PDA

View Full Version : Old Sawpro 24bit U or P

Sawtesting man
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi,
I have imported an old SawPro Edl. Works great!!!! :)

But when I open a soundfile from that old Sawpro session it says that they were recorded in 24bit (P) 48khz. I understand that p stands for packed in some way...
Is this right, are my old sawpro files packed? :confused:

Marvin
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi!
IIRC, the P stands for completely normal wav files. The U option was a kind of proprietary format, I think, which was never really used (AFAIK).

good luck
marvin

Sawtesting man
03-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Ok, are you shure? so I should go for the P ?
I did think that the U soundet better.. when testing build mix.
But I will and export the tracks to soundfiles and then take them with me. And I dont want any trouble open them in an other program.
Thanks

Dave Labrecque
03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi,
I have imported an old SawPro Edl. Works great!!!! :)

But when I open a soundfile from that old Sawpro session it says that they were recorded in 24bit (P) 48khz. I understand that p stands for packed in some way...
Is this right, are my old sawpro files packed? :confused:

Bob made SAWStudio compatible with (and capable of creating) an unpacked 24-bit format WAV file in order to optimize performance. The trade-off is that such files use more space. It never caught on with the general marketplace, though. So, 24-bit packed WAV files are considered "normal" today.

Dave Labrecque
03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok, are you shure? so I should go for the P ?
I did think that the U soundet better.. when testing build mix.
But I will and export the tracks to soundfiles and then take them with me. And I dont want any trouble open them in an other program.
Thanks

They will sound the same. They contain the same data, just arranged in the binary words differently, if I understand correctly.

You can check it by doing the null test that Steve Berson outlined in another thread.

Sawtesting man
03-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, if I have a packed files I should stick to that format for the rest of the song then. Bobs the best!!!

Sawtesting man
03-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Great Dave, I will check out the thread if I find it.
Thanks!!:)

Dave Labrecque
03-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Great Dave, I will check out the thread if I find it.
Thanks!!:)

Here ya go:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=156321#poststop

Sawtesting man
03-19-2011, 05:51 AM
I did a test.

Sounds like the bigger U files are adding something...

When built a mix from MT ( the files on the MT are 24 P)
Doing the same thing and save it as a 24 bit P file, sounds identical to the playback of the MT.

Im more and more impressed of SawStudio.

How I just could open up a 10year old SawPro session and in a minute make it a Sawstudio session. No problem at all.... :)
This you cant do so easy in other programs....

Dave Labrecque
03-19-2011, 07:58 AM
I did a test.

Sounds like the bigger U files are adding something...

When built a mix from MT ( the files on the MT are 24 P)
Doing the same thing and save it as a 24 bit P file, sounds identical to the playback of the MT.

Im more and more impressed of SawStudio.

How I just could open up a 10year old SawPro session and in a minute make it a Sawstudio session. No problem at all.... :)
This you cant do so easy in other programs....

Did you do the null test? Watch out for "placebo effect".