PDA

View Full Version : Project Title

mixer100
02-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Can somebody tell me why an EDL/session I've named "Experimental" causes SAW to crash on me? I've tried to recover it several times with no luck. It was a mix I had been working on for several days.:(

Dave Labrecque
02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Can somebody tell me why an EDL/session I've named "Experimental" causes SAW to crash on me? I've tried to recover it several times with no luck. It was a mix I had been working on for several days.:(

SAW doesn't like file names with the letter 'x' in them. Kidding. ;)

There are lots of things that can cause this. Maybe a funky plug-in? The best thing to do is try opening the most recent undo files. If you look in the 'undo' folder inside the EDL's root folder, then sort the 'modified' column by date, you can find the most recent undos. You can then change any undo file's extension to "edl" and try to open it in SAW. Hopefully, you won't have to go back too far to find one that will open. Maybe even the most recent one.

It may take a little detective work to figure out/remember what you did after that to corrupt the session. Sometimes, you just do it again and go 'Aha!'. Or sometimes, you do it again without any obvious faux pas and go 'WFT?'

Good luck. :)

mixer100
02-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Dave. I'll give those suggestions a try.

Arco
02-27-2011, 05:18 AM
You can create a new EDL and then "blend" the troublesome one into that new one..sometimes this works..fwiw

MikeDee
02-27-2011, 06:39 AM
. . . . .

It may take a little detective work to figure out/remember what you did after that to corrupt the session. Sometimes, you just do it again and go 'Aha!'. Or sometimes, you do it again without any obvious faux pas and go 'WFT?'

Good luck. :)Right you are, Dave. Sometimes I get so surprised and confused by an unexpected glitch that I, too, exclaim, "WFT?" Takes a few minutes for me to recover and go "WTF?!" :p

Dave Labrecque
02-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Right you are, Dave. Sometimes I get so surprised and confused by an unexpected glitch that I, too, exclaim, "WFT?" Takes a few minutes for me to recover and go "WTF?!" :p

Thanks for catching that, Mike. OIU. ;)

mixer100
02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Well...I'm still up the proverbial creek without the "WTF" paddle. I've tried the "Dave" suggestions and no luck. I did move the EDL file somewhere else and it worked once. But when I saved it and tried to re-open it, no go.
Erik,
I tried the blending thing but it didn't blend my plugs and settings (had to start over) Now I have 4 mixes that I can't open. BTW, Erik...I really enjoy your podcasts every weekend. Makes me want to run out and buy a cello!
here's what I am getting:
1. I open SawStudio and get the default session (blank)
2. Menu: open Session...Pull up my EDL file Import
3. Warning that SawStudio has stopped working and then shuts down.
Here's the odd thing I'm getting. In the Multitrack title bar, the session name shows but you can still read the default title (in gray) under it. When I could get them to open it was just showing the session name in yellow.
Oh Please Great OZ, can someone throw a brother a bone?:confused:

ivanoff
02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Open your session, try removing all plugins, do "save session as " and try to reopen the new session, if it works, look for the plugin(s) that do not work

RobertV
02-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Your issue could possibly be a faulty VST Plug-in, and to find it:

1.) Make a copy of your EDL in a safe place.

2.) Copy the contents of your vst plug-ins folder somewhere else (in easy reach)

3.) Empty your vst plug-ins directory

4.) open your Project (and [ok] all the messages informing you of missing VSTs. (if it opens without any other issues there is an problem with one of the VST Plug-ins and the next steps are to find which one)

5.) Close the project and start moving plugins back into the directory, you can do one or a few at the time.
Try to start up the project each time you added more plug-ins until it fails again, and you have isolated the VST causing the problem. (if you copied a batch at the time you might have to do a few more cycles to isolate the offending one!)

6.) Move all the VST plugs back into the VSTY Plug-ins directory except the one causing trouble.

Hope this helps!

Dave Labrecque
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Well...I'm still up the proverbial creek without the "WTF" paddle. I've tried the "Dave" suggestions and no luck.

Are you saying that you tried opening several of the more-recent undo files, and they didn't open? That would be strange. And would point to something more systemic, rather than EDL-specific, I'd think.

mixer100
02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Dave,
Not the undo's. Trying that doesn't help. I mean trying to open other song sessions. BTW, None of the others hav an X in the title!:eek:

Dave Labrecque
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Dave,
Not the undo's. Trying that doesn't help. I mean trying to open other song sessions. BTW, None of the others hav an X in the title!:eek:

When you say it doesn't help, what do you mean? They won't open? Do the other song sessions not have undos of their own?

andy cross
03-01-2011, 07:12 AM
+1 for what RobertV said. Most times I've had a problem opening a session it's been third-party plug-in related, and denying SAW access to the plug-ins has solved it.

mixer100
03-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Well, I found a work around but I still don't know why it was/is doing what it's doing.
I found that by opening a default session, undoing all of my default settings (everything) and starting the EDL in this default session, I can then go in , after it's loaded, and change all my device, sample and bit rates and then change my shade to what I want, I can continue working on the song.
But I can't saved those items as a default session setting or I'm right back where I started.
Thanks again for all the help.