PDA

View Full Version : How many would petition Celemony..

Chris Kress
01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
This is a poll to see how many would send and e-mail to try to prod the Celemony people into a chat with Bob..... Inspired by this thread http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12885 It may be helpful for non-owners of Melodyn to let them know that you are not purchasing for the reason of incompatability.. Either way, it might be interesting to get a number of people that would be interested in an "uprising". Please check the appropriate poll option.. Maybe I can find a good e-mail address............

EDIT:
I didn't mean that this should be an uprising on Bob. I assumed he would see the total numbers of interested people and then make the call as how to prioritize his work. On the other hand celemony might benefit from being made aware of the "few" but passionate people that would appreciate full functionality.

Naturally Digital
01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
This is a poll to see how many would send and e-mail to try to prod the Celemony people into a chat with Bob..... Inspired by this thread http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12885 It may be helpful for non-owners of Melodyn to let them know that you are not purchasing for the reason of incompatability.. Either way, it might be interesting to get a number of people that would be interested in an "uprising". Please check the appropriate poll option.. Maybe I can find a good e-mail address............FWIW I was planning on buying Melodyne based on positive reviews over the years from people on here. Now that it's broken and there are other options, I'm inclined to buy Izotope's Nectar instead. All I really need is good pitch correction and have no interest in upgrading my 10-year old version of AutoTune that won't install or register anymore. Currently I use GSnap for very basic needs.

Tom Roberts
01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
This is a poll to see how many would send and e-mail to try to prod the Celemony people into a chat with Bob..... Inspired by this thread http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12885 It may be helpful for non-owners of Melodyn to let them know that you are not purchasing for the reason of incompatability.. Either way, it might be interesting to get a number of people that would be interested in an "uprising". Please check the appropriate poll option.. Maybe I can find a good e-mail address............

How's this for a novel idea? Bob can call them up and figure this out if he cares, or if they do. I believe Celemony has already responded to a couple of users that the ball is in Bob's court.

Thomas

Chris Kress
01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
How's this for a novel idea? Bob can call them up and figure this out if he cares, or if they do. I believe Celemony has already responded to a couple of users that the ball is in Bob's court.

Thomas

OK, well let's at least get a head count.

Angie
01-11-2011, 11:33 PM
FWIW I was planning on buying Melodyne based on positive reviews over the years from people on here. Now that it's broken and there are other options, I'm inclined to buy Izotope's Nectar instead.

Yes, they lost a sale with me also.

Jeff Scott
01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I just finished mixing down a vocal track for a client and ended up using the Melodyne plugin in a stand alone application. And that was after I spent all that time Posting my finding on figuring out a workaround for running it as a VST on the track:eek:

It's just easier...at the end of the day to run it as a Stand Alone application.

I would love to have it work flawlessly as a VST. I sent Celemony and email several months ago. Never heard back. You got my vote to move ahead and petition Jorge.,,,,

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I believe Celemony has already responded to a couple of users that the ball is in Bob's court.

Thomas

Not sure how you mean that, but when I emailed them, they simply said they're a small company and couldn't support another app at this time.

Chris Kress
01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
It's just easier...at the end of the day to run it as a Stand Alone application.

For several tracks at once, yes (and that is what I do). It is not bad. But if you only need to tune one track or little parts, it is much more cumbersome to export to the standalone. And the standalone does list for $300 more... I own autotune, waves tune, and melodyn and I am not sure if any of them work in graphic mode in SS... It'd be nice to have something......

Tom Roberts
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Not sure how you mean that, but when I emailed them, they simply said they're a small company and couldn't support another app at this time.

I don't remember who's post I read, but it is still here somewhere because I did a search recently. Someone from Celemony replied that it would be up to Bob to modify his program.

I am only suggesting the ball is in his court to initiate the communication to find out what the problem is. I don't see how a silly petition of a few people who own it and a few who "may", or sending a SAW user to NAMM to ask Celemony what they changed in their code, is going to amount to anything other than more bad will toward Celemony on this forum.

Thomas

EDIT: I searched again and in was in your post. The second line makes it clear to me.

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your email. This is correct. SAW Studio is currently not supported and this won't change in the near future. We are a rather small company and currently we simply do not have the manpower to support another host and take it into beta-cycles, etc. I rather be honest with you about that.

