PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: XP network printer on Win7?

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Can it be done?

I have a 19th-century parallel port printer on my P4 XP system. I have networked that system to my new Win7 system. I'd like to print over the network from my new system.

The 'Add A Printer' stuff in Win7 doesn't see the printer on the network, although it's set as shared on the XP box.

Is there any hope?

905shmick
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Not sure, but you might be better off with one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156026

At least this way you don't need to keep the XP PC on in order to print.

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Not sure, but you might be better off with one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156026

At least this way you don't need to keep the XP PC on in order to print.

Yeah, I was looking at something different up the road. Just wanted to make it work this way till then.

But I was thinking of something more like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232005&cm_re=parallel_to_usb_adapter-_-12-232-005-_-Product). A parallel-to-USB adapter. Lots cheaper.

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Omigod. I just realized I won't be able to do this. It's an older printer and HP has no Win7 support for it. :(

Any tricks I should know about getting an old XP-drivers-only printer working in Windows 7? No can do?

Or would the print server thingy work? What does a print server do for a driver? Drivers are OS-specific, so I'm scratchin' my head on this one... :confused:

905shmick
03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
A generic Postscript or PCL driver should work.

mr_es335
03-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Hello,

What is the model of the printer?

Can you try XP to XP...WIN7 sometimes takes almost an hour to "see" a new device.

With WIN7 you have to very patient (or you just might be one).

Microstudio
03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I just hooked up a Canon MX870 to my MAC Mini and my Windows Vista notebook can print to it wirelessly.:)

905shmick
03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I just had a beer.

IraSeigel
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Looking at it from a different perspective:
If you're running Win7 Pro, you can download the Virtual XP Mode for free and print from inside XP on your Win7 machine. A hassle, but doable. Easier, tho, to buy an $80 Canon or HP inkjet. Your old printer might not even have any decent ink cartridges available. Get something new and cheap.

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
A generic Postscript or PCL driver should work.

And how would I apply one of those? Directly in Windows7? Which hardware interface route are you thinking?

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Hello,

What is the model of the printer?

Can you try XP to XP...WIN7 sometimes takes almost an hour to "see" a new device.

With WIN7 you have to very patient (or you just might be one).

It's an HP LaserJet 3100.

What do you mean by trying "XP to XP"?

Hooked to my old XP system, the printer has always been set to "share", so I'd think it would have been seen a few hours after turning both systems on this morning, yes? That's weird, though, that it can take that long.

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
My left boob is bigger than my right boob.

Dave Labrecque
03-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Looking at it from a different perspective:
If you're running Win7 Pro, you can download the Virtual XP Mode for free and print from inside XP on your Win7 machine. A hassle, but doable. Easier, tho, to buy an $80 Canon or HP inkjet. Your old printer might not even have any decent ink cartridges available. Get something new and cheap.

I cheaped out and got Win7 Home. From what I've read on-line, the guys trying to use XP mode have not had success with this printer.

It's a laser printer (HP LaserJet 3100 all-in-one). Cartridges last forever. And can be had for pretty cheap in the aftermarket market. Simple scanning and faxing, too. Works great. Sure would hate to have to replace it. :(

905shmick
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
HP says "Sorry, no win 7 support for you"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02535920

IraSeigel
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I cheaped out and got Win7 Home. From what I've read on-line, the guys trying to use XP mode have not had success with this printer.

It's a laser printer (HP LaserJet 3100 all-in-one). Cartridges last forever. And can be had for pretty cheap in the aftermarket market. Simple scanning and faxing, too. Works great. Sure would hate to have to replace it. :(

Understood. I've regretted having to replace some equipment because of no Win7 drivers. Also, the old gear is worth next to nothing on eBay.

AntonZ
03-15-2011, 02:12 AM
I know about that indeed. We use an HP laserjet 4 from the stone age at home. Bought it as a used office printer many years ago. It makes a bit more noise than modern printers, the network interface is 10mbit only and does not auto-negotiate with 100mbit, so it has got it's own 10mbit hub to connect to the "home net". But the toners last forever (I think we last replaced one back in the bronze age) and it just keeps on spitting out page after page.

mr_es335
03-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello,

Any of the HP Laserjet III drivers should work...though you will lose the faxing/copying capabilities. Or, as I said, use the generic text drviers.

As for not being "seen" on the network, you have to make very sure with WIN7 that the username, passwords, and workgroup names are all the same on BOTH systems. WIN7 is very fussy about stuff like that (all to do with "trusting"...).

