PDA

View Full Version : OT: Using screenshots in a book

NGNEER
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I am interested in using screenshots in a book I am currently writing from several software programs including SS. I would be using screen shots to show examples of software mixers and editing functions primarily. My question would be, what clearances are required to use these screenshots.

Dave Labrecque
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I am interested in using screenshots in a book I am currently writing from several software programs including SS. I would be using screen shots to show examples of software mixers and editing functions primarily. My question would be, what clearances are required to use these screenshots.

FWIW, you have the green light from me. :p

I'd think you'd need permission from the entity owning each application (usually, the current developer). I can't imagine anyone not giving you permission to show off their interface.

I know I impress most as very knowledgeable in many, many areas, but I should let you know that I am not a lawyer.

AntonZ
03-18-2011, 01:10 AM
This is an issue for which I'd contact Bob directly, rather than discuss in the forum. Send him a PM or email, or just call him. Details are on the Contact page of the SAWStudio website.

Microstudio
03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Freedom of the press! Just goggle image Sawstudio and you can find tons of screen shots. Or you can download the demo and just take some screen shots yourself.

Dave Labrecque
03-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Freedom of the press! Just goggle image Sawstudio and you can find tons of screen shots. Or you can download the demo and just take some screen shots yourself.

Um... I think you meant "oggle". ;)

Ian Alexander
03-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Um... I think you meant "oggle". ;)
Or perhaps ogle.:o

Dave Labrecque
03-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Or perhaps ogle.:o

You are correct, sir.

Thankfully, the Urban Dictionary is there for those of us who become sloppy with the language (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oggle) now and again. ;)

Brent Evans
03-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Freedom of the press, as with any constitutional right, is limited by the violation of rights of others, i.e. libel and copyright abuse. You can't print lies about someone, and you can't profit off their intellectual property.

There is, however, the fair use doctrine, which allows limited use without obtaining permission for certain applications. Writing a for-profit book is not usually one of them, but writing a research essay for school or a news article would typically fall under fair use.

To be safe... if anyone is going to potentially make any money off the sale of this product, obtain proper permissions in writing (as in a signed letter, preferably notarized, and at your expense), and be prepared to pay a fee for those permissions if necessary.

This doesn't even begin to get into the DMCA, which is another whole issue entirely... see your attorney for details.

However... for a few screenshots... as long as you ask the right people properly (and nicely), explaining the reasons for your use and how you intend to portray their product (positively), you can usually obtain permissions fairly easily.

I am not an attorney, but that's what I remember from Business Law 101 in college. Before you proceed, consult an attorney to make sure you're in good shape.

RBIngraham
03-18-2011, 07:01 PM

Are you seriously suggesting that as a good solution to the original poster? Because if you're serious that's a terrible idea and forgive me but a very naive suggestion. :confused:

Just because there might be a ton of idiots out there doing something doesn't mean it's legal.

All it would take (as other have suggested) is a simple phone call to ask Bob's permission. And unless you're writing some book about how you hate the SAW interface or something, I can not image why he wouldn't let you publish as many screen shots as you like.

If you're not making any money on the project that is different. There is fair use within copyright law. But fair use is not freedom of the press! The press (at least any of them that have a brain) will always obtain the rights to any photo you see in a newspaper, web site, magazine, etc.... They don't just go on Goggle and right click and select Save Picture As. :)

Unless something is clearly published under the creative commons license, sorry it's not free game.

Please, in the future be careful about making such suggestions. Someone might follow up on them and get themselves in trouble.

Dave Labrecque
03-18-2011, 08:17 PM
The press (at least any of them that have a brain) will always obtain the rights to any photo you see in a newspaper, web site, magazine, etc...

Recent exception:

Press borrows photo from the home of the little girl killed during the recent Gabby Giffords et al. shooting.

Original photographer of the portrait sees it in the media, and asks for money for its use.

Public pounces on him for being an unconscionably selfish a-hole.

Photographer falls back, claiming that all along he was going to give any proceeds to charity.

Or something like that. :rolleyes:

RBIngraham
03-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Recent exception:

Press borrows photo from the home of the little girl killed during the recent Gabby Giffords et al. shooting.

Original photographer of the portrait sees it in the media, and asks for money for its use.

Public pounces on him for being an unconscionably selfish a-hole.

Photographer falls back, claiming that all along he was going to give any proceeds to charity.

Or something like that. :rolleyes:

Wow! That's a bit ridiculous I have to say. Of course I've always thought those portrait photographers were ridiculous. That's why I have all the digital files for my wedding photos, I'm not going to be buying them from someone for the rest of time.

I think there is a very simple rule to follow that is fair to everyone. If money is made, the talent gets paid. Or you at least get permission. :)