PDA

View Full Version : new DAW - multicore or not?

Scott P
04-26-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm hoping to get a new DAW in the next few weeks and the UAD thread has me wondering.

In the past Bob has recommended getting the fastest 2-core, like an e8600.

Is there a reason to go with a 4+ core chipset with SS? I'm pretty happy with the 2.8ghz I have, but some of the more CPU intensive plugs need a little more gas during rendering.

I'm hoping to stay with XP pro if I can.

Scott

Himhui
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Sandy bridge 2600K should be the one to go at this moment.... performance is better than i7 950 and is also much better than E8600...

SS works no problem with 4 or 6 cores , at least it won't slow SS down but benefits other applications......

Scott P
04-27-2011, 01:49 AM
Sandy bridge 2600K should be the one to go at this moment.... performance is better than i7 950 and is also much better than E8600...

SS works no problem with 4 or 6 cores , at least it won't slow SS down but benefits other applications......

Thanks, I'll look into the 2600K.

As far as other applications, this is a SS only machine. Unless there are plug-ins, etc. that I will be using with SS that can use the multiple cores, I still don't see the advantage.

Scott

Himhui
04-27-2011, 04:03 AM
The rest cores might look like dead horses but it still gains performance in SS

:p

Dave Labrecque
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM

Or the 2600 if you don't need it unlocked.

FWIW, my Sandy Bridge experience so far is that it does indeed slow things down for any session using UAD-1 plugs, if you didn't see that thread. Still looking for a way to remedy that...

Scott P
04-27-2011, 02:41 PM
FWIW, my Sandy Bridge experience so far is that it does indeed slow things down for any session using UAD-1 plugs, if you didn't see that thread. Still looking for a way to remedy that...

Your thread is what prompted my question. I don't use UAD and though I may change my mind, I have no intentions of ever using it. However, I see no reason to pay for something that's not really giving my much benefit, either.

I try to upgrade my DAW about every 2-3 years and I'm usually a year or two "behind", but I like stuff that's proven and hassle free. My business is small, but it does have it's frantic times when I can't afford to be experimenting.

Scott

Dave Labrecque
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Your thread is what prompted my question. I don't use UAD and though I may change my mind, I have no intentions of ever using it. However, I see no reason to pay for something that's not really giving my much benefit, either.

I try to upgrade my DAW about every 2-3 years and I'm usually a year or two "behind", but I like stuff that's proven and hassle free. My business is small, but it does have it's frantic times when I can't afford to be experimenting.

Scott

With no UAD plugs, my experience has been that it's way fast, so you oughta be fine. One odd thing is that sometimes the graphics in SAW freeze up during a build mix. The build seems to come out okay, but it never happened in XP (I'm on Win7 Home Premium x64).

Himhui
04-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi Dave,

I finally experienced a super slow vsti export one track with few notes in my i7...

I also found that export would be back to normal after I quited & reopened the project .....

Then I checked the exported files, one was 2 hr 49 min and the normal one was 4 min....I sweared I didn't made any regions to export for both cases!

Dave Labrecque
04-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi Dave,

I finally experienced a super slow vsti export one track with few notes in my i7...

I also found that export would be back to normal after I quited & reopened the project .....

Then I checked the exported files, one was 2 hr 49 min and the normal one was 4 min....I sweared I didn't maked any regions to export for both cases!

Are you saying that the exported audio was of different lengths, or that the time to render the exports was of different lengths?

Also -- were you using any UAD-1 plugins?

Himhui
04-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I were using vsti (vienna instruments), I knew that it wasn't the exact situation as yours but it might be related or similar. I guessed that sawstudio misread a longer region to render ..

Did you try to quit and reopen the project to render again?

In your case, selectting a region to export may help !

Dave Labrecque
05-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I were using vsti (vienna instruments), I knew that it wasn't the exact situation as yours but it might be related or similar. I guessed that sawstudio misread a longer region to render ..

Did you try to quit and reopen the project to render again?

In your case, selectting a region to export may help !

I think I did quit and reopen several times. I could check that, though.

This is for full session (multiple track) buildmixes through an output channel, not exporting. And I am using a marked area -- not building out the entire session, FWIW.