PDA

View Full Version : ? O.K. I have mixed 18 tracks to track 19 via "build mix to

Sam C
02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
current hot track." The mix sounds decent. I might do another mixdown but I need help. Normally I would be sending this final stereo wav file to sound forge for mastering. But this is not even a wav file it is a SFK file. So, if I want to master it and listen on a few different stereos, what is my next step?

Many thank U's!

MMP
02-09-2005, 12:49 PM
It is a wave file. You might just not have noticed the file path you created when making it. SFK is a Sound Forge peak data file.

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
You can still do the mastering in Sound Forge. It IS a wave file that you mixed to. Double-click on the build-mix region on track 19 and it will appear in the Sound File view. The title bar of the SF view will show the path and filename of the .wav file that you created. Go to SF and open it. Do you mastering. Play it on your sister's boom box. You'll probably have to close SAW (or at least the sound file and the EDL in SAW) to open it in SF, FYI.

But... I'd do the mastering in SAW. So much easier to move the cursor around as needed during playback. Use the in-console stuff, or patch in your EQs, compressors, limiters.

Sam C
02-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I see that it is a wav file. Let's say I master in SAW. Can I burn to disc from SAW?

Can someone please walk me through their SAW mastering process?

Thanks again!

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I do mostly radio and TV spot audio. So this may/may not be applicable to what you're doing...

1 Get the mix where I want it.

2 Maybe put a compressor across the Output mix bus post-fader (for me, usually the UAD LA-2A). Apply light compression (a few dB)

3 Levelizer post everything else. Normalize set to 2% (-0.18 dB). Limit threshold set as low as I can go without hearing distortion. Usually between 3 and 6 dB of gain reduction on peaks.

No, you can't burn discs from SAW (actually, you may be able to if you have an old burner and the old Ignition plug-in, but it doesn't support newer burners -- it's been "sunsetted" ;)). However, using JMS Audioware's CSG (cue sheet generator) you can create the CD-ready files and/or cue sheet to burn your CD in many other burner programs. Many of which are free. I use CSG and Burrrn, a CD burner program that supports cue sheets.

www.jms-audioware.com (http://www.jms-audioware.com)
www.burrrn.net (http://www.burrrn.net/)

Yura
02-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Mastering in Sound Forge is very uncomfortable and distructive process.
Here and there I see... some records with Sonar, then edites in Nuendo and mastering in SForge... What a big pomp deal. They carry the sound till degradation and after, boasting with theirs delightful results...

In SS there are full of instruments for mastering.
One tip maybe is important - dont mastering with one pair of your favorite monitors only... and in one favorite control room only...

tomasino
02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey Sam, hold on to your shorts 'cuz SawStudio is just about to really blow you away.

Start checking your Master Mix in real time.

Go to the Master Output Track (#1 Out) and plug your StereoImage Enhancement doodad (if you got one) into the PreFadeFx. Then Plug the LEVELIZER into the PostFadeFx (if you don't got that yet - GET IT) - or use whatever maximizer doodad you have.

Most of the time I use OutPut Tracks 2 through X as subs that point to Master Out-1. This'll help you to get to know the track assign buttons better too.

No more of that Mix -> Master -> check the Master -> fix the mix -> roll off new master -> check the Master again.... repeat 'till done. That's so old skool.

Do it all in real time.

Sam C
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
O.K. tomasino, I will give it a try. I need my shorts blown off, again! :D

Mountain Media
02-09-2005, 05:43 PM
O.K. tomasino, I will give it a try. I need my shorts blown off, again! :DAlmost hate to comment, but here goes ------ again??!!??!! :D ;)

AudioAstronomer
02-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I had a nasty sandwich today that about blew my shorts off... not the same idea though huh?

err.... :) haha

Rabbit
02-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I had a nasty sandwich today that about blew my shorts off...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't wanna know.....