PDA

View Full Version : sorry one more today: outboard gear?

trock
02-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Is anyone here using outboard gear?? i have an avalon 747sp and TC m3000 reverb unit that incredible sounds and i would like to use them through an M-audio 410 now and later an RME Fireface 800

nothing specific here but i was wondering how many people might be using outboard gear in additon to SAW and the Plugs??

also how you set it up as Aux's?

thanks

Bob L
02-12-2005, 03:48 PM
You can send aux masters to an audio device output pair... then loop through your gear and return back into an audio device input on the Return track.

When doing so, SAWStudio's engine adjusts to automatically compensate for any delay and re-syncs the incoming signal into the MT loop.

Realize, that relying on outboard gear in this fashion eliminates any possibility of using the BuildMix functions... you must play the mix back live and capture on a 2 track or back into SAWStudio in realtime for a mixdown.

Bob L

trock
02-12-2005, 05:09 PM
i just saw the build mix feature a little while ago in one of the video's

so does this mean SAW is not set up for outboard gear? or just that it does final mixes its own way??

i know i need to dig alot further but the outboard gear cost alot and i love the sound of it vs plugs. they certainly were far better than the UA Studio Pak

so unless these plugs are different than what i am used to (Waves, UA etc) i will probably still need this stuff

thanks

conleec
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Trock,

SAW will work just fine with outboard gear. The reason that it won't work to use outboard gear with "buildmix" is that the buildmix functions faster (much faster) than realtime. You therefore cannot send your sound to outboard gear and have it effected during this process. As Bob said, you'll just have to play it in realtime and record back to another track(s). Or you'll have to record it to an external tape/hd of some sort.

Chris

trock
02-12-2005, 06:01 PM
ohhhh

got it

thats cool

pretty amazing stuff so far

i just finished Bob's band video's and that was pretty cool.

very well laid out

i can't figure out why no one really knows about this?

Does Bob want this to take off in a big way or is he content to have it where he can really interact with his customers etc and keep the quality?

Sean McCoy
02-12-2005, 06:01 PM
so does this mean SAW is not set up for outboard gear? Just to be clear on this: any software can integrate outboard gear to some degree as long as you have the proper physical inputs and outputs to place it in the chain. But as soon as you add a single piece of gear during the mix process, you eliminate internal mix building and are forced to do your mixes in realtime because the outboard gear is, well, outboard. This is true for all software.

Pedro Itriago
02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
...Unless you record a wet trac(s) coming form the outboard gear, put them in new track(s) and then mix it with the dry counterpart inside saw.

Just to be clear on this: any software can integrate outboard gear to some degree as long as you have the proper physical inputs and outputs to place it in the chain. But as soon as you add a single piece of gear during the mix process, you eliminate internal mix building and are forced to do your mixes in realtime because the outboard gear is, well, outboard. This is true for all software.

trock
02-12-2005, 06:14 PM
ok thanks for this info

it is something to check out in the next few days

Bob L
02-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Once you get settled in this virtual environment, you may find that your feeling of needing your physical gear gets less intense and you start realizing the extra power and efficiency you can achieve staying completely in the virtual realm.

I have not felt a need for physical gear for well over 2 years now. The buildmix functions are extremely useful and too powerful to give up, in my opinion.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
02-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I think tim knows my opinion very well ;) I have a nice saving's account now due to saw !

trock
02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi Bob

first let me tell you how impressed i am with SAW so far, and how amazed i am that this product is out there and yet so few people know about it??

and to have the develper here is unreal/surreal to me, speaking from one who has spent HOURS, no days! waiting for answers while sitting around dead in the water.

I have spent the last 3 years in MAC/Cubase/ hell and ended up back on my 2480 due to all the issues. but i totally missed the editing capabilites cubase etc gave me, backup, burning tracks, etc

i can't even imagine being able to sell my avalon stuff, My TC electronics stuff, the 2480, possibly the DR-880 machine and going to a BFD Superior drum enviornment etc adn an all SAW/plug in realm

I am cutting my first tracks tomorrow to A/B to the 2480.

i guess the worst thing that comes out of this if it really is all it seems to be is that no one on this forum will be in need of any really expensive outboard gear i will be selling :)

SoundSuite
02-12-2005, 08:12 PM
and to have the develper here is unreal/surreal to me, speaking from one who has spent HOURS, no days! waiting for answers while sitting around dead in the water.

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again...

Bob just flat-out embarrasses the other guys with his support.

Not only if a bug is found is it squashed, but you can actually provide feedback on the program and your opinions are taken in and considered.

This forum beats the crap outta just 'talking' to a form mail on a webpage and waiting for a response only to see it pop up in a generic faq on the website later.

Bob's support truly makes me feel that SAW is custom made for 'me'.
:D

Rabbit
02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
...and to have the develper here is unreal/surreal to me...

Trock, Here's a real world example of incredible customer support.

On 02-07-2005, 11:09 PM I posted a problem I ran into that turned out to be plug in related.

02-07-2005, 11:12 PM Bob L replied with a couple of suggested fixes, one whch did the trick. The problem was solved by about 11:20 PM. With Bob's guidance the problem was fixed in less than 15 minutes.

I have never had an experience quite like this when it comes to technical support. I was totally blown away by it really which only served to further solidify my knowledge that joining the SAW family was the best recording technology decision I could have made.

The rest of the people who post here are very friendly and helpful, some of them have years of experience with the various versions of SAW that have evolved over time, and everyone pitches in to help with questions and "how to's" when they can.

Regarding outboard processors; Even though I'm pretty new to SAW I've quickly adapted to the concept of doing everthing within the virtual domain and have no need four outboards anymore.

mghtx
02-12-2005, 09:25 PM

It is pretty amazing. I think, though, that a lot more people do know but just don't let on about it. Maybe they just don't want to let go of a certain app. that they use already. Or maybe they are "in the business" and don't want SAW to catch on. ;)

I found out about SAW through another music forum and checked it out myself. I suspect a lot of users found out this way or by word-of-mouth. I'll tell you this though.....I tell everyone about it now. :)

Oz Nimbus
02-13-2005, 09:47 AM

Because most Pro Audio mags are whores for advertisers.

Sean McCoy
02-13-2005, 10:49 AM
...Unless you record a wet trac(s) coming form the outboard gear, put them in new track(s) and then mix it with the dry counterpart inside saw.

True-but that still requires at least one realtime pass. It is a way to get around the lack of instant recall I mentioned in the other thread, however. Why haven't I been doing that?

MMP
02-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I often cut a reverb only track when tracking, guessing what I might want later on. I also send this to the headphones for talent.

MM