PDA

View Full Version : Liddle Country Diddy

Ollie
05-10-2011, 04:53 AM
For my Saw Brethren

http://www.riverbendstudio.com/stash/Alaina/ThinkAboutMe16.wav

ffarrell
05-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Very clean. Good placement of vocals. Well done.

thanks
fvf

Ollie
05-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks Frank. She is a talented young singer. Just at the end of her sophomore year in high school. She gets down to Nashville a few times a year and writes with some songwriters down there.

Ian Alexander
05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Great job. Talented singer and player. Not everyone can pull off a spare arrangement like that. How about some details on the tools and techniques? Room, mics, pres, guitar, plugs...

Angie
05-10-2011, 07:19 AM
What Ian said. :D
What mic/pre did you use on her voice?

Really nice job!

DavidandMary
05-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Nice!

Microstudio
05-10-2011, 07:39 AM
I love acoustic guitars.... good job. Listened to it in headphones... nice.

Marvin
05-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Love the guitars!
Ok, vocals aint bad either :)

Ollie
05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I recorded the vocals and mixed the tune. The guitars were cut in Nashville. The players are good, the instruments sound great and the engineer did a fine job of recording them. I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to get back to him and find out what he used.

As far as the vocals go, I have a Daking console that I use. So the chain went like this on the record side:
Wunder CM7 with an original M7 capsule -> 15 db pad -> daking console pre -> Dbx 160 VU that kicks in at 4:1 when VU swings past zero -> Shadow Hills dual optograph(great sounding optical comp) on record set to a Neve transformer-> to tape -> to saw. Compression is light just to control

Mix the vocal went back though the Daking console -> eq'd a bit and into a Daking comp -> Shadow Hills set on Nickel transformer. A touch of yamaha spx2000 chamber verb(external) and some acousticas(in the box Lex chamber)

Having the ability to compensate for recording on to tape using saw is a breeze.

Mix on the guitars was using various comps and eq's: Acousticas reverbs emulating a EMT verb on the guitars

Mixed down to tape with SR and ported back into SAW.

Richard Rupert
05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Very nice in every way! Thanks for uploading for our listening enjoyment. :)

ffarrell
05-10-2011, 10:08 AM
ah, ya, Just as I thought. :eek:

fvf

I recorded the vocals and mixed the tune. The guitars were cut in Nashville. The players are good, the instruments sound great and the engineer did a fine job of recording them. I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to get back to him and find out what he used.

As far as the vocals go, I have a Daking console that I use. So the chain went like this on the record side:
Wunder CM7 with an original M7 capsule -> 15 db pad -> daking console pre -> Dbx 160 VU that kicks in at 4:1 when VU swings past zero -> Shadow Hills dual optograph(great sounding optical comp) on record set to a Neve transformer-> to tape -> to saw. Compression is light just to control

Mix the vocal went back though the Daking console -> eq'd a bit and into a Daking comp -> Shadow Hills set on Nickel transformer. A touch of yamaha spx2000 chamber verb(external) and some acousticas(in the box Lex chamber)

Having the ability to compensate for recording on to tape using saw is a breeze.

Mix on the guitars was using various comps and eq's: Acousticas reverbs emulating a EMT verb on the guitars

Mixed down to tape with SR and ported back into SAW.

Carl G.
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
ah, ya, Just as I thought. :eek:

fvf
"That's right, Chief! Great imitation of Maxwell Smart!

UpTilDawn
05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Excellent!
Love acoustic guitars and a great female voice! :)

ffarrell
05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
My other phones is a shoe. :D

"That's right, Chief! Great imitation of Maxwell Smart!

Angie
05-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Shadow Hills dual optograph(great sounding optical comp) on record set to a Neve transformer-> to tape -> to saw. Compression is light just to control

How cool is that. I hadn't paid much attention to the optograph before. If I had the cash I'd have one here. I truly believe that the magic is in the transformers. Our rack of old Altecs are getting a workout these days.

William Bushnell
05-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Very nice. Really like how the guitars turned out. With a Voice like that and still in high school? I think she has a great future ahead of her.

Ollie
05-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi Angie,
Would love to know what Altecs you have. I had an old Altec 4 channel tube piece that I used as a pre. I ended up trading to the guy I bought the console from for some extra channels. I loved that unit. It was great.

I like both the Optograph and the Vandegraph. Shadow Hills makes solid products. On the Opto you can choose your flavor of tranny from steel(api like), iron(neve like), and nickel(De Medio). Cool piece.

How cool is that. I hadn't paid much attention to the optograph before. If I had the cash I'd have one here. I truly believe that the magic is in the transformers. Our rack of old Altecs are getting a workout these days.

kylesoundman
05-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Beautiful work! :)

Butch Bos
05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Most of the Altec tube gear had the same circuit design 12AX7s for preamps and 6FQ7 for outputs which could drive a 70V speaker to almost 1 watt
Same input transformers but 2 different output transformers
Just tried out a VST of the EMI rs124 compressor which was a modified Altec 436 which I have 6 of
The VST even has the same noise floor and meter movement (IF it was african green I would be in love)
I grew up on Altec African Green Gear with tubes

Butch

JonathanT
05-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Very cool, nice work Ollie

Angie
05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Angie,
Would love to know what Altecs you have. I had an old Altec 4 channel tube piece that I used as a pre. I ended up trading to the guy I bought the console from for some extra channels. I loved that unit. It was great.

We have a rack of Altecs. We started out with a couple of 1591a's which are the pre/compressors. We ended up with a 1566 on trade. Then my husband went a little crazy. There are now four 1591a's, two 1566's, 2 1592's which are 5 channel mixers and a 1589B 2 channel mixer. Only the 1566s are tube. The 1591's have been my go to for vocals and VO. And the 1566's get a lot of use also.