I'm not sure what the actual developer of SAW Studio can do about that, but I would first check what he can do to get Melodyne working in his program.

Richard Rupert
01-12-2011, 11:16 AM
You can read my past attempts to generate a dialog between Jorg and Bob here:
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12667&highlight=melodyne

My point in requesting that NAMM attendees approach Jorg was that I felt a face to face contact certainly is much better than the impersonal e-mail approach. And I had hoped that quite a few SAWStudio users might be going and be willing to talk to him. Numbers matter.

Using Nectar (which I bought BTW) or AutoTune or Waves or any other pitch correcter is no substitute for the polyphonic pitch correction capabilities of the DNA feature of Melodyne.

Tom Roberts
01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
You can read my past attempts to generate a dialog between Jorg and Bob here:
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12667&highlight=melodyne

I understand but I think you say it all in your summary, the first line of your post:

I've had several e-mail communiques with Melodyne and now feel that we're SOL on getting DNA to work in SAW unless Bob somehow figures it out.

These guys need to talk to each other. It may be something really simple. Users trying to convince one or the other to change their code falls on deaf ears.

Thomas.

Richard Rupert
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I understand but I think you say it all in your summary, the first line of your post:

I've had several e-mail communiques with Melodyne and now feel that we're SOL on getting DNA to work in SAW unless Bob somehow figures it out.

These guys need to talk to each other. It may be something really simple. Users trying to convince one or the other to change their code falls on deaf ears.

Thomas.
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the result of their "failure to communicate", I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that if several SAWStudio/Melodyne users were to politely stop by the booth and mention that they'd love to get the plug working, something could happen.

And perhaps someone could further say, "Hey, I've got Bob's cell number right here... what do you say I call him right now?"

I would also hope that if Bob finds himself at NAMM he would stop by and try to initiate a dialog.

My feeling is that if nothing is done, certainly nothing will happen.

And again, I think civility is of utmost importance when talking with Jorg.

Tom Roberts
01-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I would also hope that if Bob finds himself at NAMM he would stop by and try to initiate a dialog.

That's the best solution, but I understand that Bob has a lot on his plate and compatibility with a plug-in only a handful of SAW folks use might not be at the top of his "to-do" list.

I don't have Meleodyne because I spent the dough on Auto-Tune and it gets the job done for me. But I saw a DNA demo live in person a while back and it's pretty darn impressive.

Thomas

Richard Rupert
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
That's the best solution, but I understand that Bob has a lot on his plate and compatibility with a plug-in only a handful of SAW folks use might not be at the top of his "to-do" list.

I don't have Meleodyne because I spent the dough on Auto-Tune and it gets the job done for me. But I saw a DNA demo live in person a while back and it's pretty darn impressive.

Thomas
Bingo! :)

Ollie
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Please state what the problem is.
Does the Melodyne plugin work with Saw? Tell me what the issue is.
Thanks.

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't remember who's post I read, but it is still here somewhere because I did a search recently. Someone from Celemony replied that it would be up to Bob to modify his program.

I am only suggesting the ball is in his court to initiate the communication to find out what the problem is. I don't see how a silly petition of a few people who own it and a few who "may", or sending a SAW user to NAMM to ask Celemony what they changed in their code, is going to amount to anything other than more bad will toward Celemony on this forum.

Thomas

EDIT: I searched again and in was in your post. The second line makes it clear to me.

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your email. This is correct. SAW Studio is currently not supported and this won't change in the near future. We are a rather small company and currently we simply do not have the manpower to support another host and take it into beta-cycles, etc. I rather be honest with you about that.

I'm not sure what the actual developer of SAW Studio can do about that, but I would first check what he can do to get Melodyne working in his program.

I agree. I don't think they're going be be convinced by a few more emails. I imagine they have a handle on the size of the SAW user base already. It's a business decision.

Tom Roberts
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I agree. I don't think they're going be be convinced by a few more emails. I imagine they have a handle on the size of the SAW user base already. It's a business decision.

Right, unless the code guys can get on the phone with each other. It may be something that can be nailed down quickly. But then, what do I know.

Thomas

Richard Rupert
01-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Right, unless the code guys can get on the phone with each other. It may be something that can be nailed down quickly. But then, what do I know.

