PDA

View Full Version : remote control issue.

AudioAstronomer
06-10-2004, 10:36 PM
so I spent the better part of the day ( about 16 hours) making changes to the studio to allow much MUCH more freedom for myself. moved anything i had placed somewhere just because i had to have XXX goto XXX. Remote control mode via wireless has freed me from so many constraints.

BUT! alas, I have found an issue now that I setup everything in my dream setup. Here's how it happens.

Main machine is set to host mode.

Remote machine is set to remote mode, and connected.

Now things branch a bit. Out of two instances, the same problem occurs.

1. I open a project on the host machine that does not exist on the remote machine. Error occurs: "Trouble Opening File! (file Possibly no Longer Exists)". It does not attempt to load anymore files. I see no visual data on the remote machine. I used to receive an error kinda like "//computername//folder/folder/file.wav does not exist" or something like that.

2. I start a new session on the host machine. (or continue a previous session). I set to record on the remote machine. One of three things will happen. 1. Will prompt me on the remote machine to save the session EDL, not matter WHAT or WHERE, it keeps asking me. 2. Same error as above after recording finishes. 3. "trouble creating or opening file for write operation! check track label for illegal filename characters. Make sure there is enough disk space for the operation". No illegal file names, plenty disk space. Host machine locks up and dies here.

The host machine is recording to the D drive, and to the default filepath. Does sawstudio use any of the windows file serving processes? if so, I should probabaly re-enable those and give it another try. If not, Id prefer they stay turned off.

Any other ideas? I could always try keeping project copies on both machines, but the second error still occurs when i try to record.

Worked fine before, with the same two machines. have not changed anything /at all/.

AudioAstronomer
06-10-2004, 10:44 PM
about 60 seconds later, Ive done more investigating and found more information that could be possibly useful.

The host computer stores the information on D:\foldername

Remote computer is trying to access the information from \\hostname\\foldername\filename

It seems to be ignoring the drive path.

Also, between this time, and last time it worked I did change ONE thing (my mistake). I saved the default path to be D:\ . So now that seems to be the main problem.

Im going to scour the manual a bit and help files to see if im missing anymore information. But surely it seems as though it should be working in my situation, but it is not.

Take note as well, that when the session fails to open... It will still control the host machine just fine. Meters work great, play/stop, faders etc.. work. No region data, no possibility of record enable. I seem to be thinking this is all linked to the remote machine using an incorrect path to the host machine's session files.

AudioAstronomer
06-10-2004, 10:47 PM
If I attempt to open a project on a "remote machine", the project load fails and gives me the "File doesnt exist"-style error.

just more info for ya :) Still seems like incorrect path

Bob L
06-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Robert,

You must have file and folder access between the machines... I believe everything is failing because you said you had that turned off.

Separate from SAW... you first must be able to access files from one machine to the other in Windows Explorer... you need to be able to see and copy files from machine to machine.

Try that and see if all the problems go away.

As far as the Remote machine goes, it does not even need an audio card and it does not need a copy of the edl on itself... but it does need to see and access the host machine files and folders.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Does this mean I must setup file sharing between the computers?

AudioAstronomer
06-11-2004, 10:34 AM
I did, and it works almost perfectly :)

two new problems. It's saying I have corrupt settings for plugins... so I assume the remote machine must have all the plugins the host does.

second.. I use a blank region to active the metronome track *using jms metronome, i love it*, SawStudioBlank.wav does not exist and the remote machine is quite keen on finding the thing. This certainly must be a "bug" :)

Just talking things out loud, hoping someone with similiar problems can use this to help them.

AudioAstronomer
06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Installing plugs on the remote machine worked fine. The SawStudioBlank.wav is causing playback freezes and crashes somehow. Projects without it work fine.

everything works great otherwise though :)

MMP
06-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Remote control is a really cool function that I hope Bob will spend more time on in the future.

I just finished a surround soundtrack project for the Dolan DNA Learning Center on Long Island. The three screen animated program takes the viewer within the body and into a cell to watch the process of DNA replication. The theatre is the size of a small planetarium and has surround capability. I used the remote function to put the final touches on the mix from the middle of the theatre, by running a 100' crossover ethernet cable between two laptops. It was a lot of fun!

