PDA

View Full Version : Help deleting an invalid file name

mojogil
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I bought the "no brainer" Miroslav Philharmonic stuff. I put it all in one folder for safe keeping and organization. I'm trying to delete that folder right now and I keep getting error messages like:

"cannot delete -solo flute looped: the file name you specified is not valid or too long. secify a different file name."

It happens for many of the folders, brass, flute, clarinet, etc. Some of the folders I can re-name but some of them I can't? I dont even get the option when I right click? FWIW I'm running Windows XP, brand new install with all updates current except the malicious software one.
Any thoughts on how to delete this folder?

Dave Labrecque
03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
I bought the "no brainer" Miroslav Philharmonic stuff. I put it all in one folder for safe keeping and organization. I'm trying to delete that folder right now and I keep getting error messages like:

"cannot delete -solo flute looped: the file name you specified is not valid or too long. secify a different file name."

It happens for many of the folders, brass, flute, clarinet, etc. Some of the folders I can re-name but some of them I can't? I dont even get the option when I right click? FWIW I'm running Windows XP, brand new install with all updates current except the malicious software one.

Change the folder name first, then delete it? Sorry -- gotta ask.

mojogil
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, I did that for several of the folders that had the - before the name, and it works, but for some reason that seems completely arbitrary, there are four or so of them that won't let me rename them. When I right click on them I don't even get a delete option, just explore and copy. I dont get it. It is in the larger folders with the sounds in them. Just curious if anyone else has the same problem, or if anyone knows of a box I can uncheck somewhere that allows for more elaborate file names.

Naturally Digital
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, I did that for several of the folders that had the - before the name, and it works, but for some reason that seems completely arbitrary, there are four or so of them that won't let me rename them. When I right click on them I don't even get a delete option, just explore and copy. I dont get it. It is in the larger folders with the sounds in them. Just curious if anyone else has the same problem, or if anyone knows of a box I can uncheck somewhere that allows for more elaborate file names.As with so much of this stuff, it sounds familiar to me... like I've had to deal with this before... wish I could remember what I did. :o

Anyway, first thing that comes to mind is to try booting into safe mode.

If that doesn't work, then of course Google it and/or contact the developer.

mr_es335
03-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Hello,

Many times in the Windows environment, the path statement is simply too long. Remember in the old DOS days, the path statement had to quite short. With Windows, you can have longer file names (even including spaces). I believe the total is 256 characters.

You may need to go to the furthest inside folder and rename that one (like to "1") and do that for every subsequent "tree" folder. Also, try renaming the file inside the folder - to "1" as well. The length of the filename is taken into account for the total length of the path statement. If that does not work, you may need to move the furthest inside folder to the root of the drive.

If all else fails, boot to Safe Mode, Command Prompt and remove it from there...this sometimes works. Most of the time though, it is the combination of path/filename that is simply too long.

Hope this helps?

JLepore
03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
You can usually delete anything from the command prompt. For files that have strange characters embedded, remember you can delete using the wildcard (done carefully!).

You can CD to directory containing the file, and then just do a del abc*, giving it as many characters to make sure it's unique in the directory you are in.

If there is an access problem, you are likely to find out about it this way as well.

Carl G.
03-29-2011, 06:17 AM

Here... this should help completely solve your problem:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

Gerrysan
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi,
Download a free program "UNLOCKER (http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/)" this should do it for you.