Hope this helps.

Dave Labrecque
03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
HP says "Sorry, no win 7 support for you"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02535920

Yes, I know. That's why I was asking if the print server thingy would get around that problem. Or any other approach.

Dave Labrecque
03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Hello,

Any of the HP Laserjet III drivers should work...though you will lose the faxing/copying capabilities. Or, as I said, use the generic text drviers.

As for not being "seen" on the network, you have to make very sure with WIN7 that the username, passwords, and workgroup names are all the same on BOTH systems. WIN7 is very fussy about stuff like that (all to do with "trusting"...).

Hope this helps.

Well, I've had no problems seeing shared folders, so I can't imagine why I can't see this shared printer.

Will the print server approach (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156026&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Print/Scanner+Server-_-Trendnet-_-33156026) require working Win 7 drivers to print from my Win 7 machine?

Tom Roberts
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Well, I've had no problems seeing shared folders, so I can't imagine why I can't see this shared printer.

Will the print server approach (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156026&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Print/Scanner+Server-_-Trendnet-_-33156026) require working Win 7 drivers to print from my Win 7 machine?

Don't know about Win 7, but it's the same story when putting an XP PC and a Mac on a network together. Devices like shared printers have to have the EXACT user name, password, network name, etc., or you get nada ... unlike a couple of XP machines together that are somehow less fussy. There may also be more than one place that you have to enter this data.

Shared folders don't have those requirements.

In fact, I have intermittent trouble seeing some of the Mac folders and drives from my wife's PC, so I typically work from the Mac when trying to transfer files.

Thomas

Ian Alexander
03-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Not sure if it's required, but I had to install drivers for my printers - one laser, one color inkjet - to get them to run, via dlink printserver, in Win7 32 Home. There are several pieces of hardware around here, though, that use the same driver on all Windows flavors since 2000. Have you tried just installing the xp driver?

Dave Labrecque
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Don't know about Win 7, but it's the same story when putting an XP PC and a Mac on a network together. Devices like shared printers have to have the EXACT user name, password, network name, etc., or you get nada ... unlike a couple of XP machines together that are somehow less fussy. There may also be more than one place that you have to enter this data.

Shared folders don't have those requirements.

In fact, I have intermittent trouble seeing some of the Mac folders and drives from my wife's PC, so I typically work from the Mac when trying to transfer files.

Thomas

Well, I can't seem to find anywhere to enter such info. I guess I have to learn the whole networking thing to uncover these little bits of info that I am apparently out of touch with.

Dave Labrecque
03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Not sure if it's required, but I had to install drivers for my printers - one laser, one color inkjet - to get them to run, via dlink printserver, in Win7 32 Home. There are several pieces of hardware around here, though, that use the same driver on all Windows flavors since 2000. Have you tried just installing the xp driver?

I have not tried it. I read several accounts of people trying and failing. Also -- Microsoft says that the printer is not supported in Windows 7. I was hoping a print server might circumnavigate this problem. But I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. :(

ambler
03-16-2011, 03:18 AM
I have not tried it. I read several accounts of people trying and failing. Also -- Microsoft says that the printer is not supported in Windows 7. I was hoping a print server might circumnavigate this problem. But I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. :(

Yes, you will need a working win 7 driver no matter what arrangement of server you have. Single device hardware print servers like the one shown simply make the printer available to all computers on the network without needing a host computer running for the printer. each computer that connects to the printer via the print server will still need an appropriate driver installed for the operating system that it is running.

I agree with mr_es335, an HP Laserjet III driver will probably work if you can find one or possibly the HP universal print driver. In either case you will only be able to print - the multifunction features will definitely not be supported.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, you will need a working win 7 driver no matter what arrangement of server you have. Single device hardware print servers like the one shown simply make the printer available to all computers on the network without needing a host computer running for the printer. each computer that connects to the printer via the print server will still need an appropriate driver installed for the operating system that it is running.

I agree with mr_es335, an HP Laserjet III driver will probably work if you can find one or possibly the HP universal print driver. In either case you will only be able to print - the multifunction features will definitely not be supported.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. That's the info I was looking for.

Maybe I'll try a generic driver in the meantime. But it looks like I have no choice but to buy a new all-in-one unit for my Windows 7 machine. :(

Tom Roberts
03-16-2011, 11:21 AM
But it looks like I have no choice but to buy a new all-in-one unit for my Windows 7 machine. :(

If you are within the "return" period I would take the other one back, especially if the salesman led you to believe it was "current", after his ignorant (or intentional) sales pitch that CD printers were no longer made.

