PDA

View Full Version : OT: No More EQ MAG

Tim Miskimon
03-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I saw it coming.
When EQ magazine started out it had some good writers, interviewers & a lot of good information.
I use to save them & read them cover to cover.
Over the past few years I've found myself looking through them quickly & then throwing them right in the garbage.
Some how I'm not interested in how Rap producers get their crappy distorted sounds...:eek:
I know it's merging with and turning into Electronic Musician which doesn't excite me at all. I stopped buying that magazine back in the 90s.
I guess the day of the magazine is numbered - kinda sad.
What you guys think?

CurtZHP
03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
I noticed some time ago it was starting to get thinner and thinner, and most of the articles feature people I've never heard of.

I've noticed Mix is getting thinner lately too.

The only one that seems to be getting fatter is Tape Op.

I stopped getting EM a while back because there wasn't much of interest in it for me. Looks like I'll be getting it again.

TotalSonic
03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
EQ (along with EM and Mix) have been getting skinnier and skinnier and pretty much less and less interesting for a long while now so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

TapeOp has always emphasized the people behind the glass rather than the gear they used - as well as being in the indie/diy ethic and community - so it's growth doesn't come as a surprise either. I find it's the only audio oriented mag these days which I pretty much can truly find interesting cover to cover.

I still enjoy reading Sound On Sound as well as TapeOp - but otherwise find that online is beating out the printed magazines in terms of audio production and industry news, articles and discussion. Yet another example of "video killed the radio star"!

(edit: at first I misinterpreted your post to mean that EQ Magazine was actually ceasing to be published - but googling now I just realized you mean that you are just no longer reading or subscribing to it yourself)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bill Park
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM
About ten years ago I mentioned this to some of my friends, and they suggested to me that i had outgrown the magazines, that there was little there for me, and that is why I was so dissatisfied with them.

Now, TapeOp cracks me up because they had a big turn around from their original mission to embracing all of the industry, but they too are harder to read as it is so much of the same thing, you can just insert a band or producer name, location, and the story is written. Same thing happened back in the 70s with Modern Recording.

SOS is great but pricy. Resolution, same thing. I like (and always have liked) Keyboard. Though I don't play keys, the mag often has the more accurate computer based audio information than the competition.

But the majority of the mags are just gear promo. And I can tell you from my days at ProRec, when asked, the readers want more gear reviews. So what is a publisher to do?

And here is another problem.... the quality writers left most of the mags years ago, as the publishers cut the price paid for an article in half, in half again, and then in half again. So who is writing the reviews? Often, not people with enough experience nor the equipment to properly review pro audio gear. Do you think that the quality of the writing has made the magazines less viable? I do. Maybe the publishers have been penny wise but pound foolish.

The best was probably REP, but that was lost a long time ago.

Tim Miskimon
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM
(edit: at first I misinterpreted your post to mean that EQ Magazine was actually ceasing to be published - but googling now I just realized you mean that you are just no longer reading or subscribing to it yourself)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

No - actually what I was saying was EQ was merging with EM into 1 magazine.
It seems that recently Newbay Media bought up EM, Mix Magazine and a few others so I guess merging a few of them together was bound to happen to save them money.

Tim Miskimon
03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
On another note - What ever happened to PAR magazine?
Is it still being published?
I stopped receiving it last year sometime and forgot all about it until the EQ topic popped up.

CurtZHP
03-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I stopped receiving it last year sometime and forgot all about it until the EQ topic popped up.

It's still around.

Dave Labrecque
03-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Wondered why we haven't been seeing you on the links lately, Tim. :p :rolleyes: :o

soundtrack2life
04-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Almost a year ago I posted this. . . .

OT-Music Mags
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11371

IMO at this point they should all hand it up. I go through a whole mag within one trip to the bathroom :D But seriously I think we are seeing the end of an era.
Joe

mixer100
04-01-2011, 08:16 AM
They've gotten skinnier because they reduced the font size to save pages/paper. So small that an old guy like me can hardly read it without a page magnifier!

studio-c
04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
It became a mag about guys making ring tones... :)

Jumped the shark at that point..

Tim Miskimon
04-01-2011, 12:03 PM
It became a mag about guys making ring tones... :)

:D

Tim Miskimon
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Almost a year ago I posted this. . . .

OT-Music Mags
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11371

IMO at this point they should all hand it up. I go through a whole mag within one trip to the bathroom :D But seriously I think we are seeing the end of an era.
Joe

Yeah I remember reading that.
I hate to see magazines go away - I personally hate reading for too long on a computer monitor - I find it really tiring on the eyes.
I do a large portion of my reading in bed.
It's okay to fall asleep and roll over on a magazine - it's not too good to roll over on a laptop or IPAD...:eek:

Tim Miskimon
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Wondered why we haven't been seeing you on the links lately, Tim. :p :rolleyes: :o

Oh I've been around - just haven't had much to say lately...:)

Dave Labrecque
04-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh I've been around - just haven't had much to say lately...:)

Sounds like you missed my golf joke. Damn, it was funny. :o

Tim Miskimon
04-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds like you missed my golf joke. Damn, it was funny. :o

I'm a golfer but ...:D:):D...anyway...:D