PDA

View Full Version : Metronome in 5.0?

Microstudio
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Ok I know I will get flamed for this but know I just bought a new fireproof suit ;)

It has been asked many times and there has been many reasons Bob has given NOT to put a CLICK option in SS or MWS. But as I have read through many many posts on this forum its seems to me that the reasons given NOT to put one in do not logically defend Bob's point.

Bob's point is he can make a click track very easily in SS or MWS and if he made a click option for SS and MWS people would just ask for more and more options for the click option which he made thus making a ton more work for him for the click option which could be better spent on other things. I can respect this point of view but think there would be far less people asking Bob to add or change options then there are or have been for him to make a click.

My view is that a simple built in click option that is just a click on or off that follows the tempo map and has a "TAP Tempo Keyboard entry" would be loved by 99% of the SAW family and if people wanted a different sound or other options they could use the options we have now.

I know how easy it is to make a click track now but as easy as it is... it is not as easy or a benefit to workflow as a built in click would be.

VOTE!

I rest my case and now I will put on my fireproof suit. Peace!

ivanoff
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
the JMS metronome works well.

Microstudio
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
the JMS metronome works well.

Not if you change Tempo mode it does not follow :(

31 views and only 4 votes?

Carey Langille
04-11-2011, 12:10 PM
JMS works, ( the OLD version) but doesnt track tempo at all... Its funny , i cant actually beileve someone voted NO to a feature so basic as click/metronome.. :rolleyes:

Oz Nimbus
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
A tempo map following metronome would be a big plus. It's do-able with MWS, but it's also a pain.

dbarrow
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
What would be super cool and probably not that hard would be to add the capability to play ACiD (or REX or whatever) loops and have the ability to drag a loop across the timeline and have it repeat. You could have a click loop, which could be anything (a wood block, stick click, whatever) and have it continue throughout the project. ACiD loops maintain their pitch, but are aware of project tempo and will stretch or compress in time to accommodate the tempo. Other friends of mine have even made loops that have a verbal count going ("one", "two", "three", "four") - kind of cheesy, but it works.

UpTilDawn
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
A quick on/off switch for a click that follows tempo changes would be a wonderful addition, but obviously needed for everyone's work styles..... Still, I'd love it.

averombri
04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
agree with the idea,specially able to follow the tempo map.

Himhui
04-12-2011, 05:55 AM
yes, I need it...

Richard Rupert
04-12-2011, 06:13 AM
I voted "yes", but it's a conditional yes. If the built-in click were to include a simple-to-create tempo map, I'd find it useful. Otherwise, the current JMS metronome option works fine for simple click tracks.

Dave Labrecque
04-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I voted "yes", but it's a conditional yes. If the built-in click were to include a simple-to-create tempo map, I'd find it useful. Otherwise, the current JMS metronome option works fine for simple click tracks.

Richard, do you not find the current offering for tempo map creation to be simple enough? Please elaborate.

Richard Rupert
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Richard, do you not find the current offering for tempo map creation to be simple enough? Please elaborate.
Hi Dave,
I've never used tempo maps in other DAWS other than Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track, which recorded only MIDI on an Atari. So I don't know how it's implemented by competitors. But if you could simply enable automation and change the tempo at a chosen measure, and have the click follow that new tempo... that would be easy IMHO. And frankly, I don't often have a call for this feature, so ease of use would be important for me to remember how to do it. Since the request is infrequent, I'm not in the "Oh, yes, please spend time on this Bob" camp. But if it were available, I'm sure I'd find opportunities to use it. Build it and they will come. So to speak. :)

Microstudio
04-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Just to refresh.

Would you use a built in metronome in SS or MWS that would follow the tempo map, be and on off button and have a keyboard Key Tap Tempo input?

Vote! Yes or No please.

Dave Labrecque
04-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi Dave,
I've never used tempo maps in other DAWS other than Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track, which recorded only MIDI on an Atari. So I don't know how it's implemented by competitors. But if you could simply enable automation and change the tempo at a chosen measure, and have the click follow that new tempo... that would be easy IMHO. And frankly, I don't often have a call for this feature, so ease of use would be important for me to remember how to do it. Since the request is infrequent, I'm not in the "Oh, yes, please spend time on this Bob" camp. But if it were available, I'm sure I'd find opportunities to use it. Build it and they will come. So to speak. :)

Hi Richard,

SAW can do that tempo map stuff. I, too, don't use it too often, but my recollection is that it's not all to tough to use, FYI. I guess I think that visible grid lines of some kind would make it easier, though. Or at least tempo change markers of some kind. FWIW. :)

Carey Langille
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
For the record, i voted YES, of course i would... Now who voted NO?? 4 wow :p

Bob L
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Use the MWS if you need serious control of tempo changes... you get tempo marker lines if needed... you can click the tempo up and down live during playback... etc... this stuff is more a midi thing than an audio thing.