Unfortunately, you would be subject to the worst retail return policy known to mankind at Best Buy.

Thomas

Dave Labrecque
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
If you are within the "return" period I would take the other one back, especially if the salesman led you to believe it was "current", after his ignorant (or intentional) sales pitch that CD printers were no longer made.

Unfortunately, you would be subject to the worst retail return policy known to mankind at Best Buy.

Thomas

Man, you are just Mr. Doom and Gloom, sometimes. :p

As I explained after my initial post to that effect, he said something more like he hadn't seem 'em in a while. No evil intent, methinks. And that's when I was shopping for a home printer a couple weeks back.

I bought my HP LaserJet 3100 for the studio probably 11 years ago. I wouldn't expect it to be returnable. ;) Sadly, it keeps on running perfectly, well past the point that HP is willing to create current up-to-date drivers for it.

Sorry to hear that you're so disappointed in Best Buy. Maybe you shouldn't buy stuff there.

Tom Roberts
03-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry, my bad. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to a printer you just purchased.

And no, I do not buy anything at Best Buy because of their well documented horrible return policy and customer service which has burned several people I know personally, and a few people here, IIRC.

And sorry if your sales guy was ignorant regarding the availability of CD printers. I haven't seen the iPod 2 or many of the other tablets, but I know they exist ... even if I'm not a computer salesman.

Thomas

905shmick
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I heard pros don't shop at Best Buy or use B* gear.

Dave Labrecque
03-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Sorry, my bad. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to a printer you just purchased.

And no, I do not buy anything at Best Buy because of their well documented horrible return policy and customer service which has burned several people I know personally, and a few people here, IIRC.

And sorry if your sales guy was ignorant regarding the availability of CD printers. I haven't seen the iPod 2 or many of the other tablets, but I know they exist ... even if I'm not a computer salesman.

Thomas

What's the problem with their return policy, exactly? I'd think customer service would be a store-by-store thing, no?

Yeah, my guy only seemed to know the stuff in the store. I gotta wonder, though, how prevalent CD-capable printers are in retail outlets, these days. I wouldn't expect him to be real up on atypical current-market consumer products. Not at a Best Buy.

It's true, you are better-informed than most Best Buy guys. Are we surprised? ;)

studio-c
03-16-2011, 02:00 PM
@905shmick
Right. It's in the Studio Guy Manual. B&H exclusively, because you can say you got it in New York. ;)
There may be exceptions for office equipment and Antares Auto-Tune though.

Dave Labrecque
03-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I heard pros don't shop at Best Buy or use B* gear.

Well, when he has two gift cards, there's a sale going, and he there's a well-reviewed printer by a respected manufacturer available at the store, this pro does. :) My mistake was probably relying on the BB sales guy's thoughts and not asking Tom in the first place. ;)

Though it's really a non-issue, since I don't have a need to print on CDs.

Actually, it's attractive to me, sometimes, to buy online from a vendor who has retail stores in my area (Best Buy, Costco, Wendy's), so I can return the item if need be without paying return shipping -- and get a great price.

What's B* gear? You mean, like, B-stock merchandise?

Tom Roberts
03-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Actually, it's attractive to me, sometimes, to buy online from a vendor who has retail stores in my area (Best Buy, Costco, Wendy's), so I can return the item if need be without paying return shipping -- and get a great price.

Again, my bad for getting the "other printer thread" in which you participated, confused with this one.

So how did the "Costco" purchase work out for ya? As good as the "Best Buy"? How long did it take to fix the Costco one?

You know, there are other options that work out well for the audio guys amongst us.;) There are exceptions, but Costco and Best Buy are generally not on the short list ... nether for convenience or cost.

YMMV. FWIW, I did purchase some DVD at Costco for holiday gifts. They played fine ... although turned out to be more expensive than the obvious alternatives.

Thomas

Brent Evans
03-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Not going to quote all the lead up...

Best Buy took a lot of flack for their return policy, but the current return policy is much better. I bought an Asus tower to replace an ailing DAW, and ended up just needing a power supply... I took it back (with knockouts for PCI cards missing and the "don't break the seal" seal broken) and the geek squad guy tested it, OK'd it as operational, and they gave me my money back.

Dave Labrecque
03-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Again, my bad for getting the "other printer thread" in which you participated, confused with this one.

