PDA

View Full Version : Another SAW fuelled music video: Pop Punk with a healthy dose of stupid!

Oz Nimbus
02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey all, check out my latest video.

Had a lot of fun with this one.... Best viewed in 1080 hd!

Shot with Canon 60d, 24p, Glidecam HD 1000 & a Chinese fluid head tripod.

Tracked & Mixed last spring on SAW.

Please feel free to comment or question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=895D80dJctk&hd=1

tomasino
02-02-2011, 07:14 AM
OZ, that is awesome!

Little tame for you, but more proof your methods work no matter the genre'.

The SawStudio soundtrack is great.. as usual.

Love the GlideCam HD 1000.. surprised about that Canon 60d.. that little camera shot some of the footage?
I couldn't tell. Very cool.:cool:

I can finally share your work with more of my friends.. some of 'em just don't understand a little rage now and then.:confused:
I'd expect your fan base to grow with this one.

Hey, Superbowl party at my house.
You're invited!

matt
02-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Good content! I laughed more than once.:p

Angie
02-02-2011, 08:19 AM
That was great! Very catchy tune. Great video. Wonderfully recorded (kind of went without saying). I loved it. :D

I miss recording stuff like that.

bcorkery
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Full throttle fun Oz! Thanks.

Cary B. Cornett
02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
I liked the song, liked the energy, and particularly liked the fact that I could understand most of the words. About the only thing I found myself wishing for is a little more "air" in the vocals, but that's a personal taste thing with me probably. I'm something of a nut for clarity.

studio-c
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow! So much good stuff in there. Clever video edits. Funny/stoopid/awesome!!!!

And yes, the music performing, recording, and mixing are absolutely dead on.

Congratulations!

Scott

Trackzilla
02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
very nicely done!

kylesoundman
02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Over 6000 plays in 2 days! Great work once again man!

Oz Nimbus
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all the kind words! We had a lot of fun with this one.

BTW, it just hit the #6 most viewed youtube music video in Canada today.... I hope this gets the band noticed.

Dave Labrecque
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM

BTW, it just hit the #6 most viewed youtube music video in Canada today.... I hope this gets the band noticed.

Very cool!

905shmick
02-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Sweet. We've got some good talent on this side of the border. Too bad most of the focus is on the Biebster.

Tom Roberts
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Sweet. We've got some good talent on this side of the border.

I"m waiting for a BTO reunion.

Thomas

905shmick
02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I"m waiting for a BTO reunion.

Thomas

Not quite the same thing, but a good weekly listen.

http://www.cbc.ca/vinyltap/

Bud Johnson
02-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Congrats on a job well done.
Good on you!

jcgriggs
02-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Thomas,

Here is the closest thing possible to a BTO re-union: http://www.bachmanandturner.com/btmain.php

I believe that one of the other Bachmans (the drummer) now owns all the trademarks for BTO and no longer talks to Randy, so Randy & Fred can't use the name anymore...

Cheerz,
John

Tom Roberts
02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey, I WAS KIDDING!

That's the last thing I'd ever want to hear. When a musician dies and goes to hell, he may be forced to listen to BTO songs for eternity.

Thomas

bcorkery
02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I believe that one of the other Bachmans (the drummer) now owns all the trademarks for BTO and no longer talks to Randy, so Randy & Fred can't use the name anymore...Wow, just 'cause the logo was painted on the bass drum head? :eek:

jcgriggs
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I figured any public request for a BTO reunion was gonna be a joke of some kind. My response was meant in the sense of "be careful what you wish for..."

I know Mr. Corkery is kidding too (I can see emoticons with the best of 'em), but I believe Randy agreed to let his brother tour with an outfit using the BTO name and logo sometime in the '80s or '90s and the brother (Robbie - brother Tim was also briefly involved as a rhythm guitarist), realizing that there were no trademarks did the dirty behind his brother's back.

Man, I know way too much about BTO...

Regards,
John

Tom Roberts
02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
On the hand, I loved The Guess Who with Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings. Now they tour under the same name with the drummer and bass player. I've heard them and they sound pro, but not like the original band that made the hit records.

BTO was more of a meager attempt at fulfilling some sort of corporate/radio need for cheesy pop rock.

As the saying goes, there's no accounting for personal taste. BTO sold lots of records, just not to me.:)

Thomas

Cary B. Cornett
02-04-2011, 02:03 PM
BTO was more of a meager attempt at fulfilling some sort of corporate/radio need for cheesy pop rock. Some years ago I heard Randy Bachman himself personally telling about why he started BTO. He wanted to get back into music and on tour in a situation where he did not have to deal with the usual bohemian excesses of rock and roll touring, so he started the whole thing up with his own money, partly so that he could make the rules (basically no drugs/wild partying). As far as "corporate/radio need for cheesy pop rock", of course he did his best to write hit songs, which of course do not become hits without the involvement of radio and, oh yes, corporations. He wasn't concerned with "their" needs, he was out to make a living. When Mercury signed BTO, the first album was already done, at Bachman's personal expense, so the "corporation" had no say at all in what was actually recorded, only in whether they would agree to sell it.

BTW, I am not personally a huge fan of BTO. Their stuff is OK, but I can take it or leave it.

Tom Roberts
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
As far as "corporate/radio need for cheesy pop rock", of course he did his best to write hit songs, which of course do not become hits without the involvement of radio and, oh yes, corporations. He wasn't concerned with "their" needs, he was out to make a living.

The giant step backwards from the originality of The Guess Who style of songs leads me to believe he was delivering formula music needed by radio and the record company whom was writing the check.