Thomas
This is exactly the point. The question is: how do we make that happen? (And perhaps we can't; but we should at least try IMHO). I know Bob's busy and the Melodyne folk are understaffed (or whatever the terminology), but if in a half hour's conversation with each other they determine that the compatibility problem is too great, then we can move on. Until then, there remains some hope that the plug in could be made to work in SAW.

Jeff Scott
01-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Please state what the problem is.
Does the Melodyne plugin work with Saw? Tell me what the issue is.
Thanks.

Ollie: the plugin "works"...sort of. The problem is that when using it as a VST in SAW....you cannot instantly hear your edits. You have to re-open the session you are working on to hear the edited / pitch corrected track. That's a pain. I and many others use Melodyne in a standalone application, importing and exporting the track as required. It works great,
but you cannot audition the edited track against the backing tracks.

I just "transformed" a very pitch challenged client into a pretty passable singer using Melodyne. He's very happy...I'm happy (read: got paid);)

It'd be nice to have it work as a VST that's all.

AudioAstronomer
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Where is the poll option for "No, if they don't want my money, I'm not going to go out of my way to give it to them."

ffarrell
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
:D

Where is the poll option for "No, if they don't want my money, I'm not going to go out of my way to give it to them."

MikeDee
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM

You have to re-open the session you are working on to hear the edited / pitch corrected track.

...Unfortunately this is something I cannot do on my system. When I attempt to reopen the edl (with Melodyne patched in), SS crashes. :(

Funny, though...I used to be able to hear my pitch edits on the fly...heh, go figure. :confused:

Ian Alexander
01-13-2011, 11:23 AM
+1 :)

Tim Miskimon
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Thomas

Dear Dave,

My older version of Melodyne works fine in all versions of Saw Studio but the new version of Melodyne doesn't.
That tells me that Celemony did something in the new software that broke something that worked in the past - so I don't think the problem falls in Bob's software.
You would think that they would at least take a look at the problem considering that Melodyne worked in Saw before they changed their programing.
What ever the cause they've lost me as a customer until (if ever) they fix it.
They suggested that they are a small company - well most small companies only grow their business when they consider their buyer base.
If they don't care about long time customers then most of us will just find another option.
Personally I don't consider it to be a very good business policy to avoid or ignore a customer's request.
Knowing Bob's past record on these types of issues I'm sure he'd be happy to talk with Celemony about this issue - he's done this sort of thing in the past with several hardware & software companies - most often resulting in a fix or work-a-round.

Angie
01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
I totally agree with Tim. The ball is in their court. They are the ones losing the sales. You'd think they'd care about that.

Carey Langille
01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
You would think that if people really cared, they would VOTE at least.. over 490 reads and only 25 votes.... Support??? everything is a 2 way street.. This is not Ping Pong....

905shmick
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
You would think that if people really cared, they would VOTE at least.. over 490 reads and only 25 votes.... Support??? everything is a 2 way street.. This is not Ping Pong....

I am one of the readers and am indifferent, so I didn't want to vote just for the sake of voting, cuz I didn't want to skew the results.

Carey Langille
01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
OH You should definatly read it...! And not vote if you dont care, Im just sayin, Not many people seem to care about it, so why should anyone fix it... Celemony or RML Labs... No one will make any money off 25 people, so theres no incentive to spend time on it.. Thats all im sayin...

Angie
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Good point, Carey. OK I voted. I would consider purchasing. I was very interested before. Now, it might be harder for me hand the money over to them.

Perry
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Hmmmm.... well, just read through the whole thread. I've been using Melodyne for years but hadn't updated to the new version yet... maybe good that I didn't? I'm at least happy to have gotten the info on the forum here, didn't know it was broken for us... pooh! :(

Keeping up with all these software changes is a nightmare for me even.... I can't imagine how it is for Bob. And, unfortunately, I think we have to expect that there are going to be times when it's simply not possible to keep *everything* talking to us. This seems to be one of those times. Maybe in another 'update' from Celemony they will 'accidently' fix this for us? ... sure hope so!

Well.... the version I have still works great so that's a good thing! :)

Errr... PS! I own the earlier version but not the newer one... so how should I vote?