I discovered that while transport control and basic automation functions worked well, there are areas that are far less reliable.

Varispeed is a big no-no, as the region length changes are not transferred between the two systems, so editing on a track with any region w/ varispeed quickly gets you into trouble.

One cool feature is that the remote machine can substitute a local copy of a video file instead of trying to stream video over the network...this was a great feature for my mix.

MM

Bob L
06-11-2004, 01:18 PM
The Blank wav chunk should be found in the SAWStudio/Configuration folder with its associated wpd file... make sure it is present.

Yes, Remote mode requires some more focus... but again I say... don't edit with it active... use it for remote control and mix adjustments only for now.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-11-2004, 01:22 PM
It is indeed in my c:\SawStudioLite\Configuration folder, but neither computer thinks it's there? Or will accept that it's there...

Bob L
06-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Robert,

When you select Create Blank Region from the Regions menu... does it create the Blank Region and put it in the Regions list?

Then if you add that to the MT... does it place the small blank region on the MT?

Then if you double-click that region from the MT into the SoundFile View, does it find the Blank wav file?

If so... then it looks like its finding it correctly.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Robert,

When you select Create Blank Region from the Regions menu... does it create the Blank Region and put it in the Regions list?

Then if you add that to the MT... does it place the small blank region on the MT?

Then if you double-click that region from the MT into the SoundFile View, does it find the Blank wav file?

If so... then it looks like its finding it correctly.

Bob L

Indeed it does. But the remote machine refuses to see it. I double checked all file and folder permissions, and I can even access the file remotely via windows explorer. Sawstudio just doesnt seem to wanna find it :-\

Im going to try copying it to the project folder and correct the filepath to point to that specific file. I am assuming that should fix it.

Whatever is going wrong seems like some weird anomolie with just that file, or project, so Ill deal with it for now :)

matt
06-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Can a palm pilot be used as a remote?

AudioAstronomer
06-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Can it run sawstudio? heheh nooooo

Bob L
06-11-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm afraid no palm pilot for a remote... I considered it, but then it got a little crazy to try for all the eq and compression and MT screen redraws etc... :)

Bob L

Bob L
06-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Robert,

I just tested the Blank Regions on a Host/Remote configuration... works fine here.

The only thing I can figure is that your remote machine does not have access to the drive where the Blank Region wav file is stored on the Host machine.

To use the Remote mode, your remote machine must have full drive access to the Host... every drive that may contain parts of a session... you must be already connected through the network neighborhood and password accepted if there is one... in other words, before you ever attempt a SAWStudio remote connection, you should be capable of accessing the host machine completely through the Windows Explorer or whatever shell you use... otherwise you will get File Not Found errors when opening a session or initially connecting to a host that has an open session.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-14-2004, 09:46 AM
after more research than I wish to embark upon for such a small thing, I found the answer :)

And it's window's fault, not saw's. for some reason the file is split between 2 hard drives. and file sharing windows refuses to see it. Plain windows has no problem. I also found this problem on another computer I had installed saw on to reproduce the problem, except a VST got split. Didnt work.

So, Its working now :) POS windows.

ghowardjr
06-14-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm afraid no palm pilot for a remote... I considered it, but then it got a little crazy to try for all the eq and compression and MT screen redraws etc... :)

Bob L

You may be a little facetious here but think about this. What if you could simply use a Pocket PC PDA to initiate the recording in SAW thru a Pocket PC terminal emulation client? HMMM, wonder if this would actually work? I can think of tons of benefit there. WIth a little wireless 802.11 b card in the PDA I could achieve some really cool things without having to shuttle back and forth so much between the control room/live room. Also, this would present some interesting live opportunities with the ability to trigger things from a musicians position without having to have a laptop...

Just thinkin' out loud here...
Gary

AudioAstronomer
06-14-2004, 01:04 PM
I am Already doing this with a laptop.

If you want to be really sophisticated, get a tabletPC and belt strap for it.

Personally I love just using the laptop. PDA's have sooo many things to be wary of. Having developed for winCE many times, I can surely say this is not something Bob should be wasting his time on :) Particularly since it would be a bloody mess for all the different PDA's out there... Then the horrible hassle of isntalling and keeping software up to date on a PDA.

goodness no, you can buy very, very small laptops these days.. just go with it :)