Version : ada 8000 Black lion mod

averombri
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
anyone of you have a ADA8000 Black Lion Audio modified? is it a great difference from original ones, I thinking on send them my 3 ones...is it worthy or not?
thanks

JLepore
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
How much does it cost? (Can't really make a judgement without that!)

averombri
01-11-2011, 02:50 AM
225$+ shipping

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2011, 03:36 AM
If the long-term reliability of the ADA8000 units could be assured, it might be worth considering. I thought about doing something like that at one point, but ended up selling mine and replacing them with Presonus Digimax FS units instead. So far for me the Digimax FS is better behaved, and doesn't heat up as much as the ADA8000 did. The overall quality of the Digimax may well be similar to a Black Lion modded ADA8000, and the cost difference between modding the ADA8000's and replacing them with the Digimax units is probably outweighed by the improved reliability, not to mention the additional features on the Digimax FS.

averombri
01-11-2011, 05:30 AM
I though on Presonus before but I have a 24 channels (3 ADA8K) in a rack and probably the mod is just a little more expensive than a single Presonus unit...that´s the root of my tribulatións...:confused:

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
I though on Presonus before but I have a 24 channels (3 ADA8K) in a rack and probably the mod is just a little more expensive than a single Presonus unit...that´s the root of my tribulatións...:confused: Look up factory refurbished Presonus Digimax FS. I think I paid about $430 each for mine through a vendor I found on eBay. I could not have justified the full "new" price on those, although it is possible that they are worth it (I hate spending more than I have to to get what I am after).
:rolleyes:;)

IraSeigel
01-11-2011, 07:26 AM
As I mentioned previously, I have an Alessis A3 modified by Black Lion. It is definitely an improvement over the stock unit.

However, for the ADA8K, read the mod description carefully. IIRC, I don't believe they touch the power supply, and I know they don't do anything to improve ventilation or heat exchange.

For the additional cost of getting the mod done, you'd do better off following some of the other suggestions here, IMO.

However, I'm considering taking a forum member's suggestion from a while back and getting one of the small BLA wordclocks to, hopefully, improve the sound of some of the digital consoles I'm given at shows.