PDA

View Full Version : any news about 5.0 ?

averombri
04-03-2011, 07:55 AM
it is just a question....

TotalSonic
04-03-2011, 12:44 PM
And the answer is: no.

The educated guess towards the slight delay in the release is that the rewrites of the engine core are pretty complex and will take time to code and make stable.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mako
04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Hmmmm - hope Bob and family are in good health.

Yes - I check nearly every day too :)

cheers - mako

Leadfoot
04-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Yes something has changed. But with no clue about the state of things from the boss man, I guess we'll just have to wait it out. Sure was nice when he used to communicate with us.

Carl G.
04-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Yes something has changed. But with no clue about the state of things from the boss man, I guess we'll just have to wait it out. Sure was nice when he used to communicate with us.

Well, he has recent posts on the forum, but any lack of presence is either a well deserved break or a good sign of some serious coding. Either way, I see it as a positive.

Microstudio
04-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Wow... another 5.0 thread interesting I did not start it. ;)

matt
04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Wo
w... another 5.0 thread interesting I did not start it.

This isn't a retail store. Badgering won't get you what you want... it will most likely do the opposite.;) :) I've noticed this to be a common theme on other forums. A corporation will have people hired to deal with PR. This is one guy. Let him have a life.:confused:

Dave Labrecque
04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Last week someone posted a thread announcing that 5.0 had been released. I replied with something like 'huh?'. Then it got taken down. Very odd. FWIW. :o

ivanoff
04-04-2011, 08:36 AM
if it's not in the "announcements" is that it is not yet ready, but I could be wrong :p:p

Microstudio
04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Wo

This isn't a retail store. Badgering won't get you what you want... it will most likely do the opposite.;) :) I've noticed this to be a common theme on other forums. A corporation will have people hired to deal with PR. This is one guy. Let him have a life.:confused:

I don't understand why when the subject of SAW or MWS update comes up the Bob fighters come out of the woodwork and turn it into some kind of attack on Bob? And Matt I did not start this thread so chill.

Maybe a future update Sticky is in order. There BOB could keep us all up to date with weekly or monthly updates as to whats happening behind the coding door.

I think this would put an end to the "update" threads and keep the Bob fighters back on base. ;)

Craig Allen
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Last week someone posted a thread announcing that 5.0 had been released. I replied with something like 'huh?'. Then it got taken down. Very odd. FWIW. :o

It wasn't done on 4/1 was it?

Dave Labrecque
04-04-2011, 11:18 AM
if it's not in the "announcements" is that it is not yet ready, but I could be wrong :p:p

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Dave Labrecque
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
It wasn't done on 4/1 was it?

Ah.... you may have something there. :p

ivanoff
04-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Si 5.0 nesr pas dans la rubrique "announcements" c'est que 5.0 n'est pas pret, mais je peux me tromper !!! :p:p

bcorkery
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow... another 5.0 thread interesting I did not start it. ;)Thanks for the belly laugh!! :D

Dave Labrecque
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Si 5.0 nesr pas dans la rubrique "announcements" c'est que 5.0 n'est pas pret, mais je peux me tromper !!! :p:p

:)

Naturally Digital
04-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Sure was nice when he used to communicate with us.Tony, this seems a little shocking and a bit of a hit below the belt I must say.

FWIW I sincerely hope Bob has decided he has better things to do with his time than waste it on this forum, defending his actions and fending off attacks from the many angles that inevitably creep up. It's exactly what I would do in his shoes. These forums can be a huge time-suck for anyone, let alone someone as busy as Bob.

We're completely capable of chatting on our own, helping newbies along their way and submitting ideas for consideration. This forum can survive and thrive based on the entire community. It doesn't need to revolve around Bob and what he's doing with every moment of his life.

As is evident, he still chimes in... what's the problem? He's hinted at new features, some personal things that have needed attention and suggested there's an engine re-write in the works. Anyone who's been around for a few years will recognize the pattern here. You can bet Bob is hard at work, crafting this to be the amazing product we've seen in the past.

There are other ways of getting an update on the progress... pick up the phone and call the man for gosh sakes! Take 2 minutes to say hello and show some encouragement. I can tell you you'll get some news and a whole lot more. Positive energy is SO much more productive. Everyone gets to feel good and only good things will come from that kind of attitude.

