PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable soundcard ?

Mitch
02-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm currently using an M-Audio Firewire 410 card. Am I going to get exceptional latency with this or do I need to spend more $$ ;)

MMP
02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Why not try the demo and see?

Regards,

MM

ummi
02-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Why not try the demo and see?

Regards,

MM
Very good idea: i did not use demo and now I'm waiting for results:
ummi

Mitch
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
..oh gosh, try the demo and see ? ... That would be WAY too easy. I will... was just wondering if anyone here, by chance, was using the same card with good results.

MMP
02-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Please know, I wasn't trying to be flip...but, everyone seems to have a different threshold on what is acceptable for latency, and everyone's systems are different enough that reality shifts a bit...easy & safe to try at home.

Regards,

MM

Mitch
02-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Not at all ! If anyone was flip, it was I. I see most guys here are using RME of some sort, so that seems to be the fave. My frugal self, had to try a save a few hundred clams and get the lesser card. Just thought others might have done the same.

I have played with the demos with an even crappier card, but have not recorded anything yet. Just trying to get a feel for the interface, play some existing tracks etc.

Bob L
02-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Don't miss out on watching some of the demo videos online at www.SAWStudio.com (http://www.SAWStudio.com)

They can give you a great insight into how to get started.

Bob L

Shawn
02-09-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm not positive, but I think I can recall Frank Farrell mentioning that he was using an M-Audio Firewire 410 for doing radio spots with good results.

:)

Mitch
02-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Bob, I've watched them all .... a couple of times !! I'm impressed and am chomping at the bit to buy... just want to make sure I've got all my other ducks in a row.

Any comment from you on the Firewire 410 card ?

AudioAstronomer
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
It will work very well with ASIO, there are some occasional glitches you can receive at low latencies depending on your configuration. Ive only had experience with this card on someone else's computer and it worked very well with the saw demo.

Sorry not many have experience with this specific card mitch, if it's any consolation if you ever look to upgrade I can probabaly get you a good deal on an RME :)

Mitch
02-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Talk to me Robert....

I notice you're an affiliate too.. so you can get me a discount on SAWlite too eh ?

AudioAstronomer
02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Talk to me Robert....

I notice you're an affiliate too.. so you can get me a discount on SAWlite too eh ?
Yes sir mitch. If you would like to send me an email about that, that would be prefered.

Have you gotten around to trying the demo yet? If you need I will get a hold of the fw410 and walk you through the process. It's very easy to setup, and like said before the latencies you get will depend on your system.

Are you doing surround or multi-input recordings? There maybe some other options to squeeze out some really low latencies if you dont require too advanced functions. That's not to say you wont right away of course! In this crazy world it's quite variable with all the "build your own" and constantly changing models in the corporate world. Either way, everyoen in this forum (including myself) will gladly help you out squeezing out every last bit of performance out of whatever system you have :)

Bob L
02-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Sorry, I have no experience with the firewire card you speak of...

My general firewire soundcard experience so far has not been good... I have yet to try the RME FireFace... I'm hopefull on that one.

Bob L

Steve L
02-10-2005, 05:52 AM
I use the M'Audio line quite a bit in the systems I build. I have sold
around 50 interfaces in the last year and have had no problems with
the line. I owned a 410 for a while and it performed flawlessly. I now have
the FW1814 because of the versatility i.e. ADAT optical + 8 analog in and
4 out, SPDIF, MIDI, and giga drivers. I have around 20 of the Delta 1010LT
out (pci card) and 15 or so Audiophile 2496. One system just set up for
voiceovers only used the MobilePre USB. The drivers are updated regularly.
I have used RME for larger studio demands. Just my 2cents.

Mitch
02-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all for your responses! Very helpful indeed. I guess I'll go with it until there's a reason to change it out.