So how did the "Costco" purchase work out for ya? As good as the "Best Buy"? How long did it take to fix the Costco one?

You know, there are other options that work out well for the audio guys amongst us.;) There are exceptions, but Costco and Best Buy are generally not on the short list ... nether for convenience or cost.

YMMV. FWIW, I did purchase some DVD at Costco for holiday gifts. They played fine ... although turned out to be more expensive than the obvious alternatives.

Thomas

The first computer we bought as Costco is great. It's the home quad core AMD Gateway box that I've mentioned in the past -- bought in the local store. The second computer purchase, this one a Core i7 for the studio, didn't go as well. The specs they listed didn't quite match what they'd listed (2 PCI slots instead of 3). So they knocked a hundred bucks off the price. I was good with that, thinking I could use the money to sell my 2 UAD-1's and get a UAD-2 card. Turned out the chassis was bent, though, such that the mobo connectors didn't line up with the back of the case. Pretty crappy quality control from the manufacturer (it was drop-shipped from ibuypower.com). I took it in to the local store and they gave me cash on the spot. I was especially impressed with the online customer service. They were really good. To bad the supplier wasn't so good.

I've been pretty pleased with everything else I've bought at Cosco. Seems like the quality is overall pretty consistently high.

Not sure what you mean by "...as good as the Best Buy?" I haven't had any problem purchases with Best Buy that I can think of. Just that one bum answer to a question about CD printers. Actually, I did buy a wireless keyboard/mouse combo a couple weeks back from BB where the mouse wheel was a little sticky. I took it back and they swapped it out no prob.

So for me, yeah, Costco and Best Buy are great options in certain situations. For specialty stuff, of course, I don't go to retail stores and generally favor a joint like Newegg. You may have more money than me, though, so maybe item cost and shipping cost don't matter to you as much.

Ian Alexander
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Turned out the chassis was bent, though, such that the mobo connectors didn't line up with the back of the case. Pretty crappy quality control from the manufacturer (it was drop-shipped from ibuypower.com).
Dave, I think it's interesting that you used the term "drop-shipped". Perhaps that's how the chassis got bent.:p

Richard Rupert
03-17-2011, 07:23 AM
<Snip>

Wendy's? Really? Isn't the food cold by the time you get it? And you've gotta be starving with THAT kind of "fast food" delivery. :)

Tom Roberts
03-17-2011, 08:29 AM
So for me, yeah, Costco and Best Buy are great options in certain situations. For specialty stuff, of course, I don't go to retail stores and generally favor a joint like Newegg. You may have more money than me, though, so maybe item cost and shipping cost don't matter to you as much.

I doubt if I have more money than anybody, but Costco and Best Buy are not on my short list of places to buy computer gear for my studio.

The experiences that you seem to be comfortable with are reason enough for me to avoid them. False advertising and defective products?

I also buy lots of stuff at Costco. But most of their tech gear seems to be factory seconds or discontinued models purchased in mass quantity.

Regarding your other question about Best Buy return policy, it has to do with a 25***37; restocking fee that is in the fine print somewhere, or not advertised at all. MANY folks I know, including several here, have been burned by it.

Thomas

Cary B. Cornett
03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
But, if you get a triple with cheese, you can get a two year service agreement, with a complete replacement warranty.
Warranty is in effect only for a fully loaded triple. If you have them hold the onions, that warranty is voided.
Also, to eat the triple, you need to have the new 2nd generation PACE iLok.

... just sayin'. I just called my wife and read that to her (and Richard's comment before that) in my best "VO/speedy disclaimer" voice. When she got through laughing, she said, "Tell those guys they are having way too much fun!"

There... now I hold the title for "most OT part of this thread".

Dave Labrecque
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Dave, I think it's interesting that you used the term "drop-shipped". Perhaps that's how the chassis got bent.:p

LOL. :p No doubt. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think what might've happened is that the expanding foam pack thing they stick inside the case for shipping expanded too much and actually deformed the structure from the inside. Weird, huh?

Dave Labrecque
03-17-2011, 10:02 AM
...Costco and Best Buy are not on my short list of places to buy computer gear for my studio.

Really?

Richard Rupert
03-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I just called my wife and read that to her (and Richard's comment before that) in my best "VO/speedy disclaimer" voice. When she got through laughing, she said, "Tell those guys they are having way too much fun!"

There... now I hold the title for "most OT part of this thread".
Having "Fun" is NEVER off topic. ;):):D