Perry
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
And I want to respond to the original thread as well!

It is interesting that they would have really about a dozen or so DAWs to support all in all... and that is too much for them... yet... I am a one man company and it's ok to imagine that it is my obligation to support thousands and thousands of different VST plugins... each with many different interpretations on the VST spec. :confused:

A simple conversation might be all it would take to find out what changed in their new product that broke what used to work fine in SAWStudio... my code did not change.

Bob L

Right on Bob! You do an incredible job of keeping up with all of this... and I think you are correct... and certainly fair.. in your assessment. Celemony should certainly be able to have a look at 'one more' Daw in order to satisfy and help their existing client base (us in this case) as well as instilling confidence in potential new users of Melodyne.

And in this regards, I'm having to take the stance that they don't truly care enough about us.... and though it might not prevent me from upgrading Melodyne, it certainly gives me pause to think about where I will ultimately pass along my hard earned coin!

Thanks Bob for all your truly excellent work! On a side note I was mixing some stuff here in the Nashville area recently and the producer was down right enthralled with what I was doing with SAWStudio and commented several times about it in very positive ways!

Cheers!
Perry

Richard Rupert
01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
While I agree with most of what is being said here, I think the one feature in Melodyne that many may be overlooking is DNA. It's a revolutionary tool and available in no other software. If you're not familiar with DNA, here's a link to Celemony's site with an explanation and video: http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna_intro1

The company is certainly not behaving as if they care about us as customers, but who's to benefit if we never get the plug working? Frankly, I bought the program in its infancy for this feature. Had I known that the update would break the plug, I would have just stuck with Antares... but I guess that's obvious. :D

ffarrell
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Have you found it to work as well as the demo's?

I'm not a power user with their products but I had limited success with DNA.

I was trying to fix a horn section with mic bleed all over the place, a hard task for sure.

I also worked on a lady's vocal with a heavy vibrato, read (Dolly) it did ok but not any better then Antares Auto-Tune.

whats your findings?

thanks
fvf

While I agree with most of what is being said here, I think the one feature in Melodyne that many may be overlooking is DNA. It's a revolutionary tool and available in no other software. If you're not familiar with DNA, here's a link to Celemony's site with an explanation and video: http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna_intro1

The company is certainly not behaving as if they care about us as customers, but who's to benefit if we never get the plug working? Frankly, I bought the program in its infancy for this feature. Had I known that the update would break the plug, I would have just stuck with Antares... but I guess that's obvious. :D

Dave Labrecque
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
This is exactly the point. The question is: how do we make that happen? (And perhaps we can't; but we should at least try IMHO). I know Bob's busy and the Melodyne folk are understaffed (or whatever the terminology), but if in a half hour's conversation with each other they determine that the compatibility problem is too great, then we can move on. Until then, there remains some hope that the plug in could be made to work in SAW.

Well, Celemony has made it clear they're not interested in taking the first step. So, I'd think it would be up to Bob. And at this point, I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of the demand -- via the forum. So, I'd guess he's already prioritized it appropriately on his to-do list. Seems like he's got other things that need his attention.

UpTilDawn
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM

+1 again.

I've read through this at least once a day since it was posted and not had a vote to add... should I also stop reading this because my multiple reads skew the numbers of views/to votes?

Ollie
01-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Don't agree with you Dave. I had work on Waves for a while before them and Bob finally had a meeting of the minds. What I am saying, is that I got them to get a solution together. I think the point is that if you want Saw on these people's radar so Bob is informed when there are changes, then you need to keep working on them. I cannot imagine being a harder nut to crack than waves.

Ollie
01-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I contacted them also. We will see what happens. Bear down some pressure on them. I have been a long time customer. Perhaps that will make a difference. Also, Bob cannot be the only Daw company that has any problems with these plugin developers, but apparently they have a way of making it all work.

Richard Rupert
01-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Have you found it to work as well as the demo's?

I'm not a power user with their products but I had limited success with DNA.

I was trying to fix a horn section with mic bleed all over the place, a hard task for sure.

I also worked on a lady's vocal with a heavy vibrato, read (Dolly) it did ok but not any better then Antares Auto-Tune.

whats your findings?

thanks
fvf
The upgrade to DNA (Editor) broke the old version of the plugin, so I don't have any experience with the polyphonic version.