Bob L

Atonepoet
04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
What I use is Fine Metronome. http://www.finemetronome.com/ It's not a plugin, It's standalone. But you can output it as a wave or mp3 file up to 16 bars in length. Plus it recognizes wave files so you can use your own sounds. What i did was to spend about 20 minutes making files of different tempos and time signatures, and put them into folders. Now all i have to do is paste them on the multitrack as needed. Another nice thing about this is you now have a visual reference for editing say out of time kick drums. Works well for me and it's only 20 bucks.

Microstudio
04-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Use the MWS if you need serious control of tempo changes... you get tempo marker lines if needed... you can click the tempo up and down live during playback... etc... this stuff is more a midi thing than an audio thing.

Bob L

Bob this is not a midi thing or audio, it is a timing thing. We all agree there ways to setup click tracks in SS & MWS but there is not a simple fast way that is just CLICK ON or CLICK OFF and there is no way to input the tempo you want other then guessing. A built in ON/OFF Metronome with keyboard Tap Tempo input that would follow the tempo map is so fundamental in making music and helps the work flow that I stand before you and say "please just put it on the list and make it happen I know even you will use it". ;)

As always thanks for taking the time to read in and respond.

Microstudio
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
What I use is Fine Metronome. http://www.finemetronome.com/ It's not a plugin, It's standalone. But you can output it as a wave or mp3 file up to 16 bars in length. Plus it recognizes wave files so you can use your own sounds. What i did was to spend about 20 minutes making files of different tempos and time signatures, and put them into folders. Now all i have to do is paste them on the multitrack as needed. Another nice thing about this is you now have a visual reference for editing say out of time kick drums. Works well for me and it's only 20 bucks.

That looks like a cool Metronome but it will not lock into SAW's tempo map :(

Carey Langille
04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
This looks intersting..Im trying it now, it seems to work ok.. You can even tap a tempo in and SAW follows it.. It just doesnt seem to stay at the tapped tempo... Scroll down to download the tap!it http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jez.price/effects.htm

dbarrow
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Bob LI don't have MWS yet. Does it do ACiD loops and the like? That might be a good feature to add if it doesn't. I have used those for all kinds of things in "other" programs.

Dave Labrecque
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't have MWS yet. Does it do ACiD loops and the like? That might be a good feature to add if it doesn't. I have used those for all kinds of things in "other" programs.

MWS (MidiWorkShop) is a MIDI-only sequencer add-on for SAWStudio.

Carey Langille
04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
YEAH 5 No's !!!

Ollie
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
It only makes good sense to add a metronome. Every other recording software has this functionality and it would be a convenience.

Microstudio
04-15-2011, 12:27 PM
It only makes good sense to add a metronome. Every other recording software has this functionality and it would be a convenience.

+1

And how anyone let alone 5 people as of this post voted no is BS..... they would use it.

Dave Labrecque
04-15-2011, 01:07 PM
+1

And how anyone let alone 5 people as of this post voted no is BS..... they would use it.

Man, remind me not to let it slip that I voted for Ross Perot. Oops.

Ian Alexander
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
+1

As of now, I have recorded one multi-tracked song in 17 years of DAW use. No BS, I don't have a use for it.:p

Craig Allen
04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
+1

If you didn't want people to vote no, then why did you put it up as an option?

Microstudio
04-15-2011, 03:20 PM
If you didn't want people to vote no, then why did you put it up as an option?

Just to show how people lie....;)

Craig Allen
04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Just to show how people lie....;)

Why would someone lie about using a metronome?

Microstudio
04-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Why would someone lie about using a metronome?

Ask this question insted. Why would someone not want to
ever use a metronome when recording and why do all DAWS
but SAW come with a built in Metronome? Peace.

Craig Allen
04-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Ask this question insted. Why would someone not want to
ever use a metronome when recording and why do all DAWS
but SAW come with a built in Metronome? Peace.

That's two questions. Why didn't you ask the first one before calling anyone who voted 'no' a liar? Not everyone works the same as you and doesn't require a metronome. It doesn't mean you can't ask or want one, but anyone who doesn't feel the same way isn't a liar.

Microstudio
04-15-2011, 08:12 PM
That's two questions. Why didn't you ask the first one before calling anyone who voted 'no' a liar? Not everyone works the same as you and doesn't require a metronome. It doesn't mean you can't ask or want one, but anyone who doesn't feel the same way isn't a liar.

