PDA

View Full Version : Levelizer Meters

Carl G.
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Bob,
Though admittedly wave form display of threshold levels is the best way to go in SawStudio, it would sure be nice and very useful to have **Three* separate meters in the Levelizer:
1. Gating Meter
2. Gain Reduction Meter
3. Peak Limiting Meter

Would that be easy to do? The payoffs in reference usage (and especially in SAC) would be huge!

Dave Labrecque
01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Bob,
Though admittedly wave form display of threshold levels is the best way to go.... for SAC and for SAWStudio, it would sure be nice and very useful to have **Three* separate meters in the Levelizer:
1. Gating Meter
2. Gain Reduction Meter
3. Peak Limiting Meter

Would that be easy to do? The payoffs in reference usage (and especially in SAC) would be huge!

There's always the three-instance work-around. Of course, it's hard to know which one you're looking at at any given time. ;)

AntonZ
01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
There's always the three-instance work-around. Of course, it's hard to know which one you're looking at at any given time. ;)

I rest my case ;)

Carl G.
01-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Same here. But my fear is that multiple meters might be a drag on speed of the Levelizer (it's pretty fast!). If not... I have plenty of screen room for a couple more meters!
But admittedly, what I don't have, is the "big picture" of what might be more important in Bob's list of ideas he'd might have for SAWstudio/plugins (not to mention he keeps up SAC too - plus this forum - plus his own mixing career).
Amazing brain power, energy and creativity. Or....Hey... maybe Bob has a Twin.. and we don't know it. :) :) (or was it triplets)!

Cary B. Cornett
01-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Bob,
Though admittedly wave form display of threshold levels is the best way to go in SawStudio, it would sure be nice and very useful to have **Three* separate meters in the Levelizer:
1. Gating Meter
2. Gain Reduction Meter
3. Peak Limiting Meter

Would that be easy to do? The payoffs in reference usage (and especially in SAC) would be huge! I would be very happy with just two meters:
One combining gating and compression gain reduction (as is done in the channel dynamics GR meter), and one dedicated to the limiter. I have many times wished that I could see the limiting GR shown independent of compression GR as a way to help evaluate my settings.

Leadfoot
01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I've always wanted separate meters for these functions. My take on it is I always liked the DBX hardware units with there "converging" meters for gain reduction and input/output levels, in our case I guess one could be for gate, and then just have a 'light' for peak readings, maybe. Auto gain make-up would be cool too, I like that on the new Focusrite octopre dynamics.

Cary B. Cornett
01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I've always wanted separate meters for these functions. My take on it is I always liked the DBX hardware units with there "converging" meters for gain reduction and input/output levels, in our case I guess one could be for gate, and then just have a 'light' for peak readings, maybe. Nope. I really want to be able to see how much limiting is going on, not just whether there is any. When I am running both compression and limiting, I will enable just one, then just the other, to see how much of each might happen, although of course that does not show me how much of each is happening when both are enabled. So no, not just a peak light, but an actual separate limit GR meter is what I would like to see.

Dave Labrecque
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Amazing brain power, energy and creativity. Or....Hey... maybe Bob has a Twin.. and we don't know it. :) :) (or was it triplets)!

Great line from one of the twin nemeses of the main character in The Social Network (highly recommended):

"I’m six five, two twenty, and there’s two of me!"

Dave Labrecque
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I would be very happy with just two meters:
One combining gating and compression gain reduction (as is done in the channel dynamics GR meter), and one dedicated to the limiter. I have many times wished that I could see the limiting GR shown independent of compression GR as a way to help evaluate my settings.

+1

Dave Labrecque
01-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Nope. I really want to be able to see how much limiting is going on, not just whether there is any. When I am running both compression and limiting, I will enable just one, then just the other, to see how much of each might happen, although of course that does not show me how much of each is happening when both are enabled. So no, not just a peak light, but an actual separate limit GR meter is what I would like to see.

Reminds me of when I'm using the Anwida compressor or limiter. No GR meters. Just a light that shows when the signal exceeds the threshold. I feel like I'm flying blind! I know... I should use my ears. :o

Carl G.
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Reminds me of when I'm using the Anwida compressor or limiter. No GR meters. Just a light that shows when the signal exceeds the threshold. I feel like I'm flying blind! I know... I should use my ears. :o
Well... those 'peak lights' are great for digital overs (because who cares how much over you would have been?)....
But for the purpose of limiting.... a peak light is kinda like the airline pilot with the automated ground proximity alert:
"You done hit the ground..... hope it wasn't vertical"!
(useless)

Cary B. Cornett
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Well... those 'peak lights' are great for digital overs (because who cares how much over you would have been?)....
Oddly enough, I care. The VST metering plugin that I almost always slap across the master out in SS will, in fact, tell me how far "over" a digital over has gone. I get numbers (one for each channel) that tell me at a glance how far I need to pull the master fader down to eliminate the overs. That is a lot better than
"Oops! :eek: Peak! better pull it down a little"
try again
"Oops! Peak! better pull it down a little"
try again
try again

etc. :rolleyes:

So yeah, even with "overs" there is a use for a "how much" indicator.

Dave Labrecque
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Oddly enough, I care. The VST metering plugin that I almost always slap across the master out in SS will, in fact, tell me how far "over" a digital over has gone. I get numbers (one for each channel) that tell me at a glance how far I need to pull the master fader down to eliminate the overs. That is a lot better than
"Oops! :eek: Peak! better pull it down a little"
try again
try again
try again

etc. :rolleyes:

So yeah, even with "overs" there is a use for a "how much" indicator.

There's always...

"Oops! :eek: Peak! Lemme pull it down 10 dB and see where the peak is, then add a little less than (the additive inverse of) that back in." ;)

Cary B. Cornett
01-21-2011, 04:05 PM
There's always...

"Oops! :eek: Peak! Lemme pull it down 10 dB and see where the peak is, then add a little less than (the additive inverse of) that back in." ;)
:eek: You mean (Horrors!) subtract?!? :eek:
Now why in blue blazes would I want to do a sensible and logical thing like that? :rolleyes:
Besides, when I have something that actually tells me the numbers, I can reduce two steps to one. :cool:

Dave Labrecque
01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
:eek: You mean (Horrors!) subtract?!? :eek:
Now why in blue blazes would I want to do a sensible and logical thing like that? :rolleyes:
Besides, when I have something that actually tells me the numbers, I can reduce two steps to one. :cool:

True 'nuff, Slick. :)

Carl G.
01-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Oddly enough, I care. The VST metering plugin that I almost always slap across the master out in SS will, in fact, tell me how far "over" a digital over has gone.

Oh, of course! That's what I use Elemental Audio Inspector XL meters!
Well... like I said... I don't see a need for Peak Light Indicators alone! :)
(and that's "The Rest of the Story")

MikeDee
01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
The Sonoris Meter does a good job at picking up intersample clips in OS mode...and it's Native.