Maybe you had a bad experience with editing the horn section because of all the bleed... did you ever try to edit a piano track or a guitar that was close mic'd? I notice the example they use is a nice clean guitar. But even if you had to have "clean" tracks, that would come in handy for some sessions. You know, like when there is a string out of tune in a solo and you didn't notice it until the session player went home. :eek: Or maybe a trio of bgv singers on a single mic and there was a sour note somewhere in the part... stuff like that.

Dave Labrecque
01-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Don't agree with you Dave. I had work on Waves for a while before them and Bob finally had a meeting of the minds. What I am saying, is that I got them to get a solution together. I think the point is that if you want Saw on these people's radar so Bob is informed when there are changes, then you need to keep working on them. I cannot imagine being a harder nut to crack than waves.

I wish you luck, Ollie.

I just don't think it oughta be such a PITA to get tools that work together. I guess no one does, though. It's not like this is ground-breaking perspective on my part, eh? :o

Chris Kress
01-14-2011, 04:51 AM

EDIT:
I didn't mean that this should be an uprising on Bob. I assumed he would see the total numbers of interested people and then make the call as how to prioritize his work. On the other hand celemony might benefit from being made aware of the "few" but passionate people that would appreciate full functionality.

Tim Miskimon
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Hi Richard,
Yeah the only reason for me wanting to upgrade to the new version of Melodyne was for DNA - otherwise the version I have does all I really need a tuning software to do.
I would have been one of the first buyers since I've been reading about it and watching demos for the past 18 months - but if it doesn't work in Saw Studio there's no use in me wasting my money.

Richard Rupert
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Richard,
Yeah the only reason for me wanting to upgrade to the new version of Melodyne was for DNA - otherwise the version I have does all I really need a tuning software to do.
I would have been one of the first buyers since I've been reading about it and watching demos for the past 18 months - but if it doesn't work in Saw Studio there's no use in me wasting my money.
Yes Tim, if you have to pay for the upgrade and it doesn't work, it certainly wouldn't make sense for you to move. But I bought the program when Celemony was offering a free upgrade path to DNA. And now upgrading breaks the program's integration with SAWStudio. That's why I'd like to see communication between Bob and Jore. It's admittedly self-serving on my part. But the DNA feature is something most of us would find useful, I would think.
Auto Tune is a little easier to use in that you don't need to re-record the file you'd like to tune into a new one; AutoTune can work in real time. But it CAN'T work on polyphonic files.

Tim Miskimon
01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes Tim, if you have to pay for the upgrade and it doesn't work, it certainly wouldn't make sense for you to move. But I bought the program when Celemony was offering a free upgrade path to DNA. And now upgrading breaks the program's integration with SAWStudio. That's why I'd like to see communication between Bob and Jore. It's admittedly self-serving on my part. But the DNA feature is something most of us would find useful, I would think.
Auto Tune is a little easier to use in that you don't need to re-record the file you'd like to tune into a new one; AutoTune can work in real time. But it CAN'T work on polyphonic files.

I've never been a big fan of Autotune - I can always hear it working - Melodyne on the other hand sounds pretty natural to me as long as you don't over do it.
I prefer Melodyne's interface over Autotune - I think editing with Melodyne is much quicker & easier than Autotune.

I agree with you - I wish Jore would make an effort to at least talk with Bob to see if they could find a fix for us.
With the creative minds of those two I can't believe it would take all that much time to find a solution.

ffarrell
01-14-2011, 05:30 PM
It has it's place but just not the "end all" but a good tool to have in my pocket.

BTW I did all my edit's in the program without much trouble.

thanks
fvf

The upgrade to DNA (Editor) broke the old version of the plugin, so I don't have any experience with the polyphonic version.

Maybe you had a bad experience with editing the horn section because of all the bleed... did you ever try to edit a piano track or a guitar that was close mic'd? I notice the example they use is a nice clean guitar. But even if you had to have "clean" tracks, that would come in handy for some sessions. You know, like when there is a string out of tune in a solo and you didn't notice it until the session player went home. :eek: Or maybe a trio of bgv singers on a single mic and there was a sour note somewhere in the part... stuff like that.