Ok maybe they aren't liars but maybe they are just not telling
the truth? At least the yes's are winning.

WARDAK
04-15-2011, 08:32 PM
A metronome would be nice, however I doubt it's going to happen especially with the many available options for a click track in SS; is it really worth the extra coding but since every other DAW has one is it safe to assume coding is not the issue here?

Microstudio
04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
A metronome would be nice, however I doubt it's going to happen especially with the many available options for a click track in SS; is it really worth the extra coding but since every other DAW has one is it safe to assume coding is not the issue here?

I hear ya. I don't think it will happen but still hope it does
and the only way new things happen in Bob products are
from feedback from all of us and what Bob wants
so I thought I would post the question and a poll you never know.

Craig Allen
04-15-2011, 10:59 PM
At least the yes's are winning.
So is Charlie Sheen... :rolleyes:

Rabbit
04-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Built in click - Would I like it? Yes. Would I use it? Yes. Deal breaker? No...

At the risk of being held up as a liar I didn't vote. :)

Microstudio
04-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Built in click - Would I like it? Yes. Would I use it? Yes. Deal breaker? No...

At the risk of being held up as a liar I didn't vote. :)

Nice...;)

Carey Langille
04-16-2011, 01:05 PM
This is startingto feel like my EX wife.... You figure it out... 6 and counting!

MikeDee
04-18-2011, 08:30 AM
FWIW, I have grown to dislike (if not abhor) the sound of a metronome or click track, especially when laying down a fairly long track (e.g., piano)...it goes from distracting me to grating on my nerves.

In MWS, I create a one-bar kick/hi-hat/sidestick pattern and copy/paste it as far down the timeline as needed. If I need a longer "click" track, it's easy to append; if I have excess at the end, it's easy to cut it.

I can easily add/subtract hits and adjust various velocities, as well as the tempo, anywhere within the track. Even if I need to make a major change to the "click" track - e.g., change the hi-hat pattern from 8ths to 16ths (or even 32nds) for finer resolution in a very slow tune - I can simply add a second MIDI track (same port and channel) and overlay whatever pattern I'd like.

Bottom line: I prefer the sound and flexibility of rolling my own MWS "click" track vs. the usual audio click track...but this is my workflow, my preference...YMMV. :)

Micro, I have not voted as of this post. This is not to say that I would have voted "no"...it merely does not matter to me at this time. Should Bob decide to add a metronome feature which allows me to change the sounds (or possibly add my own samples), I might use it to save some time. But a metronome is not a priority for me right now...what I really need in SAWStudio ASAP is the exposure of MIDI functionality to all VST plugins (not just VSTi)...same as in SAC. [Not making a fuss, Bob...I'm waiting patiently. :D]

Grekim
04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
By the way, I have noticed there are small timing errors by using a midi click...at least the kind where you play out through a midi interface to a sound module. I don't recall the the numbers but I think it was around 40 samples at most. This is not a SAW issue as it happens in every DAW I've tested. So, if you are looking for deadly accracy, and you would with a click track, then the method of ctrl inserting a wavefile to the grid in SAW is superior. But, just to get an idea of tempo, yeah a metronome would be convenient without having to purchase MWS. You could always just use a $30 metronome to get it in the ballpark before you ctrl insert your wavefile.

Microstudio
04-25-2011, 07:50 AM
41 to 6 Yes is kicking butt..... Go Yes!

Sorry just had to ;)

mako
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
>snip<...what I really need in SAWStudio ASAP is the exposure of MIDI functionality to all VST plugins (not just VSTi)...same as in SAC. [Not making a fuss, Bob...I'm waiting patiently. :D]

I usually use MikeDee's method as well but I think a metronome would be welcomed by newcomers to SS.

cheers - mako

Carey Langille
04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Been on this RIDE for over 15 yrs, does my opinion count? Newbies and Oldtimers alike would enjoy it my friend.... and if you DONT use it, Im sure its not the only feature built into sawstudio you NEVER use or Would NEVER use....:rolleyes:

jazzboxmaker
05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
The metronome would be nice but we still need a way to set the tempo from the top client area. When you're fishing around for the right tempo it's a drag going into the menus-I know I could use the MWS but I only use that for straight MIDI. Double click the BPM box and type it in:cool:

Microstudio
05-18-2011, 07:40 AM
The metronome would be nice but we still need a way to set the tempo from the top client area. When you're fishing around for the right tempo it's a drag going into the menus-I know I could use the MWS but I only use that for straight MIDI. Double click the BPM box and type it in:cool:

+1

Carey Langille
05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
+

+