I think we should all remind ourselves this isn't a huge corporation with all the marketing teams, hype etc. It's precisely that personal touch that makes it so special. :)

IraSeigel
04-04-2011, 11:58 PM
As is evident, he still chimes in... what's the problem? He's hinted at new features, some personal things that have needed attention and suggested there's an engine re-write in the works. Anyone who's been around for a few years will recognize the pattern here. You can bet Bob is hard at work, crafting this to be the amazing product we've seen in the past.

I'm, too, a bit surprised at the comment that we haven't heard from Bob lately. Really? He posts here almost every day, at least once a day lately, in threads alluding to problems with MIDI or a bug or somesuch.

Plus he's doing installs in Atlantic City, I believe, Las Vegas, and maybe other venues. Along with other projects, like helping Sheena Easton's music director get up and running with SAW for our shows.

As for "Anyone who's been around for a few years", I think the "old-timers" remember it was only 2 years ago or so that Bob suffered a devastating fire to his property. Right when he was getting ready to beta-release SAC.

I hope that these days he's changed his ways and is not barbecuing his Hebrew Nationals INDOORS!!:)

Carl G.
04-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Tony, this seems a little shocking and a bit of a hit below the belt I must say.

FWIW I sincerely hope Bob has decided he has better things to do with his time than waste it on this forum, defending his actions and fending off attacks from the many angles that inevitably creep up. It's exactly what I would do in his shoes. These forums can be a huge time-suck for anyone, let alone someone as busy as Bob.

We're completely capable of chatting on our own, helping newbies along their way and submitting ideas for consideration. This forum can survive and thrive based on the entire community. It doesn't need to revolve around Bob and what he's doing with every moment of his life.

There are other ways of getting an update on the progress... pick up the phone and call the man for gosh sakes! Take 2 minutes to say hello and show some encouragement. I can tell you you'll get some news and a whole lot more. Positive energy is SO much more productive. Everyone gets to feel good and only good things will come from that kind of attitude.

I think we should all remind ourselves this isn't a huge corporation with all the marketing teams, hype etc. It's precisely that personal touch that makes it so special. :)

+1

AcousticGlue
04-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Ah.... you may have something there. :p

Yes that was me and wasn't meant to be disrespectful. It was all the hype and April Fool joke.

Microstudio
04-05-2011, 05:18 AM
A question comes to mind some times, mine that is, What is going to happen to SAW when Bob retires or maybe even gets burnt out? He is a one man show and coding is not easy and very time consuming and the list is getting big and seems to never end.

My guess is that he does not sell a lot of SAW Full at over $2,000 and MWS at $200. SAC seems to be the product that is selling the most and that is the new baby so a lot of time has gone into it but at what cost... coding is hard work.

So another question comes to mind, how long can he keep doing this and for what? SAW is Bob's work of art but it stands alone in a sea of DAW's that cost way less and have a ton more features and appeal to the major market of DAW buyers, the home studio.

matt
04-05-2011, 05:32 AM
A question comes to mind some times, mine that is, What is going to happen to SAW when Bob retires or maybe even gets burnt out? He is a one man show and coding is not easy and very time consuming and the list is getting big and seems to never end.

My guess is that he does not sell a lot of SAW Full at over $2,000 and MWS at $200. SAC seems to be the product that is selling the most and that is the new baby so a lot of time has gone into it but at what cost... coding is hard work.

So another question comes to mind, how long can he keep doing this and for what? SAW is Bob's work of art but it stands alone in a sea of DAW's that cost way less and have a ton more features and appeal to the major market of DAW buyers, the home studio.

These are all valid concerns, but I think it can be put in prespective.

I have been using SAW since it was first released in the 90's... that's a long run for software. Any company can go bankrupt at any time... It has happened with hardware/software solutions leaving studio owners stuck with unsupported systems and a bad stigma to sell to their clients... not fun. Even if production came to a halt, you will still have a 32bit program that works on a 64 bit system better than some 64bit programs... and there's no dongle to contend with. You can't get this flexability in another DAW.

Leadfoot
04-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Tony, this seems a little shocking and a bit of a hit below the belt I must say.

Yes that was a little off color, I don't always say the right things. It's still difficult sometimes to convey what I'm thinking and put it in print and not come out badly. Just to repeat what you guys already know, I've always had top respect for Bob, and I'm pretty sure that won't ever change.