Ollie
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Dave,
Celemony returned my email and they said they would try and contact Bob. Hopefully they will. So is everyone having the same issue with Melodyne and would you explain the issue exactly?

I wish you luck, Ollie.

I just don't think it oughta be such a PITA to get tools that work together. I guess no one does, though. It's not like this is ground-breaking perspective on my part, eh? :o

MMP
01-15-2011, 04:57 AM
One thing I have noticed about a few new plugins is that they expect the audio engine to always be on, which is not how SAW works. I think one thing Bob could do is allow us to run SAW this way with a preference switch. I don't think this will fix everything, but some plugins today seemingly won't even initialize correctly without the audio engine on.

Regards,

MM

Cary B. Cornett
01-15-2011, 05:50 AM
One thing I have noticed about a few new plugins is that they expect the audio engine to always be on, which is not how SAW works. I think one thing Bob could do is allow us to run SAW this way with a preference switch. I don't think this will fix everything, but some plugins today seemingly won't even initialize correctly without the audio engine on.

Regards,

MM The problem there is that there are certain things that you cannot do in SAW while the engine is running, such as assign new outputs. So, you would still have to stop the engine, and the plugs that insist on the engine running all the time would probably still have problems as a result.

Dave Labrecque
01-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Dave,
Celemony returned my email and they said they would try and contact Bob. Hopefully they will. So is everyone having the same issue with Melodyne and would you explain the issue exactly?

Cool. Some possible movement. Hope it pans out.

I haven't tried Melodyne in SAW, but others know the skinny...

MikeDee
01-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I saw a glimmer of hope in Bob's post in the 'NAMM attendees' thread....

Apparently, Celemony sent him an NFR to test and see what he can find.

'Tis a start...góòd luck, Bob! :)

<Fingers & toes crossed>

Dave Labrecque
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I saw a glimmer of hope in Bob's post in the 'NAMM attendees' thread....

Apparently, Celemony sent him an NFR to test and see what he can find.

'Tis a start...góòd luck, Bob! :)

<Fingers & toes crossed>

What's an NFR?

MikeDee
01-15-2011, 08:42 PM
What's an NFR?LØL! Same Q was asked in the other thread....

NFR = Not For Resale

Hey, I didn't write it (originally, that is)...I just delivered it. :D

Dave Labrecque
01-15-2011, 11:54 PM
LØL! Same Q was asked in the other thread....

NFR = Not For Resale

Hey, I didn't write it (originally, that is)...I just delivered it. :D

If I'm not mistaken the asker in the other thread spells his name uncannily similarly to mine. ;)

Carey Langille
01-16-2011, 07:03 AM
WOW, were up to well over 1000 people reading this topic, and only 36 votes... If i was the software developer, i wouldnt waste my time... seems to show that the interest is just not there.....:(

905shmick
01-16-2011, 08:29 AM
WOW, were up to well over 1000 people reading this topic, and only 36 votes... If i was the software developer, i wouldnt waste my time... seems to show that the interest is just not there.....:(

Has you learned nothing from politics? Polls don't mean squat :D

TotalSonic
01-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Dunno - depends on how much time the coding takes. Say if they made 36 x $100 on it - and the bug fix took 20 hours - that's still a rate of $180/hour. Which for most of us would be worth it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

UpTilDawn
01-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Come on.... You are aware that many people read any particular thread multiple times, catching up on recent posts.

There's been over 50 posts to date... If the 36 people who voted read this thread 50 times just to see what new posts were saying, that'd be 1800 views by itself. If those same people were curious enough to follow the thread and only read it every other time a new post came up that'd still be 900 of the 1000 views. :rolleyes:

IraSeigel
01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Come on.... You are aware that many people read any particular thread multiple times, catching up on recent posts.

There's been over 50 posts to date... If the 36 people who voted read this thread 50 times just to see what new posts were saying, that'd be 1800 views by itself. If those same people were curious enough to follow the thread and only read it every other time a new post came up that'd still be 900 of the 1000 views. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's 6 people voting multiple times...:confused:

Tom Roberts
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Dunno - depends on how much time the coding takes. Say if they made 36 x $100 on it - and the bug fix took 20 hours - that's still a rate of $180/hour. Which for most of us would be worth it.