Your mileage may vary, but I thought the BTO stuff degraded into silly teeny-bopper pop from The Guess Who stuff that was much more adult oriented rock music. From "These Eyes" and "American Woman" into "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and "Taking Care of Business". Maybe he should have partied more.

Thomas

Dave Labrecque
02-05-2011, 12:00 AM
The giant step backwards from the originality of The Guess Who style of songs leads me to believe he was delivering formula music needed by radio and the record company whom was writing the check.

Your mileage may vary, but I thought the BTO stuff degraded into silly teeny-bopper pop from The Guess Who stuff that was much more adult oriented rock music. From "These Eyes" and "American Woman" into "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and "Taking Care of Business". Maybe he should have partied more.

Thomas

Man, what a wet blanket. You probably don't even like The Archies. "Sugar, Sugar" is one of my faves.

Loosen up, man. "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" and "Taking Care of Business" bring back some fun seventh grade memories for me.

You're probably one of those guys who rolls his eyes at pop classics like "Undercover Angel" and "Love Shack" while reaching for another dose of King Crimson. Open your mind. Open your heart.

;)

(Okay, I'm a fool for a good pop song. :p)

Tom Roberts
02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
(Okay, I'm a fool for a good pop song. :p)

So am I. Too bad BTO didn't record any.:)

Thomas

P.S. "Love Shack" was/is classic.

jcgriggs
02-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Thomas,

<obscure Canadian movie reference>What's wrong with BTO, anyway?</obscure Canadian movie reference>

Wow, no love for the lumberjacks of Rock'n'Roll, huh? As someone else pointed out, Bachman financed BTO (originally called Bravebelt) from his own pocket right up to the release of the first album - their sound was pretty much established before there was any record company money or influence. And Randy's a pretty interesting guy - he's Lenny Breau's musical executor. I highly recommend "Takin' Care of Business", his biography, as a pretty good read about someone who seems to be a decent, hardworking guy.

And as for writing decent pop songs, I'd bet that either Taking Care of Business or You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet outsells Love Shack (and gets more air time.) It's hard to argue with success...

I'm more of a King Crimson fan, myself, but there's nothing wrong with a little bit of meat & potatoes rock to blow out the carbon every now and then (the Ramones works for this as well...)

Cheerz,
John

Ian Alexander
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
The other day, my 16-year-old guitar-playing son and I were riding in the car and Takin' Care of Business came on the radio. I turned up the volume and said it was a fun song. He agreed, but thought the guitar solo was not very good. I had to admit the guitar work was kinda junior high, but it's still a fun song. Perhaps part of its appeal is that, because it's so rudimentary, almost anyone can imagine being those particular rock stars. And isn't that part of pop music? Imagining yourself in the band?

Tom Roberts
02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
And as for writing decent pop songs, I'd bet that either Taking Care of Business or You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet outsells Love Shack (and gets more air time.) It's hard to argue with success...

I'm sure those songs get more airplay in Canada. Isn't there some sort of law that requires Canadian radio and TV to play a certain amount of Canadian produced content? And back in the day, those Canadian radio stations would blast their signal about a million miles. When I was in Army basic training in Fort Knox Kentucky we could pick up CKLW out of Windsor. That's where I first heard The Guess Who .. not on local stations.

Thomas

P.S. We used to call BTO, Bachman Turner Overweight

jcgriggs
02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Tom,

I think the coining of Bachman Turner Overweight was widely attributed to Burton Cummings - if it was you, you should have applied for copyright 8^)

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet was #1 on Billboard and #2 in England. You can't blame this one on Canadian Content rules. Or that so many US hits were launched by CKLW out of Windsor... Face the facts: BTO > B52s

Cheerz,
John

Tom Roberts
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet was #1 on Billboard and #2 in England. You can't blame this one on Canadian Content rules.

Actually I just looked it up and in the U.S., "TCB" peaked at #12. "Yummy Yummy Yummy I Got Love In My Tummy" peaked at #4. Does that make The Ohio Express three times better than BTO?:)

Face the facts: BTO > B52sIs this supposed to mean something to me ... or you ... or anybody?

Thomas

Ian Alexander
02-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Tom,

I think the coining of Bachman Turner Overweight was widely attributed to Burton Cummings - if it was you, you should have applied for copyright 8^)

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet was #1 on Billboard and #2 in England. You can't blame this one on Canadian Content rules. Or that so many US hits were launched by CKLW out of Windsor... Face the facts: BTO > B52s

Cheerz,
John
Good post, John. Also, if B52s were > BTO, Tom and others who have refined musical tastes would be, well, common. And that would be just awful for them.

Carl G.
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
The other day, my 16-year-old guitar-playing son and I were riding in the car and Takin' Care of Business came on the radio. I turned up the volume and said it was a fun song. He agreed, but thought the guitar solo was not very good. I had to admit the guitar work was kinda junior high, but it's still a fun song. Perhaps part of its appeal is that, because it's so rudimentary, almost anyone can imagine being those particular rock stars. And isn't that part of pop music? Imagining yourself in the band?

Like you say, Ian - the 'fun factor' spans generations. My daughter sang in show choir last year which used "Takin' Care of Business"... and today's kids still love it! In fact, it sparked many fun memories for myself too!

Tom Roberts
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I rest my case.:) Good grief. Get me to the airport Holiday Inn for some better entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJprEyXMrIk

Thomas

Carl G.
02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I rest my case.:) Good grief. Get me to the airport Holiday Inn for some better entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJprEyXMrIk

Thomas
Your link has been 'marked' down for future reference.