You have to admit the forecasting of things to come, has dwindled a bit in the last year or so, which in the past is very unlike Bob. I got used to that is all, and if it has changed for some of the reasons you mentioned above, of course I get it. But the not knowing part, is confusing at times, especially when there is no mention of a shift in presence or attitude towards the forum.

Yes the forums can be overwhelming and overly absorbing, speaking of which, I think you've subtly reminded me that I should get a life and stay away from here for a while.. :) uhm, not sure I can do that..

All he had to say was, I won't be able to hold your hand anymore, but I'm still here and not going anywhere anytime soon.. or something :)

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Tony

Dave Labrecque
04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes that was a little off color, I don't always say the right things. It's still difficult sometimes to convey what I'm thinking and put it in print and not come out badly. Just to repeat what you guys already know, I've always had top respect for Bob, and I'm pretty sure that won't ever change.

You have to admit the forecasting of things to come, has dwindled a bit in the last year or so, which in the past is very unlike Bob. I got used to that is all, and if it has changed for some of the reasons you mentioned above, of course I get it. But the not knowing part, is confusing at times, especially when there is no mention of a shift in presence or attitude towards the forum.

Yes the forums can be overwhelming and overly absorbing, speaking of which, I think you've subtly reminded me that I should get a life and stay away from here for a while.. :) uhm, not sure I can do that..

All he had to say was, I won't be able to hold your hand anymore, but I'm still here and not going anywhere anytime soon.. or something :)

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Tony

+1

Dave Labrecque
04-05-2011, 09:51 AM
You might be surprised to discover how long ago Bob's devastating fire was. Man, time flies when we get old, huh? :o

IraSeigel
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
You might be surprised to discover how long ago Bob's devastating fire was. Man, time flies when we get old, huh? :o

Sorry, I wouldn't know

dbarrow
04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Bob is clearly far more stable than just about any nation state in the world. The worst that could happen is that you would still have the program you have now. There isn't even any danger of radioactive isotopes...

Dave Labrecque
04-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Bob is clearly far more stable than just about any nation state in the world. The worst that could happen is that you would still have the program you have now. There isn't even any danger of radioactive isotopes...

Or so he would have us believe... :p

905shmick
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Bob runs a close second to the stability of Canada :)

IraSeigel
04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Bob runs a close second to the stability of Canada :)

In this case, I'm not sure what your smiley is for.

You need to get out of the studio more often. You ARE aware that the government just collapsed and you'll be having new elections next month?

Or was that Portugal...?

No comparison to RML is implied or intended....:)

905shmick
04-07-2011, 08:30 PM
In this case, I'm not sure what your smiley is for.

You need to get out of the studio more often. You ARE aware that the government just collapsed and you'll be having new elections next month?

Or was that Portugal...?

No comparison to RML is implied or intended....:)

I work for a large national news organization, so yes, I'm aware of current events going on here.

I also know we're trending for the another conservative minority, the same thing we've had for the last 5 years. This is our 3rd election in 5 years now.

I'd vote for Bob as our new PM :D

Cary B. Cornett
04-08-2011, 04:14 AM
I'd vote for Bob as our new PM :D What, and keep him too busy to continue work on our favorite software?? :eek: Nah, those gummint folks can go find somebody else...
;)

Microstudio
04-08-2011, 05:52 AM
What, and keep him too busy to continue work on our favorite software?? :eek: Nah, those gummint folks can go find somebody else...
;)

Only if he gets a Vice PM to help him. ;)

IraSeigel
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I work for a large national news organization, so yes, I'm aware of current events going on here.

Yeah, but it's CANADA! How much exciting stuff goes on there? I'm sure you have PLENTY of free time!:)

OK, I'm leaving now....

905shmick
04-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, but it's CANADA! How much exciting stuff goes on there? I'm sure you have PLENTY of free time!:)

OK, I'm leaving now....

It's only funny cuz it's true!

IraSeigel
04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
It's only funny cuz it's true!

Actually, I'm paying much more attention to all things Canadian these days. I am working with Natalie MacMaster and Leahy, and we have some very interesting political and other discussions as we tour along. I've learned a lot about national health, politics and hockey...:)