There are only 18 people voting who claim they would buy it if it were compatible ... even though they didn't buy the previously pre-update compatible version.

So if half of those actually purchased a license (which is probably a stretch), that would be 9. The math is quite different.

But it's good to see that they made an effort by sending a version to Bob L thanks to the efforts of the end users.

Thomas

Dave Labrecque
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Maybe it's 6 people voting multiple times...:confused:

FWIW... I'm pretty sure it's just me -- viewing the thread repeatedly and voting under multiple identities. You guys are all just voices in my head. Now, shut up!

IraSeigel
01-16-2011, 11:58 AM
FWIW... I'm pretty sure it's just me -- viewing the thread repeatedly and voting under multiple identities. You guys are all just voices in my head. Now, shut up!

Well, with zero latency that's probably not a bad thing...

TotalSonic
01-16-2011, 05:22 PM
There are only 18 people voting who claim they would buy it if it were compatible ... even though they didn't buy the previously pre-update compatible version.

So if half of those actually purchased a license (which is probably a stretch), that would be 9. The math is quite different.

Of course it is. Just checking their webshop the direct pricing for the full "Studio" version is $699. (with a quick Google search showing this available via Sweetwater in for $569). Updates direct started at $149 - upgrades to the full version starting at $199 direct. So - obviously with even a small number of users than I quoted they could in fact make a good bit more that the total I quoted if they actually created a compelling enough product. Of course whether this is all worth it comes down to how much coding time on their part is needed to come up with a fix - but if the bug is quick to find then it would most likely indeed be a rewarding way to spend a day or even a week - and the fix would even be likely to end up benefiting some users of other DAW's besides SAW.

But it's good to see that they made an effort by sending a version to Bob L thanks to the efforts of the end users.

I agree! The squeaky wheel is indeed the one that gets oiled first. ;)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ollie
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Has anyone confirmed that Bob got a copy of Melodyne to check it out? If not, then Bob, did you get a copy and did the celemony crew contact you?

905shmick
01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Has anyone confirmed that Bob got a copy of Melodyne to check it out? If not, then Bob, did you get a copy and did the celemony crew contact you?

Bob stated he did in the "NAMM attendees" thread.

Ollie
01-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey Bob,
Any news on the Melodyne stuff yet?

Bob L
01-31-2011, 03:27 AM
Ok... I have Melodyne Editor Plugin installed... some things look fine that were broken before... for instance the menus display properly now even with the plugin displaying ontop... good...

The Transfer function is a little weird if turned on before playback and does not correctly analise the data when playback is stopped... but if the Transfer button is pushed on and off during playback, the data is correctly transferred... so... that's one issue.

But the main issue is as stated that the pitch changes are not heard when playing back until you save, close and re-open the session... this is the current focus of my conversations with Celemony.

Bob L

Bob L
01-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Ok... Ulf gave me a clue as to the problem of not immediately hearing the pitch changes... it seems that the plugin somehow renders the changes when you make them... therefore it is dependent on the engine being live while the playback is stopped... so... if you allow SAWStudio to go live (I set up a blank chan to a live input) when you make the pitch changes, then you can immediately playback and hear them... when you start playback from Live Mode, SAWStudio automatically toggles back to Live Mode when you stop playback... this then allows you to make changes... listen... then stop to make more changes... Not sure why the plugin works this way... but... this is not a horrible work-around.

Now... I am noticing that the auto-scroll feature which allows the plugin window to chase around to my playback position stops working after a short time... all of a sudden the plugin window remains fixed in position regardless of where I jump in the MT to playback... annoying... I have asked Ulf for clues on this problem.

Bob L

Richard Rupert
01-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Bob,

Thank you VERY MUCH for working on this. I knew you could fix it, and am happy Celemony is finally co-operating. Will be watching your progress closely.

Bob L
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
There was nothing to fix really yet... but understanding what the plugin is expecting has opened up the door for a simple method to allow it work comfortably within the SAWStudio environment.

I heard back from Ulf about the auto-scroll... that problem was really operator malfunction on my part in not understanding all the interface details... if any blob is selected, the auto-scroll feature is disabled... clicking anywhere in the plugin background to de-select all blobs activates the feature again.

So... at least now, the plugin should be able to be used comfortably within SAWStudio and allow you to take advantage of its power and functionality.

Bob L

Jeff Scott
01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Bob this is great. Thank you for figuring this out.

Jeff Scott
01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Just tried it out. Works perfectly..or at least how we would expect it to. I can immediately hear the changes I've done with the plug in. As Bob says...you need to have a Live input. Thanks Bob.

Grekim
01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks Bob! Sounds like a pretty easy workaround.

MikeDee
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok... Ulf gave me a clue as to the problem of not immediately hearing the pitch changes... it seems that the plugin somehow renders the changes when you make them... therefore it is dependent on the engine being live while the playback is stopped... so... if you allow SAWStudio to go live (I set up a blank chan to a live input) when you make the pitch changes, then you can immediately playback and hear them... when you start playback from Live Mode, SAWStudio automatically toggles back to Live Mode when you stop playback... this then allows you to make changes... listen... then stop to make more changes... Not sure why the plugin works this way... but... this is not a horrible work-around.

<snip>Bob LIt appears that my earlier post in a SAWStudio thread has been confirmed.

I'm beginning to think that Melodyne expects the engine to be live at all times...hence, the need for the blank region way down the timeline to give Melodyne enough time to finish its processing before stoppage of playback.

<snip>Thank you, Bob and Ulf, for working together to resolve these issues! :)

Dave Labrecque
01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank, Bob.

So... does it boil down to simply knowing how to use it in SAW to get full functionality? Is it just a matter of keeping live mode engaged when we want to use Melodyne?

Bob L
01-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Seems like the engine must be live when making changes in Melodyne... if you are just playing back with no new changes, the engine can be stopped in between playbacks.

Bob L

Ollie
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Not quite following you Bob. What good is having the product if you cannot stop make a change and move on? Would you step through the issue as you see it and what needs to be done to

1. get around it or
2. Fix it.

Thanks.

Seems like the engine must be live when making changes in Melodyne... if you are just playing back with no new changes, the engine can be stopped in between playbacks.

Bob L

Grekim
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Not quite following you Bob. What good is having the product if you cannot stop make a change and move on? Would you step through the issue as you see it and what needs to be done to

1. get around it or
2. Fix it.

Thanks.

Melodyne needs the engine to be live/running when making changes. Using "live mode" in SAW with a dummy input would keep the engine running even when playback is stopped.

Bob L
01-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Works fine as long as you set a live input on an empty track.... like input 72... the engage Live Mode... then when you start and stop playback, live mode is engaged everytime you stop... therefore the plugin is happy...

Playback... transfer data into plugin... stop playback... adjust any note blobs you want and start playback to hear the changes immediately.

Bob L

Ollie
01-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Bob!

Works fine as long as you set a live input on an empty track.... like input 72... the engage Live Mode... then when you start and stop playback, live mode is engaged everytime you stop... therefore the plugin is happy...

Playback... transfer data into plugin... stop playback... adjust any note blobs you want and start playback to hear the changes immediately.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-31-2011, 09:10 PM

Bob L

Should we be able to loop in the MT while tweaking things in the Melodyne window?

Bob L
02-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Seems to work fine here as long as you start the loop from Live Mode.

I also would not push my luck adjusting where the playback position is happening or at the end of the loop while the loop restarts.

But... it seems stable making adjustments of blobs in front of or behind the current loop position and letting go as the loop is about to restart.

Bob L

MikeDee
02-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Bob LSorry, Bob...having been using SAC for some time, I've forgotten how to set up a live ("dummy") input in SS...and, unfortunately, the manual was not clear enough for me. [Senility setting in...guess I need some hot dogs.... :o]

Would I be better off patching in a VSTi in conjunction with MWS? Or is there an easier way (and I've simply lost my way)?? :confused:

Thanks and regards,

Bob L
02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Go to track 72 (or whatever) and jump up to the Input source and select any input device instead of MultiTrk.

Bob L

MikeDee
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Go to track 72 (or whatever) and jump up to the Input source and select any input device instead of MultiTrk.

Bob L<Blip...pop!> Aaahhh...ok, NOW I got it, Bob!

Changing the Input Source was the missing puzzle piece...and I missed it completely...thank you for getting me back on track (no pun intended). :)

Best regards,